Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pullen-omcast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Overlay Multicast Protocol
	Author(s)	: M. Pullen
	Filename	: draft-pullen-omcast-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2006-2-28
	
This document defines formats and procedures for middleware that
operates at the application layer to provide for transmission of 
IP multicast over IP networks that do not have network layer
multicasting enabled, by means of tunneling IP multicast over IP
unicast. This capability is called overlay multicast (OMCAST). While 
it cannot be as efficient as network layer multicasting, OMCAST
allows for transparent support of IP multicast applications. 
Because the relay agents can cooperate to forward multicast messages 
in a way modeled after network layer multicast trees, significant 
reductions in network traffic are possible as compared to parallel 
transmission by each host to all other participating hosts. However, 
this protocol only provides mechanisms for the agents to cooperate; 
it does not prescribe a mechanism for routing messages among the 
agents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pullen-omcast-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pullen-omcast-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pullen-omcast-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce