Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Using BGP as an Auto-Discovery Mechanism for 
                          Layer-3 and Layer-2 VPNs
	Author(s)	: H. Ould-Brahim, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-06.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2005-6-28
	
In any Layer-3 and Layer-2 VPN scheme, the Provider Edge (PE) 
   devices attached to a common VPN must exchange certain information 
   as a prerequisite to establish VPN-specific connectivity. The main 
   purpose of an auto-discovery mechanism is to enable a PE to 
   dynamically discover the set of remote PEs having VPN members in 
   common. The auto-discovery mechanism proceeds by having a PE 
   advertises to other PEs, at a minimum, its own IP address and the
   list of VPN members configured on that PE. Once that information is 
   received the remote PEs will then identify the list of VPN members 
   they have in common with the advertising PE, and use the information 
   carried within the discovery mechanism to either establish layer-2/3 
   VPN connectivity or to learn remote site VPN routes. This draft 
   defines a BGP based auto-discovery mechanism for layer-2 VPN 
   architectures and Virtual router-based layer-3 VPNs. This mechanism 
   is based on the approach used by BGP/MPLS-IP-VPN for distributing 
   VPN routing information within the service provider(s). In the 
   context of L2VPNs, an auto-discovery mechanism enables a PE to 
   determine the set of other PEs having VPN members in common along 
   with information relative to each specific L2VPN endpoints such as 
   attachment circuit identifier, topology information, etc. Each VPN 
   scheme uses the mechanism to automatically discover the information 
   needed by that particular scheme.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce