Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: BGP Community for PA Multihoming
	Author(s)	: I. van Beijnum
	Filename	: draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2006-9-11
	
When an organization wants to connect to the internet using two or more
Internet Service Providers (multihoming), this is usually done by
setting up BGP routing between the organization in question and each of
its ISPs. For this, the multihomed organization needs a block of address space. This can either be a provider independent (PI) address block that belongs to the organization, or a block out of the provider aggregatable (PA) address space of one its ISPs.

With IPv4, an address block of at least /24 will generally be suitable
for multihoming, whether its origin is PI or PA. However, until now,
ISPs were encouraged to only accept /32 prefixes from IPv6 PA space,
while end-users generally receive a /48. This makes multihoming with PA
address space in IPv6 very difficult. This memo describes a new
well-known BGP community attribute for tagging prefixes used for
multihoming with PA space in order to facilitate filtering, rather than
filter based on prefix length alone.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce