Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-saito-mmusic-ipsec-negotiation-req-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Requirements for IPsec Negotiation in the SIP Framework
	Author(s)	: M. Saito, S. Fujimoto
	Filename	: draft-saito-mmusic-ipsec-negotiation-req-01.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2005-10-21
	
As the Internet grows, it becomes inevitable even for the general 
   users to take measures against the security risks such as tapping, 
   unauthorized access, and so on. For example, we can consider the use 
   case of networked home appliances which cannot have the rich 
   calculation resources and may use the dedicated transport protocol 
   for the media session. In such a case, it is effective to connect 
   such devices securely using IPsec [1] because it does not require the 
   rich resources, and is independent of the upper layer protocol. Also 
   from the viewpoint of implementation, IPsec is not only widespread in 
   IPv4, but also mandatory in IPv6 which is expected in the networked 
   home appliances region. 
    
   However, it is necessary to set up a lot of option parameters 
   properly in order to establish the IPsec connection. And it requires 
   the technical knowledge even if using IKE, which does it 
   automatically. At least, IKE is not so simple that the general users 
   who do not know the security well can handle. 
    
   By the way, SIP [2] mechanism, which has a function of flexible 
   negotiation, enables the different applications to connect to each 
   other easily by negotiating the codec, frame rate, and so on. On the 
   other hand, we found out the similarity between IPsec configuration 
   and parameter configuration for media session, and we thought to 
   negotiate the parameters for IPsec easily with using SIP. 
   Particularly, if the application itself supports SIP by nature, there 
   should be more merits. 
    
   In this document, we provide some use cases of IPsec communication 
   systems. Then we explain what kind of IPsec parameters should be 
   negotiated on SIP. Note that we assumed that the system users are 
   end-users who are not familiar with IPsec. This document also offers 
   the candidate methods to realize it, including the existing specs, 
   and which one we should take among them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-saito-mmusic-ipsec-negotiation-req-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-saito-mmusic-ipsec-negotiation-req-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-saito-mmusic-ipsec-negotiation-req-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce