Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Handling Large User Datagram Protocol (UDP) Responses in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)	: V. Gurbani, S. Lawrence
	Filename	: draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2006-10-4
	
   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) mandates a maximum size for any
   request transmitted over UDP.  This maximum is set to the lesser of
   1300 bytes or the path maximum transmission unit (MTU) size minus 200
   bytes.  If the size of the request exceeds this maximum, SIP requires
   implementations to switch the downstream transport to be a congestion
   controlled transport.  However, when sending a response, a SIP
   implementation cannot choose the transport; it must use the transport
   specified by the Via. This document discusses the problems large
   responses can cause on UDP, and proposes an update to SIP to help
   diagnose and avoid those problems.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gurbani-sip-large-udp-response-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce