Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Tools for the Evaluation of Simulation and Testbed Scenarios
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, E. Kohler
	Filename	: draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2005-10-17
	
This document describes tools for the evaluation of simulation and
    testbed scenarios used in research on Internet congestion control
    mechanisms.  We believe that research in congestion control
    mechanisms has been seriously hampered by the lack of good models
    underpinning analysis, simulation, and testbed experiments, and that
    tools for the evaluation of simulation and testbed scenarios can
    help in the construction of better scenarios, based on better
    underlying models.  One use of the tools described in this document
    is in comparing key characteristics of test scenarios with known
    characteristics from the diverse and ever-changing real world.
    Tools characterizing the aggregate traffic on a link include the
    distribution of per-packet round-trip times, the distribution of
    packet sequence numbers, and the like.  Tools characterizing end-to-
    end paths include drop rates as a function of packet size and of
    burst size, the synchronization ratio between two end-to-end TCP
    flows, and the like.  For each characteristic, we describe what
    aspects of the scenario determine this characteristic, how the
    characteristic can affect the results of simulations and experiments
    for the evaluation of congestion control mechanisms, and what is
    known about this characteristic in the real world.  We also explain
    why the use of such tools can add considerable power to our
    understanding and evaluation of simulation and testbed scenarios.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-tmrg-tools-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce