Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: An edge-to-edge Deployment Model for 
                          Pre-Congestion Notification: Admission Control
                          over a DiffServ Region
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt
	Pages		: 63
	Date		: 2006-10-25
	
This document describes a deployment model for pre-congestion 
notification (PCN) operating in a large DiffServ-based region of the 
Internet. PCN-based admission control protects the quality of service 
of existing flows in normal circumstances, whilst if necessary (eg 
after a large failure) pre-emption of some flows preserves the quality 
of service of the remaining flows. Each link has a configured-
admission-rate and a configured-pre-emption-rate, and a router marks 
packets that exceed these rates. Hence routers give an early warning of 
their own potential congestion, before packets need to be dropped. 
Gateways around the edges of the PCN-region convert measurements of 
packet rates and their markings into decisions about whether to admit 
new flows, and (if necessary) into the rate of excess traffic that 
should be pre-empted. Per-flow admission states are kept at the 
gateways only, while the PCN markers that are required for all routers 
operate on the aggregate traffic - hence there is no scalability impact 
on interior routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-cl-architecture-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce