Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Better-Than-Nothing Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Problem and Applicability Statement for Better
                          Than Nothing Security (BTNS)
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-00.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2005-7-5
	
   The Internet network security protocol suite, IPsec, consisting of 
   IKE, ESP, and AH, currently requires authentication via IKE of 
   network layer entities to bootstrap security. This authentication can 
   be based on mechanisms such as pre-shared symmetric keys, pre-shared 
   certificates and associated asymmetric keys, or the use of Kerberos. 
   The need for authentication information and its associated identities 
   between network layer entities can be a significant obstacle to 
   deploying network security.  This document explains the rationale for 
   extending to the Internet network security suite to enable use of 
   IPsec security mechanisms without full IKE authentication. These 
   extensions are intended to protect communication ^better than 
   nothing^ (BTNS) on their own (Stand Alone BTNS, or SAB), and may be 
   useful in providing network layer security that can be authenticated 
   by higher layers in the protocol stack, called Channel Bound BTNS 
   (CBB). This document also explains situations in which use of SAB and 
   CBB extensions are appropriate and can achieve their intended 
   benefit. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce