Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Receiver-Driven Extensions to SMTP
	Author(s)	: Z. Duan, et al.
	Filename	: draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2005-7-6
	
The Differentiated Mail Transfer Protocol (DMTP) provides simple
   extensions to the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) that enable
   receivers to exercise greater control over the email delivery
   process.  The current SMTP-based email delivery architecture is
   fundamentally sender-driven and distinctly lacks receiver control
   over the message delivery mechanisms.  This document describes DMTP
   that enables receivers to classify senders into three categories --
   allowed, denied, and unclassified -- and process the delivery of
   messages from each category independently.  As is the current
   practice, receivers may directly accept messages from senders in the
   allowed category and decline senders in the denied category.  In
   addition, DMTP receivers require senders in the unclassified category
   to store messages on the senders' own mail servers.  Such messages
   are retrieved only if and when the end receivers wish to do so.  By
   granting  greater control over message  delivery to receivers and
   imposing greater message storage and maintenance overhead on senders,
   DMTP provides  significant  advantages in  controlling spam.  DMTP
   also easily operates in conjunction  with (but does not require) many
   currently deployed anti-spam techniques.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-duan-smtp-receiver-driven-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce