Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 15:54:42 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Codecs Parameter for "Bucket" Media Types
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens, et al.
	Filename	: draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2005-6-3
	
Several MIME type/subtype combinations exist which can contain
    different media formats.  A receiving agent thus needs to examine
    the details of such media content to determine if the specific
    elements can be rendered given an available set of codecs.
    Especially when the end system has limited resources, or the
    connection to the end system has limited bandwidth, it would be
    helpful to know from the Content-Type alone if the content can be
    rendered.

    This document adds a new parameter, "codecs", to various
    type/subtype combinations to allow for unambiguous specification of
    the codecs indicated by the media formats contained within.
    
    By labeling content with the specific codecs indicated to render the
    contained media, receiving systems can determine if the codecs are
    supported by the end system, and if not, can take appropriate action
    (such as rejecting the content, sending notification of the
    situation, transcoding the content to a supported type, fetching and
    installing the required codecs, further inspection to determine if
    it will be sufficient to support a subset of the indicated codecs,
    etc.)

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce