Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): the Small-Packet (SP) Variant
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, E. Kohler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 49
	Date		: 2006-11-22
	
This document proposes a mechanism for further experimentation, but
    not for widespread deployment at this time in the global Internet.

    TCP-Friendly Rate Control (TFRC) is a congestion control mechanism
    for unicast flows operating in a best-effort Internet environment
    [RFC3448]. TFRC was intended for applications that use a fixed
    packet size, and was designed to be reasonably fair when competing
    for bandwidth with TCP connections using the same packet size.  This
    document proposes TFRC-SP, a Small-Packet (SP) variant of TFRC, that
    is designed for applications that send small packets.  The design
    goal for TFRC-SP is to achieve the same bandwidth in bps (bits per
    second) as a TCP flow using packets of up to 1500 bytes.  TFRC-SP
    enforces a minimum interval of 10 ms between data packets, to
    prevent a single flow from sending small packets arbitrarily
    frequently.

    Flows using TFRC-SP compete reasonably fairly with large-packet TCP
    and TFRC flows in environments where large-packet flows and small-
    packet flows experience similar packet drop rates.  However, in
    environments where small-packet flows experience lower packet drop
    rates than large-packet flows (e.g., with Drop-Tail queues in units
    of bytes), TFRC-SP can receive considerably more than its share of
    the bandwidth.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-tfrc-voip-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce