Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Procedures for Review and Approval of IETF Standards-Track Documents
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2005-7-12
	
   Somewhat over a decade ago, the IETF responded to a series of
   perceived problems with the then-IAB by restructuring the way in
   which the IAB and IESG were constituted and assigning all standards-
   approval and closely-related processes to the IESG.  In retrospect,
   that decision has had serious downsides: among them are the
   observations that the IESG has become overloaded to the point that
   the role requires an unreasonable level of investment and that the
   intertwining of managing WGs and then reviewing and approving their
   products has led to confusion and the risk, and sometimes the
   appearance, of inherent conflicts of interest and abuses.  This
   document proposes to re-separate the ^steering^ and ^WG management^
   functions that were orginally the IESG's responsibility from the
   ^final review and standards approval^ roles and respecifies the
   standards approval process in that context.

   The general concepts outlined in this document have been discussed
   informally in the community for some time.  This document is provided
   as a specific proposal to facilitate a focused discussion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-stds-review-panel-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce