Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: ASBR VRF context for BGP/MPLS IP VPN
	Author(s)	: M. Kulmala, et al.
	Filename	: draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2006-2-7
	
This document describes an additional option to the 'Multi-AS 
Backbones' section of [RFC4364]. This option combines per VPN VRFs at 
the Autonomous System Border Router (ASBR) as described in 'Option A' 
with the redistribution of labeled VPN-IPv4 routes as described in 
'Option B'. In addition, this option allows for a data plane consisting 
of two methods of traffic forwarding between attached ASBR pairs.  

In this Multi-AS option, the ASBR installs VPN-IPv4 routes into VRFs in 
the same manner as described in [RFC4364] e.g. VPN-IPv4 routes are 
converted back to IPv4 routes and imported into VRFs via Route Target 
(RT) based filtering policies. Once installed in a VRF, selected IPv4 
routes are converted to VPN-IPv4 routes by the addition of Route 
Distinguisher (RD) values, along with one or more associated RTs as 
configured per VRF at the ASBR.  

Dependant on service provider preference, traffic forwarding between 
attached ASBRs is either via per VRF attachment circuits or a 'global' 
(non-VRF attachment circuit associated) IP interface. In both traffic 
forwarding cases, packets may be MPLS-labeled or non-labeled. 

If attached ASBR pairs belonging to separate Autonomous Systems (AS) 
make use of this Multi-AS option, then VRF based route filtering 
policies via RTs is achieved directly between ASBR pairs, independent 
of PE based RT filtering within an AS.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-kulmala-l3vpn-interas-option-d-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce