Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: New SIP Headers for Reducing SIP Message Size
	Author(s)	: H. Akhtar, et al.
	Filename	: draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-01.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2006-9-12
	
Current SIP messages are text based and inherently large, especially
when these messages are to be transmitted over the bandwidth-strained
wireless access technologies (a typical orginiating SIP Invite is 
about 1200 bytes). 

For most wireless technologies, transmitting the session initiation 
messages (such as SIP Invite) over the signaling channel can reduce 
the call setup time substantially. The size limitation of these 
wireless signaling channels are typically very small (~210 bytes in 
the uplink and ~110 bytes in the downlink).
To address this problem, a new function called Encoding Assitant    
(EA) has been introduced in the User Agent (UA) and in the 
SIP Proxy server within the network. Additionally, the method 
provided in this document defines new SIP option tags and headers. 
These new option tags and headers allow the UA and a SIP Proxy 
server within the network (such as the P-CSCF), to exchange 
information using the signaling channels supported by most wireless 
access networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-akhtar-sipping-header-reduction-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce