Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Internet Mail Architecture
	Author(s)	: D. Crocker
	Filename	: draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt,.pdf
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 2007-5-29
	
Over its thirty-five year history Internet Mail has undergone
   significant changes in scale and complexity, as it has become a
   global infrastructure service.  The first standardized architecture
   for networked email specified little more than a simple split between
   the user world and the transmission world.  Core aspects of the
   service, such as the styles of mailbox address and basic message
   format, have remained remarkably constant.  However today's Internet
   Mail is marked by many independent operators, many different
   components for providing service to users and many others for
   performing message transfer.  Public discussion of the service often
   lacks common terminology and a common frame of reference for these
   components and their activities.  Having a common reference model and
   terminology makes a basic difference when talking about problems with
   the service, changes in policy, or enhancement to the service's
   functionality.  This document offers an enhanced Internet Mail
   architecture that targets description of the existing service, in
   order to facilitate clearer and more efficient technical, operations
   and policy discussions about email.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-crocker-email-arch-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce