Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Passive Duplicate Address Detection for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
	Author(s)	: A. Forte
	Filename	: draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2005-9-29
	
   In a Layer 3 (L3) handoff procedure, one of the biggest components in
   terms of delay is introduced by the DHCP address acquisition time
   required for obtaining a valid IP address for the new subnet.
   Duplicate Address Detection (DAD) is the most time consuming part of
   the whole DHCP procedure.  In this document we propose a new DAD
   scheme which has been proven to be effective without introducing any
   significant delay.  By using such a scheme we can avoid duplicate
   address and at the same time keep the address acquisition time in the
   order of a few milliseconds.  Using the new procedure will also
   permit to detect an unauthorized use of a particular IP address even
   if no duplicate IP has yet occurred.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-forte-dhc-passive-dad-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce