Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Abridges as Rbridges: Transparent Routing with
                          Simplified Multiple Spanning Trees
	Author(s)	: G. Ibanez, et al.
	Filename	: draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2005-12-9
	
Rbridges are link layer devices that use routing protocols as a control 
plane but do not target to scale up to large campus networks. This 
document contains an alternative proposal to link-state Rbridges, named 
Abridges. Abridges overcome Rbridges L2 network size restrictions 
allowing applicability to very large Ethernet campus networks while 
maintaining zero configuration and high performance, by assuming a 
topological restriction that is automatically performed. The proposal 
includes a two-layered network architecture with two hierarchical 
independent spanning tree layers. Expected convergence is fast, probably 
below two seconds.   
            
Abridges use multiple simplified spanning trees rooted at core edge 
bridges  to  achieve  results  comparable  to  Rbridges  with  lower 
computational complexity. Two implementation variants of simplified 
multiple spanning trees are proposed: The first one is a fundamental 
simplification of the standard Multiple Spanning Tree protocol and the 
second one (still in a very preliminary stage) consists of an N-multiple 
simultaneous execution of the Rapid Spanning Tree protocol at each 
Rbridge. 
An optional mechanism of ARP/Abridge servers/registrars (with load 
splitting) is proposed to limit ARP traffic in large scale Ethernet 
networks and to enhance scalability and security. This mechanism can also be used for host-Designated Rbridge resolution as an alternative to the interchange of Hosts Lists between Rbridges. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce