Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pmtud-method-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Path MTU Discovery Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery
	Author(s)	: M. Mathis, J. Heffner
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pmtud-method-08.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2006-8-14
	
This document describes a robust method for Path MTU Discovery
(PMTUD) that relies on TCP or some other Packetization Layer to probe
an Internet path with progressively larger packets.  This method is
described as an extension to RFC 1191 and RFC 1981, which specify
ICMP based Path MTU Discovery for IP versions 4 and 6, respectively.

The general strategy of the new algorithm is to start with a small
MTU and search upward, testing successively larger MTUs by probing
with single packets.  If a probe is successfully delivered then the
MTU can be raised.  If the probe is lost, it is treated as an MTU
limitation and not as a congestion signal.

Packetization Layer PMTUD (PLPMTUD) introduces some flexibility in
the implementation of classical Path MTU discovery.  IT can be
configured to perform just ICMP black hole recovery to increase the
robustness of classical Path MTU Discovery, or at the other extreme,
all ICMP processing can be disabled and PLPMTUD can completely
replace classical Path MTU Discovery.

In the latter configuration, PLPMTUD exactly parallels congestion
control.  An end-to-end transport protocol adjusts properties of the
data stream (window size or packet size) while using packet losses to
deduce the appropriateness of the adjustments.  This technique is
more philosophically consistent with the end-to-end principle than
relying on ICMP messages containing transcribed headers of multiple
protocol layers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pmtud-method-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce