Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2007-6-18

   This memo was written to clarify how (and whether) to take packet
   size into account when notifying congestion using active queue
   management (AQM) such as random early detection (RED).  The scope
   includes resource congestion by bytes and by packet processing, even
   though the latter is less common.  It answers the question of whether
   packet size should be taken into account when network equipment
   writes congestion notification, or when transports read it.  The
   primary conclusion is that RED's byte-mode packet drop should not be
   used because it creates a perverse incentive for transports to use
   tiny segments.  TCP's lack of attention to packet size should be
   fixed in TCP, not by reverse engineering network forwarding to fix
   transport protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce