Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Comments on the Usefulness of Simple Best-Effort Traffic
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, M. Allman
	Filename	: draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2007-7-3
	
This document presents some observations on "simple best-effort"
   traffic, defined loosely for the purposes of this document as
   Internet traffic that is not covered by Quality of Service
   mechanisms, congestion-based pricing, or the like.  One observation
   is that simple best-effort traffic serves a useful role in the
   Internet, and is worth keeping.  While traffic with Quality of
   Service mechanisms, congestion-based pricing, or the like can also be
   useful, we believe that they are useful as **adjuncts** to simple
   best-effort traffic, not as **replacements** of simple best-effort
   traffic.  A second observation is that for simple best-effort
   traffic, some form of rough flow rate fairness is a useful goal for
   resource allocation, where "flow rate fairness" is defined by the
   goal of equal flow rates for different flows.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce