Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to TCP/IP
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-02.txt
	Pages		: 82
	Date		: 2006-6-29
	
This document introduces a new protocol for explicit congestion
notification (ECN), termed re-ECN, which can be deployed
incrementally around unmodified routers.  The protocol arranges an
extended ECN field in each packet so that, as it crosses any
interface in an internetwork, it will carry a truthful prediction of
congestion on the remainder of its path.  Then the upstream party at
any trust boundary in the internetwork can be held responsible for
the congestion they cause, or allow to be caused.  So, networks can
introduce straightforward accountability and policing mechanisms for
incoming traffic from end-customers or from neighbouring network
domains.  The purpose of this document is to specify the re-ECN
protocol at the IP layer and to give guidelines on any consequent
changes required to transport protocols.  It includes the changes
required to TCP both as an example and as a specification.  It also
gives examples of mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data
sources respond correctly to congestion.  And it describes example
mechanisms that ensure the dominant selfish strategy of both network
domains and end-points will be to set the extended ECN field
honestly.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce