Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Hash and Stuffing: Overlooked Factors in Network Device Benchmarking
	Author(s)	: D. Newman, T. Player
	Filename	: draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2007-1-2
	
Test engineers take pains to declare all factors that affect a given
   measurement, including intended load, packet length, test duration,
   and traffic orientation.  However, current benchmarking practice
   overlooks two factors that have a profound impact on test results.
   First, existing methodologies do not require the reporting of
   addresses or other test traffic contents, even though these fields
   can affect test results.  Second, "stuff" bits and bytes inserted in
   test traffic by some link-layer technologies add significant and
   variable overhead, which in turn affects test results.  This document
   describes the effects of these factors; recommends guidelines for
   test traffic contents; and offers formulas for determining the
   probability of bit- and byte-stuffing in test traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bmwg-hash-stuffing-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce