Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SMTP extension for internationalized email address
	Author(s)	: J. Yao, W. Mao
	Filename	: draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-00.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2006-5-12
	
Internationalized eMail Address (IMA) includes two parts, the local
part and the domain part.  The way email addresses are used by
protocols are different from the way domain names are used.  The most
critical difference is that emails are delivered through a chain of
peering clients and servers while domain names are resolved by name
servers by looking up their own tables.  In addition to this, email
transport protocols SMTP and ESMTP provide a negotiation mechanism
through which clients can make decisions for further processing.  So
IMA is different from the internationalized domain name (IDN).  IMA
can be solved by exploiting the negotiation mechanism while IDN can
not use the negotiation mechanism.  So IMA should be solved in the
mail transport-level using the negotiation mechanism, which is an
architecturally desirable approach.  This document specifies the use
of SMTP extension for IMA delivery.  It also mentions the backward
compatible mechanism for downgrade procedure, as specified in an
associated specification.  The protocol proposed here is MTA-level
solution which is feasible, architecturally more elegant, and not as
difficult to deploy in relevant communities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-smtpext-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce