Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sanjib-private-vlan-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Private VLANs: Addressing VLAN scalability and security issues in a multi-client environment
	Author(s)	: S. HomChaudhuri, M. Foschiano
	Filename	: draft-sanjib-private-vlan-07.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2007-5-25
	
A vlan is a broadcast domain in which all devices can establish 
   direct communication with one another at Layer 2. As a consequence, 
   devices that are connected to the same vlan have an implicit trust 
   relationship with each other. If 'untrusted' devices are introduced 
   into a vlan, security issues may arise because trusted and untrusted 
   devices end up sharing the same broadcast domain. 
    
   The traditional solution to this kind of problem is to assign a 
   separate vlan to each user that is concerned about Layer 2 security 
   issues. That however is not always a scalable solution. 
    
   This document describes a mechanism to achieve Layer 2 isolation 
   among devices that are members of the same Layer 2 domain. What that 
   means is that, on the one hand, each user can enjoy the benefits 
   that come with a separate dedicated vlan, while on the other hand 
   the network provider will enjoy the benefit of consuming as few as 
   two vlan identifiers. 
    
   Moreover, the scheme described in this document allows end devices 
   to be Layer 2 isolated while sharing the same IP subnet, which in 
   turn allows the network designer to employ larger subnets and reduce 
   the address allocation and management overhead.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sanjib-private-vlan-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-sanjib-private-vlan-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sanjib-private-vlan-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce