Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Traversing HIP-aware NATs and Firewalls: 
                          Problem Statement and Requirements
	Author(s)	: H. Tschofenig, M. Shanmugam
	Filename	: draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-05.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2006-10-25
	
The Host Identity Protocol (HIP) is a signaling protocol, which
   supports mobility and multihoming by adding a new layer in the TCP/IP
   stack.  By carring relevant parameters in the signaling messages, HIP
   can be used to establish IPsec encapsulating security payload (ESP)
   security associations between two hosts.  Middleboxes (e.g. firewalls
   and network address translators) cannot inspect transport layer
   headers of data traffic if that traffic is sent over an IPsec ESP
   tunnel.  However, HIP is designed to be middlebox friendly; it
   enables the middleboxes to inspect the signaling messages.  The
   information that they can derive from that messages enables the
   middleboxes to uniquely identify the subsequent data flows, e.g. for
   the purposes of multiplexing and demultiplexing .  A middlebox that
   implements the relevant mechanisms is called "HIP-aware".  This
   document presents a problem statement and lists some requirements
   that are necessary for a HIP-aware middlebox traversal technique.
   These include authentication and authorization of signaling end-hosts
   by the middleboxes.  Such authorization will help the middleboxes to
   decide whether or not an end host is allowed to traverse, and can
   potentially limit unwanted traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-traversal-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce