Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-inch-rid-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extended Incident Handling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Incident Handling: Real-time Inter-network Defense
	Author(s)	: K. Moriarty
	Filename	: draft-ietf-inch-rid-04.txt
	Pages		: 67
	Date		: 2005-9-20
	
Network security incidents, such as system compromises, worms,
    viruses, phishing incidents, and denial of service (DoS), typically
    result in the loss of service, data, and resources both human and
    system.  Network Providers (NPs) need to be equipped and ready to
    assist in communicating and tracing security incidents with tools
    and procedures in place before the occurrence of an attack.  This
    paper outlines a proactive inter-network communication method to
    facilitate sharing incident handling data and integrate existing
    tracing mechanisms across NP boundaries to identify the source(s)
    of an attack. The various methods implemented to detect and trace
    attacks must be coordinated on the NPs' network as well as provide
    a communication mechanism across network borders.  It is imperative
    that NPs have quick communication methods defined to enable
    neighboring NPs to assist in reporting or tracking a security
    incident across networks.  A complete solution integrating incident
    detection, source identification, reporting and communication
    capabilities, and methods to stop attack traffic is necessary to 
    attain higher security levels on networks.  Policy guidelines for
    handling incidents are recommended and can be agreed upon by a
    consortium using the security recommendations and considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-inch-rid-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-inch-rid-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-inch-rid-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce