Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-quickstart-rvw-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Review: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-quickstart-rvw-00.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2005-11-28
	
   This review thoroughly analyses draft 01 of the Quick-Start proposal,
   focusing mostly on security issues.  It is argued that the recent new
   QS nonce proposal gives insufficient protection against misbehaving
   receivers, and a new approach is suggested.  But it would be perverse
   to strengthen protection against malicious receivers too much when
   the protocol only works if all senders can be trusted to comply.  The
   review argues this is an inevitable result of choosing to have
   routers allocate rate to senders without keeping per-flow state.  The
   paper also questions whether Quick-Start's under-utilisation
   assumption defines a distinct range of operation where fairness can
   be ignored.  Because traffic variance will always blur the boundary,
   we argue that under-utilisation should be treated as the extreme of a
   spectrum where fairness is always an issue to some extent.

   If we are to avoid per-flow state on routers, the review points to an
   alternative direction where endpoints allocate rate to themselves.
   Counter-intuitively, this allows scalable security and a spectrum of
   fairness to be built in from the start, but rate allocation is less
   deterministic.

   Issues not related to security are also raised, including the
   possibility of a catastrophic overload if path delays are atypical.
   A solution to this is offered, as well as solutions to scalability
   issues with the range and precision of the Rate Request field.  Many
   other more minor review comments are given.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-quickstart-rvw-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-quickstart-rvw-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-quickstart-rvw-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce