Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: SRAM-based IP Forwarding Eliminates the Need 
                          for Route Aggregation
	Author(s)	: R. Whittle
	Filename	: draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-00.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2007-3-28
	
   I propose a simple, low-cost, low-power, Static RAM (SRAM) based
   architecture for the Forwarding Information Base (FIB) function of
   transit and border routers in the Default Free Zone (DFZ) of the
   Internet.  This will provide direct hardware forwarding irrespective
   of the size of the "global BGP routing table", within the current
   IPv4 convention of limiting advertised prefixes to no longer than
   /24.  Routers with this or a similar architecture provide the only
   elegant hardware solution to the problem of route disaggregation,
   which is unavoidable due to increasing numbers of ISPs and end-users
   who need to advertise their prefixes on topologically diverse parts
   of the network, for purposes including multihoming and traffic
   engineering.

   Router hardware limitations with respect to route disaggregation
   could also be eliminated for IPv6 by adding further SRAMs, provided
   the existing 2000::/3 global unicast allocations are reallocated to a
   smaller range, for instance 2000::/10.  This would provide for
   Provider Independent /32 allocations to 4 million ISPs and multihomed
   end-users.  Each /32 assignment could be advertised as up to eight
   /35 prefixes - each of which provides 8192 /48 user networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-whittle-sram-ip-forwarding-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce