Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-laganier-send-ll-hba-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Link Layer Hashed Based Addresses (LL-HBA) for Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND)
	Author(s)	: J. Laganier, G. Montenegro
	Filename	: draft-laganier-send-ll-hba-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2005-9-14
	
   The current mechanisms used by Secure Neighbor Discovery (SEND) to
   secure the Neighbor Discovery Protocol (NDP) relies almost solely on
   public key cryptography (i.e.  Certificates and/or Cryptographically
   Generated Addresses).  While these approaches provide very strong
   guarantees on the authenticity of an IP address to link layer address
   mapping, they are computationally expensive, which might be a problem
   on resource-constrained devices.

   It is also recognized in the SEND specification that it does not
   compensate for an insecure link layer; more specifically, no
   protections are offered against spoofing, link disruption, or bombing
   DoS attacks launched at the link layer.  Accordingly, this note
   suggests an alternative to the current specification of SEND which
   leverage on the deemed required link layer security to secure NDP.
   This technique is based on the use of a specific kind of IPv6
   addresses, the so-called Link Layer Hashed Based Addresses (LL-HBA),
   and of link layer address reachability tests.

   When the link layer security prevents attacker to redirect frames at
   the link layer layer, this technique allows to provide some level of
   security to NDP while relying solely on symmetric (i.e.,
   computationally inexpensive) cryptography.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-laganier-send-ll-hba-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-laganier-send-ll-hba-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-laganier-send-ll-hba-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce