Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-eddy-ipv6-overhead-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Comparison of IPv4 and IPv6 Header Overhead
	Author(s)	: W. Eddy
	Filename	: draft-eddy-ipv6-overhead-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2006-5-8
	
This document provides an analysis and comparison of IPv4 and IPv6
header sizes under various circumstances.  The goal of this document
is to provide hard evidence for use in frequent discussions regarding
transition, where header overhead comes up as an issue used to
portray IPv6 depolyment as untenable.  The results show that for
links that are not fully utilized, the IPv6 overhead would only add a
few percent to their load over what IPv4 implies, while for congested
links, we note that header compression techniques for IPv6 are at
least as effective as those for IPv4.  This demonstrates that the
header overhead argument against IPv6 is misinformed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eddy-ipv6-overhead-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-eddy-ipv6-overhead-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-eddy-ipv6-overhead-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce