Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-joshi-dhcp-lease-query-ext-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Extension of DHCP Leasequery in Bridging/Switching networks
	Author(s)	: B. Joshi, P. Kurapati
	Filename	: draft-joshi-dhcp-lease-query-ext-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2006-9-25
	
As per industry trends, Access Networks have been migrating from
traditional ATM based networks to Ethernet networks.  In Ethernet
based access networks, Access Concentrators are typically configured
to act as traditional bridge.  These Access Concentrators also act as
relay agents and relay DHCP messages between hosts and DHCP servers.
It also maintains and updates lease/location information while
relaying the DHCP messages.  Access Concentrators may use the lease/
location information for anti-spoofing, data forwarding etc.  This
lease/location information is lost if an Access Concentrator gets
rebooted.  RFC 4388 [5] has defined a new message type DHCPLEASEQUERY
to address similar limitation in Routed Access Networks.

This document initially gives an overview of the functioning of the
Access Concentrator acting as a relay agent in a Layer 2 aggregation
network.  The limitation[as mentioned above] in a typical switched/
bridged[layer 2] is then discussed followed by the proposal to extend
the DHCPLEASEQUERY message to address this limitation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-joshi-dhcp-lease-query-ext-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-joshi-dhcp-lease-query-ext-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-joshi-dhcp-lease-query-ext-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce