Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Address Allocation to End Sites
	Author(s)	: T. Narten, et al.
	Filename	: draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2006-6-28
	
RFC 3177 argued that in IPv6, end sites should be assigned /48 blocks
in most cases. The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) adopted those
recommendations in 2002 and they have been in effect ever since.
This document revisits and updates the IAB/IESG recommendations on
the assignment of IPv6 address space to end sites.  The exact choice
of how much address space to assign end sites is a policy issue under
the purview of the RIRs, subject to IPv6 architectural and
operational considerations. This document reviews the architectural
considerations and some of the operational issues and reiterates that
changing the /48 recommendation is one of policy, and has minimal
impact on the IPv6 architecture and on IETF Standards.

This document obsoletes RFC 3177 and reclassifies it as historic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce