Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Avoiding Interactions of Quick-Start TCP and Flow Control
	Author(s)	: M. Scharf, et al.
	Filename	: draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2007-7-5
	
This document describes methods to avoid interactions between the
   flow control of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the
   Quick-Start TCP mechanism.  Quick-Start is an optional TCP congestion
   control extension that allows hosts to determine an allowed sending
   rate from feedback of routers along the path.  With Quick-Start, data
   transfers can start with a potentially large congestion window and
   avoid the time-consuming slow-start.  In order to fully utilize the
   data rate determined by Quick-Start, the sending host must not be
   limited by the TCP flow control, i. e., the amount of free buffer
   space advertised by the receive window.

   There are two potential interactions between Quick-Start and the TCP
   flow control: First, receivers might not provide sufficiently large
   buffer space after connection setup, or they may implement buffer
   allocation strategies that implicitly assume the slow-start behavior
   on the sender side.  This document therefore provides guidelines for
   buffer allocation in hosts supporting the Quick-Start extension.
   Second, the TCP receive window scaling mechanism interferes with
   Quick-Start when being used in the initial three-way handshake
   connection setup.  This document describes a simple solution to
   overcome this problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-scharf-tsvwg-quick-start-flow-control-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce