Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Changes Needed to Allow for IPv6 Network Discovery
	Author(s)	: R. Pashby
	Filename	: draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 2005-7-14
	
The purpose of the draft is to provide mechanisms to discover all 
nodes and addresses on an IPv6 network.

Network discovery is a key to network management and network 
security. In IPv4 the most effective way to discover what devices 
were attached to the network was to walk the entire network address 
space. While this was easily done in IPv4, it is impossible in 
IPv6, due to the large range of addresses on a network. Currently 
there is no effective way to discover the nodes on an IPv6 network. 

This document describes the changes that need to be made to allow 
for discovering nodes on an IPv6 network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-network-discovery-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce