Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Controlling NAT Bindings using STUN
	Author(s)	: D. Wing, J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2006-10-17
	
   Simple Traversal Underneath NAT (STUN) is a mechanism for traversing
   NATs.  STUN requests are transmitted through a NAT to external STUN
   servers.  While this works very well, its two primary drawbacks are
   the inability to modify the properties of a NAT binding and the need
   to query a public STUN server for every NAT binding.  These drawbacks
   require frequent messages which present a load on servers (like SIP
   servers and STUN servers) and are bad for low speed access networks,
   such as cellular.  This document proposes that the STUN server be
   embedded in the NAT itself, and describes how these STUN servers can
   be readily discovered and utilized to reduce queries to public STUN
   servers and to reduce NAT keepalive traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce