Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:50:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: I'm Being Attacked by PRISONER.IANA.ORG!
	Author(s)	: J. Abley, W. Maton
	Filename	: draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2007-2-28
	
   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses which
   are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Hosts should never normally send reverse DNS queries for those
   addresses on the public Internet.  However, such queries are
   frequently observed.  Authority servers are deployed to provide
   authoritative answers to such queries as part of a loosely-
   coordinated effort known as the AS112 project.

   Since queries sent to AS112 servers are usually not intentional, the
   replies received back from those servers are typically unexpected.
   Unexpected inbound traffic can trigger alarms on intrusion detection
   systems and firewalls, and operators of such systems often mistakenly
   believe that they are being attacked.

   This document provides background information and technical advice to
   those firewall operators.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce