Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hemige-pim-improved-assert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Improved Assert in PIM-SM
	Author(s)	: V. Hemige, et al.
	Filename	: draft-hemige-pim-improved-assert-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2005-10-21
	
  In [PIM-SM], assert procedures are triggered by data-plane 
  interaction with the control-plane when traffic arrives on an 
  outgoing interface. There are several disadvantages with this in that 
  duplicate traffic is forwarded downstream until an assert winner is 
  elected and seen by all routers on the LAN; such dependence on the 
  data-plane to build control-plane state does not scale well. When 
  [PIM-SM] is used to setup P2MP LSP trees as in [SURESH-P2MP], it is 
  not always possible to determine if traffic arrived on an outbound 
  interface . This draft proposes mechanisms to trigger assert 
  completely in the control plane by reacting to Joins sent to another 
  router on a LAN. These procedures are essential when it is not 
  possible to determine if traffic arrived on an outbound interface. It 
  also helps completely remove the dependency on data-plane to trigger 
  asserts and eliminates duplicate traffic resulting from assert 
  scenarios.  

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hemige-pim-improved-assert-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hemige-pim-improved-assert-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hemige-pim-improved-assert-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce