Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pan-pwe3-over-sub-ip-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Dry-Martini: Supporting Pseudo-wires in Sub-IP Access Networks
	Author(s)	: P. Pan
	Filename	: draft-pan-pwe3-over-sub-ip-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-7-15
	
Several recent developments have significantly affected the carrier
access networks.  First, all large carrier backbones have migrated to
MPLS. Second, carriers are upgrading access circuits with less expensive
and high-speed Ethernet. Finally, the carriers will be offering advanced
data services over the access network infrastructure. Subsequently, the
carriers have to face challenges in migration cost, data transport
efficiency and edge-to-edge user traffic management.

The Dry-Martini architecture is designed to help the carriers to
alleviate these challenges. It provides an approach to establish and
maintain pseudo-wires over any access network infrastructure, while
stripping off much of the IP/MPLS routing and signaling features that
are irrelevant in access network. As a result, all the existing
transport equipment, such as SONET/SDH MSPP, can provide MPLS pseudo-
wire functionality without much change to the existing platform.
Further, due its simplicity, this approach allows the new access
devices, such as PON’s and Ethernet CPE’s, to maintain low cost, while
being able to interface with MPLS networks.

This document assumes that the reader has at least some familiarity with
MPLS and pseudo-wire technologies.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pan-pwe3-over-sub-ip-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pan-pwe3-over-sub-ip-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pan-pwe3-over-sub-ip-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce