Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-auth-scram-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM)
	Author(s)	: C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-auth-scram-04.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2007-3-8
	
The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
    Internet application protocols, is the transmission of clear-text
    passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security
    (TLS).  There are some significant security concerns with that
    mechanism which could be addressed by the use of a challenge
    response authentication mechanism protected by TLS. Unfortunately,
    the challenge response mechanisms presently on the standards track
    all fail to meet requirements necessary for widespread deployment
    and have had success only in limited use.

    This specification describes the Salted Challenge Response
    Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM) which addresses the deployability
    requirements.  When used in combination with Transport Layer
    Security or an equivalent security layer, this mechanism could
    improve the status-quo for application protocol authentication and
    provide a suitable choice for a mandatory-to-implement mechanism for
    future application protocol standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-auth-scram-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-newman-auth-scram-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-newman-auth-scram-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce