Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-erblich-tcp-no-karn-alg-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Alteration of Karn's Algorithm for High Bandwidth / Delay Environments
	Author(s)	: M. Erblich
	Filename	: draft-erblich-tcp-no-karn-alg-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 2006-8-14
	
Karn's algorithm specifies acknowledgements that are the
result of segment retransmits should be ignored, not timed,
and should not contribute to the smoothed round-trip-time
(SRTT) because they are considered "ambiguous".  It is also
stated in Karn's paper that "If an acknowledgement arrives
after the RTO has expired, it is highly likely to come very
shortly after wards." In time, we have added the "fast retransmit"
functionality, so we are not solely dependent on RTO for
retransmits.  Common sense dictates that if we receive an
acknowledgement "very shortly after wards", that those
acknowledgments should not be considered "ambiguous". These
non-ambiguous acknowledgments should be added to the SRTT and
trigger us to return to our previous non-congestion behavior.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-erblich-tcp-no-karn-alg-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-erblich-tcp-no-karn-alg-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-erblich-tcp-no-karn-alg-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce