Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Flow Rate Fairness: Dismantling a Religion
	Author(s)	: B. Briscoe
	Filename	: draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.txt,.pdf
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 2007-7-11
	
Resource allocation and accountability have been major unresolved
   problems with the Internet ever since its inception.  The reason we
   never resolve these issues is a broken idea of what the problem is.
   The applied research and standards communities are using completely
   unrealistic and impractical fairness criteria.  The resulting
   mechanisms don't even allocate the right thing and they don't
   allocate it between the right entities.  We explain as bluntly as we
   can that thinking about fairness mechanisms like TCP in terms of
   sharing out flow rates has no intellectual heritage from any concept
   of fairness in philosophy or social science, or indeed real life.
   Comparing flow rates should never again be used for claims of
   fairness in production networks.  Instead, we should judge fairness
   mechanisms on how they share out the `cost' of each user's actions on
   others.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvarea-fair-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce