Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-01.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 76
	Date		: 2005-10-14
	
This document specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for
    transport protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an
    allowed sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a
    data transfer (e.g., after an idle period).  While Quick-Start is
    designed to be used by a range of transport protocols, in this
    document we describe its use with TCP.  By using Quick-Start, a TCP
    host, say, host A, would indicate its desired sending rate in bytes
    per second, using a Quick Start Request option in the IP header of a
    TCP packet.  Each router along the path could, in turn, either
    approve the requested rate, reduce the requested rate, or indicate
    that the Quick-Start request is not approved.  If the Quick-Start
    request is not approved, then the sender would use the default
    congestion control mechanisms.  The Quick-Start mechanism can
    determine if there are routers along the path that do not understand
    the Quick-Start Request option, or have not agreed to the Quick-
    Start rate request.  TCP host B communicates the final rate request
    to TCP host A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in an
    answering TCP packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow connections
    to use higher sending rates when there is significant unused
    bandwidth along the path, and all of the routers along the path
    support the Quick-Start Request.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce