Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Internet Mail Architecture
	Author(s)	: D. Crocker
	Filename	: draft-crocker-email-arch-05.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 2006-10-23
	
Over its thirty-five year history Internet Mail has undergone
   significant changes in scale and complexity, as it has become a
   global infrastructure service.  The first standardized architecture
   for networked email specified a simple split between the user world,
   in the form of Mail User Agents (MUA), and the transmission world, in
   the form of the Mail Handling Service (MHS) composed of Mail Transfer
   Agents (MTA).  Core aspects of the service, such as mailbox address
   and basic message format style, have remained remarkably constant.

   However today Internet Mail is marked by many independent operators,
   many different components for providing users service and many others
   for performing message transfer.  Public discussion of the
   architecture has not kept pace with the real-world technical and
   operational refinements.  This document offers an enhanced Internet
   Mail architecture to reflect the current service.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-crocker-email-arch-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce