Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 13:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to TCP/IP
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-04.txt
	Pages		: 88
	Date		: 2007-7-16
	
This document introduces a new protocol for explicit congestion
   notification (ECN), termed re-ECN, which can be deployed
   incrementally around unmodified routers.  The protocol arranges an
   extended ECN field in each packet so that, as it crosses any
   interface in an internetwork, it will carry a truthful prediction of
   congestion on the remainder of its path.  Then the upstream party at
   any trust boundary in the internetwork can be held responsible for
   the congestion they cause, or allow to be caused.  So, networks can
   introduce straightforward accountability and policing mechanisms for
   incoming traffic from end-customers or from neighbouring network
   domains.  The purpose of this document is to specify the re-ECN
   protocol at the IP layer and to give guidelines on any consequent
   changes required to transport protocols.  It includes the changes
   required to TCP both as an example and as a specification.  It also
   gives examples of mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data
   sources respond correctly to congestion.  And it describes example
   mechanisms that ensure the dominant selfish strategy of both network
   domains and end-points will be to set the extended ECN field
   honestly.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce