Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Improving DNS Service Availability by Using Long TTLs
	Author(s)	: V. Pappas, et al.
	Filename	: draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-02.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2006-6-27
	
Due to the hierarchical tree structure of the Domain Name System
   [RFC1034][RFC1035], losing all of the authoritative servers that
   serve a zone can disrupt services to not only that zone but all of
   its descendants.  This problem is particularly severe if all the
   authoritative servers of the root zone, or of a top level domain's
   zone, fail.  Although proper placement of secondary servers, as
   discussed in [RFC2182], can be an effective means against isolated
   failures, it is insufficient to protect the DNS service against a
   distributed denial of service attack (DDoS).  This document proposes
   to mitigate the impact of DDoS attacks against top level DNS servers
   by setting long TTL values for NS records and their associated A
   records.  Our proposed changes are purely operational and can be
   deployed incrementally.  Our analysis shows that this simple
   operational tuning has a small impact on DNS performance but can
   significantly reduce the impact felt by client resolvers as a result
   of a successful DDoS attacks on the DNS service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce