Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN
	Author(s)	: H. Shah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-05.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2006-6-7
	
The VPWS service [L2VPN-FRM] provides point-to-point connections 
between pairs of Customer Edge (CE) devices.  It does so by binding 
two Attachment Circuits (each connecting a CE device with a Provider 
Edge, PE, device) to a pseudo-wire (connecting the two PEs).  In 
general, the Attachment Circuits must be of the same technology 
(e.g., both Ethernet, both ATM), and the pseudo-wire must carry the 
frames of that technology.  However, if it is known that the frames' 
payload consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a 
point-to-point connection in which the pseudo-wire connects 
Attachment Circuits of different technologies. This requires the PEs 
to perform a function known as "ARP Mediation". ARP Mediation refers 
to the process of resolving Layer 2 addresses when different 
resolution protocols are used on either Attachment Circuit. The 
methods described in this document are applicable even when the CEs 
run a routing protocol between them, as long as the routing protocol 
runs over IP. In particular, the applicability of ARP mediation to 
ISIS is not addressed as IS-IS PDUs are not sent over IP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce