Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rao-ipv6-prefix-delegation-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Prefix Delegation using ICMPv6
	Author(s)	: S. Rao, et al.
	Filename	: draft-rao-ipv6-prefix-delegation-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2007-2-21
	
The currently proposed solution for IPv6 Prefix Delegation is based
   on DHCPv6 protocol.  We believe that in certain network topologies
   and configurations where the CPE routers may not be capable or
   configured to use DHCPv6 and hence can not utilize the currently
   proposed DHCPv6 based ipv6 prefix delegation procedure.  Therefore an
   alternate ipv6 prefix delegation procedure that does not require or
   depend on the DHCPv6 protocol is needed.

   This document proposes an ICMPv6 based prefix delegation (PD)
   mechanism which is in conformance with RFC 3769 that describes the
   requirements for IPv6 prefix delegation.  This proposal involves
   using the Router Solicitation (RS) message for the prefix request and
   the Router Advertisement(RA) message for the prefix delegation.

   A new flag called P-flag (bit 0 of the reserved field) is defined to
   indicate that the RS message includes a PD request.  RS messages with
   PD request can now include PIO option(s) to carry PD information such
   as prefix preference(s) or PD parameters such as lease etc.

   It also proposes defining a new flag called D-flag (reserved bit 26)
   of the PIO option to indicate the presence of PD specific PIO in RS
   and RA messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rao-ipv6-prefix-delegation-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-rao-ipv6-prefix-delegation-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rao-ipv6-prefix-delegation-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce