Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Site Multihoming by IPv6 Intermediation Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Level 3 multihoming shim protocol
	Author(s)	: E. Nordmark
	Filename	: draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt
	Pages		: 52
	Date		: 2005-10-12
	
The SHIM6 working group is exploring a layer 3 shim approach for
   providing locator agility below the transport protocols, so that
   multihoming can be provided for IPv6 with failover and load spreading
   properties, without assuming that a multihomed site will have a
   provider independent IPv6 address which is announced in the global
   IPv6 routing table.  The hosts in a site which has multiple provider
   allocated IPv6 address prefixes, will use the shim6 protocol
   specified in this document to setup state with peer hosts, so that
   the state can later be used to failover to a different locator pair,
   should the original one stop working.

   This document picks a particular approach to such a protocol and
   tries to flush out a bunch of details, with the hope that the WG can
   better understand the details in this proposal as well as discovering
   and understanding alternative designs that might be better.  Thus
   this proposal is my no means cast in stone as the direction; quite to
   the contrary it is a depth first exploration of the design space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce