Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-7-8
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
   Labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
   MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
   payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
   compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
   compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
   packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
   each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
   efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
   simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
   pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
   messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
   (LSR), and the pseudowires define a point to point instance of each
   HC session at the header decompressor.  Standard HC methods (e.g.,
   ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are re-used to determine the context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ash-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce