Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-manning-opcode-discover-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:54:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Supporting unicast replies to multicast queries 
			  in the DNS or DISCOVER opcode defined
	Author(s)	: B. Manning, P. Vixie
	Filename	: draft-manning-opcode-discover-01.txt
	Pages		: 0
	Date		: 2005-6-3
	
The QUERY opcode in the DNS is designed for unicast environments. 
With the development of multicast capabilities in the DNS, it is  
desirable to have a more robust opcode for server interactions since a 
single request may generate replies from multiple responders. So 
DISCOVER is defined to deal with replies from multiple responders.

As such, this document documents experimental extensions the core DNS
specifications that were made during the TBDS effort, to allow clients 
to have a method for coping with replies from multiple responders. Use 
of this new opcode may facilitate DNS operations in modern networking 
topologies. A prototype of the DISCOVER opcode was developed during 
the TBDS project (1999-2000), funded under DARPA grant F30602-99-1-0523.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manning-opcode-discover-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-manning-opcode-discover-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-manning-opcode-discover-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce