Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Improving TCP's Robustness to Blind In-Window Attacks
	Author(s)	: A. Ramaiah, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-08.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2007-7-10
	
TCP has historically been considered protected against spoofed off-
   path packet injection attacks by relying on the fact that it is
   difficult to guess the 4-tuple (the source and destination IP
   addresses and the source and destination ports) in combination with
   the 32 bit sequence number(s).  A combination of increasing window
   sizes and applications using longer term connections (e.g.  H-323 or
   Border Gateway Protocol [RFC4271]) have left modern TCP
   implementations more vulnerable to these types of spoofed packet
   injection attacks.

   Many of these long term TCP applications tend to have predictable IP
   addresses and ports which makes it far easier for the 4-tuple to be
   guessed.  Having guessed the 4-tuple correctly, an attacker can
   inject a RST, SYN or DATA segment into a TCP connection by
   systematically guessing the sequence number of the spoofed segment to
   be in the current receive window.  This can cause the connection to
   either abort or possibly cause data corruption.  This document
   specifies small modifications to the way TCP handles inbound segments
   that can reduce the chances of a successful attack.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcpsecure-08.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce