Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: PIM Snooping over VPLS
	Author(s)	: V. Hemige, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-01.txt
	Pages		: 37
	Date		: 2007-3-7
	
In Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS), as also in IEEE Bridged 
  Networks, the switches simply flood multicast traffic on all ports in 
  the LAN by default. IGMP Snooping is commonly deployed to ensure 
  multicast traffic is not forwarded on ports without IGMP receivers. 
  The procedures and recommendations for IGMP Snooping are defined in 
  [IGMP-SNOOP]. But when any protocol other than IGMP is used, the 
  common practice is to simply flood multicast traffic to all ports. 
  PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, PIM-BIDIR are widely deployed routing protocols. PIM 
  Snooping procedures are important to restrict multicast traffic to 
  only the routers interested in receiving such traffic. 
  While most of the PIM Snooping procedures defined here also apply to 
  IEEE Bridged Networks, VPLS demands certain special procedures due to 
  the split-horizon rules that require the Provider Edge (PE) devices 
  to co-operate. This document describes the procedures and 
  recommendations for PIM-Snooping in VPLS to facilitate replication to 
  only those ports behind which there are interested PIM routers and/or 
  IGMP hosts. 
   
  This document also describes procedures for PIM Proxy. PIM Proxy is 
  required on PEs for VPLS Multicast to work correctly when Join 
  suppression is enabled in the VPLS. PIM Proxy also helps scale VPLS 
  Multicast much better than just PIM Snooping.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce