Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Pre-Congestion Notification Problem Statement
	Author(s)	: K. Chan, et al.
	Filename	: draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2006-10-25
	
DiffServ mechanisms have been developed to support Quality of Service
   (QoS).  However, the level of assurance that can be provided with
   DiffServ without substantial over-provisioning is limited.  Pre-
   Congestion Notification (PCN) investigates the use of per-flow
   admission control to provide the required service guarantees for the

   admitted traffic.  While admission control will protect the QoS under
   normal operating conditions, an additional flow pre-emption mechanism
   is necessary in the times of heavy congestion (e.g. caused by route
   changes due to link or node failure).

   This document provides a problem statement on the addition of flow
   admission control and flow pre-emption functionality to a DiffServ
   network, in particular for the support of real time services such as
   voice and video.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-problem-statement-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce