Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Registration Policies for the IETF and IANA
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin, et al.
	Filename	: draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2005-6-28
	
   For many years, the IETF has maintained, via the IANA, registries of
   protocol and parameter names and numbers.  The primary purpose of
   these registries is to ensure that different methods and options are
   properly identified and distinguished.  Registration of such names or
   numbers generally does not necessarily imply approval of the
   technology in the corresponding protocol.  Instead, registration
   represents the desire to keep distinct options identified, separated,
   and public to avoid conflicts in use.  In recent years, various
   changes in the nature of the instructions given to the IANA,
   increased perceptions of scarcity in the number spaces associated
   with some of the parameters, and other issues have led to a shift in
   emphasis from ^registration to keep identifiers unique^ toward
   evaluations of the quality of proposals of and preferences among
   protocols.  This document argues that shift is undesirable.  It
   articulates and clarifies the principles that the reasons for
   evaluation of registration requests is to ensure a minimum quality of
   definition, that any assertions of scarcity to restrict registrations
   must be accompanied by a plan for eliminating the scarcity problem,
   and that, if such a plan is not possible, to establish criteria for
   making decisions that are as specific and objective as possible.

   This document is intended to update the general considerations of RFC
   2434, the specific allocation rules of RFC 2780, and the evaluation
   criteria associated with other documents that condition an IANA
   registration on Expert Review with IESG oversight or on IESG or IETF
   action.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-iana-reg-policy-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce