Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bonica-internet-icmp-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Modifying ICMP to Support Multi-part Messages
	Author(s)	: R. Bonica, et al.
	Filename	: draft-bonica-internet-icmp-10.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2006-10-4
	
This document redefines selected ICMP messages to support multi-part
operation.  A multi-part ICMP message carries all of the information
that ICMP messages carried previously, as well as additional
information that applications may require.

Multi-part messages are supported by an ICMP extension structure.
The extension structure is situated at the end of the ICMP message.
It includes an extension header followed by one or more extension
objects.  Each extension object contains an object header and object
payload.  All object headers share a common format.

This document further redefines a subset of the above mentioned ICMP
messages by specifying a length attribute.  Many of the ICMP messages
to which an extension structure can be appended include an "original
datagram" field.  The "original datagram" field contains the initial
octets of the datagram to which the ICMP message is a response.
Although the original datagram field is of variable length, the ICMP
message does not include a field that specifies its length.
Therefore, in order to facilitate message parsing, this draft
allocates eight previously reserved bits to reflect the length of the
"original datagram" field.

The proposed modifications change the requirements for ICMP
compliance.  The impact of these changes on compliant implementations
is discussed, and new requirements for future implementations are
presented.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bonica-internet-icmp-10.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-bonica-internet-icmp-10.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bonica-internet-icmp-10.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce