Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN
	Author(s)	: H. Shah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-06.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2006-6-26
	
The VPWS service [L2VPN-FRM] provides point-to-point connections 
     between pairs of Customer Edge (CE) devices.  It does so by 
     binding two Attachment Circuits (each connecting a CE device 
     with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a pseudo-wire (connecting 
     the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment Circuits must be of 
     the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet, both ATM), and the 
     pseudo-wire must carry the frames of that technology.  However, 
     if it is known that the frames' payload consists solely of IP 
     datagrams, it is possible to provide a point-to-point connection 
     in which the pseudo-wire connects Attachment Circuits of 
     different technologies. This requires the PEs to perform a 
     function known as "ARP Mediation". ARP Mediation refers to the 
     process of resolving Layer 2 addresses when different resolution 
     protocols are used on either Attachment Circuit. The methods 
     described in this document are applicable even when the CEs run 
     a routing protocol between them, as long as the routing protocol 
     runs over IP. In particular, the applicability of ARP mediation 
     to ISIS is not addressed as IS-IS PDUs are not sent over IP. 
     Conventions used in this document 
     The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL 
     NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and 
     "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described 
     in [RFC 2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce