Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Coordinated Universal Time with Smoothed Leap Seconds (UTC-SLS)
	Author(s)	: M. Kuhn
	Filename	: draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2006-1-18
	
   Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the international standard
   timescale used in many Internet protocols.  UTC features occasional
   single-second adjustments, known as "leap seconds".  These happen at
   the end of announced UTC days, in the form of either an extra second
   23:59:60 or a missing second 23:59:59.  Both events need special
   consideration in UTC-synchronized systems that represent time as a
   scalar value.  This specification defines UTC-SLS, a minor variation
   of UTC that lacks leap seconds.  Instead, UTC-SLS performs an
   equivalent "smooth" adjustment, during which the rate of the clock
   temporarily changes by 0.1% for 1000 seconds.  UTC-SLS is a drop-in
   replacement for UTC.  UTC-SLS can be generated from the same
   information as UTC.  It can be used with any specification that
   refers to UTC but lacks provisions for leap seconds.  UTC-SLS
   provides a robust and interoperable way for networked UTC-
   synchronized clocks to handle leap seconds.  By providing UTC-SLS
   instead of UTC to applications, operating systems can free most
   application and protocol designers from any need to even know about
   UTC leap seconds.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kuhn-leapsecond-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce