Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 15:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): the Small-Packet (SP) Variant
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, E. Kohler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-03.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2006-1-17
	
TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC) is a congestion control mechanism
    for unicast flows operating in a best-effort Internet environment
    [RFC 3448]. This document proposes TFRC-SP, a Small-Packet (SP)
    variant of TFRC.  TFRC was intended for applications that use a
    fixed packet size, and was designed to be reasonably fair when
    competing for bandwidth with TCP connections using the same packet
    size.  The Small-Packet variant of TFRC is designed for applications
    that send small packets, where the design goal is to achieve the
    same bandwidth in bps as a TCP flow using packets of up to 1500
    bytes.  This variant is referred to in RFC 3448 as TFRC-PS, for
    applications that might vary their packet size in response to
    congestion.  TFRC-SP enforces a Min Interval of 10 ms between data
    packets, to prevent a single flow from sending small packets
    arbitrarily frequently.

    Flows using TFRC-SP compete reasonably fairly with large-packet TCP
    and TFRC flows in environments where large-packet flows and small-
    packet flows experience similar packet drop rates.  However, in
    environments where small-packet flows experience lower packet drop
    rates than large-packet flows (e.g., with Drop-Tail queues in units
    of bytes), TFRC-SP can receive considerably more than its share of
    the bandwidth.  We note however that in all scenarios TFRC-SP is
    better, in terms of congestion in the network, than the same
    application in the absence of congestion control.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce