Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: A Process Experiment in Normative Reference Handling
	Author(s)	: J. Klensin
	Filename	: draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-4-4
	
The IETF and RFC Editor have a long-standing rule that a document at
a given maturity level cannot be published until all documents it
references as normative are at that maturity level or higher.  This
rule has sometimes resulted in very long publication delays for
documents and some claims that it was a major obstruction to
advancing documents in maturity level.  The IETF agreed to a way to
bypass this rule with RFC 3967.  This document proposes a one-year
process experiment in which the "hold on normative reference" rule
will be replaced by a "note downward normative reference and move on"
approach.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-norm-ref-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce