Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Discovering, Querying, and Controlling Firewalls and NATs using STUN
	Author(s)	: D. Wing, et al.
	Filename	: draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt
	Pages		: 27
	Date		: 2007-7-10
	
Simple Traversal Underneath NAT (STUN) is a mechanism for traversing
   NATs.  STUN requests are transmitted through a NAT to external STUN
   servers.  While this works very well, its two primary drawbacks are
   the inability to modify the properties of a NAT binding and the need
   to query a public STUN server for every new NAT binding (e.g., every
   phone call).  These drawbacks require frequent messages which present    a load on servers (like SIP servers and STUN servers) and are bad for
   low speed access networks, such as cellular access.

   This document describes two mechanisms to discover NATs and firewalls
   and a mechanism to query and control them.  With these mechanisms,
   binding discovery and keepalive traffic can be reduced to involve
   only the necessary NATs or firewalls.  At the same time, backwards
   compatibility with NATs and firewalls that do not support this
   document is retained, which allows for incremental deployment of
   these mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce