Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IP-Only LAN Service (IPLS)
	Author(s)	: H. Shah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-06.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2006-6-7
	
A Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) [VPLS] is used to interconnect 
systems across a wide-area or metropolitan-area network, making it 
appear that they are on a private LAN.  The systems which are 
interconnected may themselves be LAN switches.  If, however, they 
are IP hosts or IP routers, certain simplifications to the operation 
of the VPLS are possible.  We call this simplified type of VPLS an 
"IP-only LAN Service" (IPLS).  In an IPLS, as in a VPLS, LAN 
interfaces are run in promiscuous mode, and frames are forwarded 
based on their destination MAC addresses.  However, the maintenance 
of the MAC forwarding tables is done via signaling, rather than via 
the MAC address learning procedures specified in [IEEE 802.1D].  
This draft specifies the protocol extensions and procedures for 
support of the IPLS service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-ipls-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce