Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: DNS Blacklists Considered Harmful
	Author(s)	: A. Church
	Filename	: draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-00.txt
	Pages		: 1
	Date		: 2005-8-23
	
   As spam continues to grow throughout the Internet, various
   countermeasures have been developed.  Among these is the ^DNS
   blacklist^, a DNS server configured to return a ^good^ or ^bad^
   response to a query on a given IP address; mail servers can be
   configured to automatically query such a server and reject messages
   which are flagged ^bad^.  If the blacklist is accurate, this allows
   mail servers to reject spam without wasting the time of the human
   recipient or the resources of the server.  However, between delays
   in responding to environmental changes and arbitrary operational
   decisions by blacklist operators, such blocking of mail in fact
   causes significant harm to innocent third parties.  This note
   describes the issues concerning these blacklists and suggests ways
   to resolve the attendant problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-church-dnsbl-harmful-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce