Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-musthafa-pim-unrouted-data-handling-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Unrouted Data Handling in PIM-SM
	Author(s)	: A. Musthafa, et al.
	Filename	: draft-musthafa-pim-unrouted-data-handling-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2005-9-12
	
A shared-media LAN like Ethernet may have multiple PIM-SM routers
connected to it. In a scenario where two or more routers are connected 
to the same LAN and if only one of the PIM-SM Routers has members
joined for a particular group, all the other routers will receive the 
same traffic. Since no members are joined for this group in the
routers, each time when data is received, the PIM-SM has the overhead 
of processing all these data packets in the control plane to decide 
where to route the packet. 
To avoid this, an (S, G) or (*, G) Entry with NULL Oif list is 
created so that discarding of the packets will be handled efficiently 
in the data plane as opposed to searching the route entry in the 
control plane and then dropping the packet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-musthafa-pim-unrouted-data-handling-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-musthafa-pim-unrouted-data-handling-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-musthafa-pim-unrouted-data-handling-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce