Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pashby-ipv6-mc-scoped-addr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Multicast Scoped Address Assignment Guidance
	Author(s)	: R. Pashby
	Filename	: draft-pashby-ipv6-mc-scoped-addr-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2006-4-12
	
The purpose of this document is to define IPv6 Multicast Id ranges 
that will not allow overlap between dynamically assigned global 
scoped addresses and dynamically assigned non-global scoped 
addresses, specifically dynamically assigned link-local scoped 
addresses.

[RFC3307] defines IPv6 Multicast Group ID ranges for the following 
Permanent Addresses, Permanent Identifiers and Dynamic Addresses. 
However, there are certain multicast addresses that need to be 
assigned for closed systems that should not collide with the Group 
IDs used within the Internet. 

This document further defines the Dynamic Addresses into two ranges 
Dynamically Assigned Global (DAG) addresses and Dynamically 
Assigned Non-Global (DANG) addresses. The DANG range is further 
broken down to Dynamically Assigned Link-Local (DALL) addresses and 
the rest reserved for future. Future uses might be for Site-Local 
Scoped and Organization Scoped ranges. The DALL range may be used 
to simplify the design of MLD Snooping layer 2 switches.

[RFC3171] defines the Local Network Control Block address range for 
IPv4. A similar range should be defined to possibly simplify the 
design of MLD Snooping layer 2 switches.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-mc-scoped-addr-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pashby-ipv6-mc-scoped-addr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pashby-ipv6-mc-scoped-addr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce