Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hollenbeck-sls-rationale-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Rationale for the Service Lookup System (SLS)
	Author(s)	: S. Hollenbeck, et al.
	Filename	: draft-hollenbeck-sls-rationale-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2005-10-4
	
   Developing technology to support truly internationalized Internet
   identifiers is proving difficult within the framework of the existing
   Domain Name System (DNS).  At the same time, the DNS continues to do
   an excellent job at serving its original mandate for providing
   efficient mappings between machine-readable labels and network
   resources.  However, it is clear that the existing DNS cannot be
   transformed into a service that can handle the more human-oriented
   identification services it is now being asked to provide.  This
   document describes the rationale for a directory layer above the
   existing DNS that can better solve these problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-sls-rationale-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hollenbeck-sls-rationale-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hollenbeck-sls-rationale-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce