Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gellens-pop-mangle-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: The MIME Mangling (MANGLE) and Macro (MDEF) POP3 Extensions
	Author(s)	: R. Gellens
	Filename	: draft-gellens-pop-mangle-01.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2007-7-6
	
This document describes two extensions to the POP protocol that have
    been supported for several years by some client and servers.  One
    extension, MANGLE, allows clients to request that MIME body parts be
    removed or converted to a simpler format, that only selected headers
    be transmitted, and/or to for the message to be transcoded to a
    different character set.  The other extension, MACRO, allows clients
    to define macros which are expanded when used, saving repetitive
    transmissions.

    These extensions have been useful in at least two situations: they
    allow clients on constrained devices to avoid downloading body parts
    which cannot be used on the device, and clients which use the TOP
    command to "peek" at messages can have the preview transformed into
    more usable content, as well as avoiding the transmission of
    undesired headers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-pop-mangle-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-gellens-pop-mangle-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gellens-pop-mangle-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce