Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Better-Than-Nothing Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Problem and Applicability Statement for Better
                          Than Nothing Security (BTNS)
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2005-9-26
	
The Internet network security protocol suite, IPsec, consisting of 
   IKE, ESP, and AH, currently requires authentication via IKE of 
   network layer entities to bootstrap security. This authentication can 
   be based on mechanisms such as pre-shared symmetric keys, 
   certificates and associated asymmetric keys, or the use of Kerberos. 
   The need for authentication information and its associated identities 
   between network layer entities can be a significant obstacle to 
   deploying network security.  This document explains the rationale for 
   extending the Internet network security suite to enable use of IPsec 
   security mechanisms without full IKE authentication. These extensions 
   are intended to protect communication "better than nothing" (BTNS) on 
   their own (Stand Alone BTNS, or SAB), and may be useful in providing 
   network layer security that can be authenticated by higher layers in 
   the protocol stack, called Channel Bound BTNS (CBB). This document 
   also explains situations in which use of SAB and CBB extensions are 
   appropriate and can achieve their intended benefit.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce