Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Protocol Extensions for Header Compression over MPLS
	Author(s)	: J. Ash, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2006-5-3
	
VoIP typically uses the encapsulation voice/RTP/UDP/IP. When MPLS
labels are added, this becomes voice/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels. For an
MPLS VPN, the packet header is typically 48 bytes, while the voice
payload is often no more than 30 bytes, for example. Header
compression can significantly reduce the overhead through various
compression mechanisms.  MPLS is used to route header-compressed (HC)
packets over an MPLS LSP without compression/decompression cycles at
each router.  Such an HC over MPLS capability increases the bandwidth
efficiency as well as processing scalability of the maximum number of
simultaneous compressed flows that use HC at each router.  MPLS
pseudowires are used to transport the HC context and other control
messages between the ingress and egress MPLS label switched router
(LSR).  Standard HC methods (e.g., ECRTP, ROHC, etc.) are re-used to
determine the context.  Each HC scheme operates over a single
pseudowire instance very much like it would over a single
point-to-point link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce