Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN
	Author(s)	: H. Shah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-04.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2005-10-21
	
The VPWS service [L2VPN Framework] provides point-to-point 
    connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE) devices.  It does 
    so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each connecting a CE device 
    with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a pseudo-wire (connecting the 
    two PEs).  In general, the Attachment Circuits must be of the same 
    technology (e.g., both Ethernet, both ATM), and the pseudo-wire 
    must carry the frames of that technology.  However, if it is known 
    that the frames' payload consists solely of IP datagrams, it is 
    possible to provide a point-to-point connection in which the 
    pseudo-wire connects Attachment Circuits of different technologies.  
    This requires the PEs to perform a function known as "ARP 
    Mediation".  ARP Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 
    2 addresses when different resolution protocols are used on either
    Attachment Circuit. The methods described in this document are 
    applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between them, 
    as long as the routing protocol runs over IP. In particular, the 
    applicability of ARP mediation to ISIS is not addressed as IS-IS 
    PDUs are not sent over IP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce