Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lawrence-maxforward-problems-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Problems with Max-Forwards Processing (and Potential Solutions)
	Author(s)	: S. Lawrence, et al.
	Filename	: draft-lawrence-maxforward-problems-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 2005-10-18
	
   This document describes an attack against SIP networks where a small
   number of legitimate, even authorized, SIP requests can stimulate
   massive amounts of proxy-to-proxy traffic.  The document analysis
   ways to limit the impact of this kind of attack, and proposes changes
   to the SIP protocol to help mitigate the risk.  The document also
   proposes ways to improve diagnosis of failures caused by the hop
   limit being reached.

   The purpose of this document is to stimulate discussion of the
   identified problem and proposed solutions.  Much of the proposed
   solution language appears normative, but implementors should not
   treat the current document as such.

   Comments are solicited, and should be directed to the SIPPING working
   group list at [email-masked]'.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lawrence-maxforward-problems-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lawrence-maxforward-problems-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lawrence-maxforward-problems-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce