Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-worley-sip-many-refers-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: The Five Meanings of the REFER Method
	Author(s)	: D. Worley
	Filename	: draft-worley-sip-many-refers-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2006-6-21
	
   The REFER method is defined in RFC 3515.  That RFC defines the syntax
   of the REFER request and some of the machinery involved in its
   execution, but it defines the semantics of the method only so far as
   to specify that the recipient will initiate a request to the target
   specified in the Refer-To header.  But since almost all requests that
   can be sent by the recipient are inherently part of an encompassing
   UA action that affects the state of the recipient in ways that are
   not directly reflected in SIP protocol actions, the standardized
   action of initiating a request implicitly has further consequences
   which are often not clearly specified.  As a result, various SIP
   call-control proposals assume that a UA receiving a REFER will
   perform the UA operation that is needed at that moment without
   specifying clearly how the UA recognizes which UA operation is
   needed.  As a result there are now five semantically distinct defined
   uses of REFER.  All five uses bear a family resemblance, and each
   involves sending a SIP request, but the exact meaning of each use is
   logically independent of the others, and the rules by which a UA
   distinguishes the five cases are at best implicit.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-worley-sip-many-refers-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-worley-sip-many-refers-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-worley-sip-many-refers-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce