Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: An Extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) for Media Loopback
	Author(s)	: K. Hedayat, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-04.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2006-8-1
	
The wide deployment of Voice over IP (VoIP), Real-time Text and 
Video over IP services has introduced new challenges in managing 
and maintaining voice/real-time Text/video quality, reliability, 
and overall performance.  In particular, media delivery is an area 
that needs attention.  One method of meeting these challenges is 
monitoring the media delivery performance by looping media back to 
the transmitter.  This is typically referred to as "active 
monitoring" of services.   Media loopback is especially popular in 
ensuring the quality of transport to the edge of a given VoIP, 
Real-time Text or Video over IP service.  Today in networks that 
deliver real-time media, short of running 'ping' and 'traceroute' 
to the edge, service providers are left without the necessary tools 
to actively monitor, manage, and diagnose quality issues with their 
service.  The extension defined herein adds new SDP media 
attributes which enables establishment of media sessions where the 
media is looped back to the transmitter. Such media sessions will 
serve as monitoring and troubleshooting tools by providing the 
means for measurement of more advanced VoIP, Real-time Text and 
Video Over IP performance metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce