Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-04.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 92
	Date		: 2006-6-15
	
This document specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for
transport protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an
allowed sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a
data transfer (e.g., after an idle period).  While Quick-Start is
designed to be used by a range of transport protocols, in this
document we only specify its use with TCP.  Quick-Start is designed
to allow connections to use higher sending rates when there is
significant unused bandwidth along the path and the sender and all
of the routers along the path approve the Quick-Start Request.

As this document describes, environments where Quick-Start requests
would not be approved include paths with routers, IP tunnels, MPLS
paths, and the like that do not support Quick-Start, or paths with
routers or middleboxes that drop packets containing IP options.
Quick-Start requests could be difficult to approve over paths that
include multi-access layer-two networks.  This document also
describes environments where the Quick-Start process could fail with
false positives, with the sender incorrectly assuming that the
Quick-Start request had been approved by all of the routers along
the path.  As a result of these concerns, and as a result of the
difficulties and seeming absence of motivation for routers such as
core routers to deploy Quick-Start, Quick-Start is being proposed as
a mechanism that could be of use in controlled environments, and not
as a mechanism that would be intended or appropriate for ubiquitous
deployment in the global Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce