Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 15:50:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Improving TCP's Robustness to Blind In-Window Attacks
	Author(s)	: A. Ramaiah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-07.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2007-2-23
	
TCP has historically been considered protected against spoofed packet
   injection attacks by relying on the fact that it is difficult to
   guess the 4-tuple (the source and destination IP addresses and the
   source and destination ports) in combination with the 32 bit sequence
   number(s).  A combination of increasing window sizes and applications
   using a longer term connections (e.g.  H-323 or Border Gateway
   Protocol [RFC4271]) have left modern TCP implementation more
   vulnerable to these types of spoofed packet injection attacks.

   Many of these long term TCP applications tend to have predictable IP
   addresses and ports which makes it far easier for the 4-tuple to be
   guessed.  Having guessed the 4-tuple correctly, an attacker can
   inject a RST, SYN or DATA segment into a TCP connection by carefully
   crafting the sequence number of the spoofed segment to be in the
   current receive window.  This can cause the connection to either
   abort or possibly cause data corruption.  This document specifies
   small modifications to the way TCP handles inbound segments that can
   reduce the chances of a successful attack.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce