Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.txt,.pdf
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 2006-10-18
	
   We were moved to write this memo because the applied research and
   standards communities in networking are using completely unrealistic
   and impractical fairness criteria.  The issue is not whether they
   should use this or that allocation scheme; they don't even allocate
   the right thing and they don't allocate it between the right
   entities.  We explain as bluntly as we can that sharing out flow
   rates (as TCP and many other popular fairness mechanisms do) has no
   intellectual heritage from any concept of fairness in philosophy or
   social science, or indeed real life.  Comparing and controlling flow
   rates alone will never achieve fairness and should never again be
   claimed as a fairness mechanism for production networks.  Instead, a
   realistic fairness mechanism must share out the `cost' of each users
   actions on others.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce