Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-touch-trill-prob-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Problem and Applicability Statement 
	Author(s)	: J. Touch
	Filename	: draft-touch-trill-prob-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2005-11-21
	
   Current Ethernet (802.1) link layers use custom routing protocols 
   that have a number of challenges. The routing protocols need to 
   strictly avoid loops, even temporary loops during route propagation, 
   because of the lack of header loop detection support. Routing tends 
   not to take full advantage of alternate paths, or even non-
   overlapping pairwise paths (in the case of spanning trees). The 
   convergence of these routing protocols and stability under link 
   changes and failures is also of concern. This document addresses 
   these concerns and suggests that they are related to the need to be 
   able to apply network layer routing (e.g., link state or distance 
   vector) protocols at the link layer. This document assumes that 
   solutions would not address issues of scalability beyond that of 
   existing bridged (802.1D) links, but that a solution would be 
   backward compatible with 802.1D, including hubs, bridges, and their 
   existing plug-and-play capabilities. 

   This document is a work in progress; we invite you to participate on 
   the mailing list at http://www.postel.org/rbridge 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-trill-prob-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-touch-trill-prob-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-touch-trill-prob-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce