Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Improving DNS Service Availability by Using Long TTLs
	Author(s)	: V. Pappas, et al.
	Filename	: draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2005-10-19
	
   Due to the hierarchical tree structure of the Domain Name System
   [RFC1034][RFC1035], the loss of all the authoritative servers of a
   zone can disrupt not only services to the zone but also all of its
   descendants.  This problem is particularly severe if all the
   authoritative servers of the root zone, or some top level domain
   zones, fail.  Although proper placement of secondary servers, as
   discussed in [RFC2182], can be effective means against isolated
   failures, it is insufficient to protect DNS service against
   intentional attacks such as distributed denial of service (DDoS)
   attacks.  This document proposes to mitigate the impact of DDoS
   attacks against top level DNS servers by setting long (weeks or
   months) TTL values for NS records and their associated A records.
   Our analysis shows that this simple operational change can
   dramatically reduce the impact of successful DDoS attacks on the DNS
   service availability with little impact on DNS performance.  To
   increase the availability of cached data this draft also proposes a
   simple rule for refreshing caches.  All the proposed changes are
   purely operational and can be incrementally deployed with no protocol
   changes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce