Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-flynn-rtgwg-lcf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Limited Core Fix (LCF) Multicast
	Author(s)	: L. Flynn, et al.
	Filename	: draft-flynn-rtgwg-lcf-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2005-8-22
	
   This Internet Draft describes the Limited Core Fix (LCF) multicast t 
   protocol for IP multicast routing.  Since the existing multicast 
   protocols rely on RFC 1112 as their foundation, multicast is 
   characterized by a host join attribute not involving knowledge by the 
   source.  Evolving uses of multicast may be seen to require joins on a 
   more qualified basis and may require knowledge of such joins by the 
   source.  An example,  is IP wireless multicast in which the source 
   (i.e., service provider) will want to charge for specific channels 
   (in the TV sense) and limit transmission to those hosts paying for 
   the service.  Other qualifications may be needed in providing high 
   quality broadband service.  Other examples for which a qualification-
   based multicast could be developed include bandwidth needs, jitter or
   latency requirements, or restrictions on who gets particular 
   transmissions.  In order to accommodate these requirements, or a 
   dynamic group membership for collaboration activities.  The 
   qualification-based multicast described in LCF uses a depth-first-
   search technique to find new routes to a multicast source when 
   needed, an attribute that minimizes transmission bandwidth to update 
   the tree and utilizes tables significantly smaller than those of 
   normal multicast.  The draft discusses the notion of qualification-
   based multicast as a generalization of Quality-of-Service (QoS) 
   routing for multicast.  LCF can be used to build multicast trees in a 
   sparse-mode fashion and implements receiver-initiated multicast 
   repair for damaged multicast trees. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-flynn-rtgwg-lcf-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-flynn-rtgwg-lcf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-flynn-rtgwg-lcf-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce