Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-thomas-hunter-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: OSPF-lite
	Author(s)	: M. Thomas, et al.
	Filename	: draft-thomas-hunter-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt
	Pages		: 155
	Date		: 2007-8-31
	
This memo documents OSPF-lite. OSPF-lite is a link state routing
protocol, and a branch version of Internet Standard 54 OSPF [ref1].
It is designed to be run internal to a single Autonomous System.
Each OSPF-lite router maintains an identical database describing
the Autonomous System's topology. From this database, a routing table
is calculated by constructing a shortest-path tree.

OSPF-lite has been designed to provide a simpler version of the OSPF 
protocol. A router running ospf-lite requires little configuration.
Areas are not implemented and all designated Router functionality has
been removed from the protocol. OSPF-lite will run over non fully
meshed clouds with no special OSPF configuration commands required.
Many of the Protocol complexities have been removed, and processor
overhead utilised in a different way. This work is intended to keep
pace with the vast increases in processor performance, memory size
and link capacity since OSPF was originally designed in 1989, with
the resulting benefits of simpler network design, configuration and
maintenance.

The differences between this memo and RFC 2328 are highlighted 
throughout the document, but special attention should be placed on
Sections 2, 7, 16, and Appendix A; the latter describes detailed
packet structures. Many of the differences are backward compatible in
nature, but it is not envisioned that OSPF Version 2 will interoperate
with OSPF-lite, unless multiple instances are running and route
redistribution is employed.

The protocol has been designed with backward consistency in mind,
as far has been possible, to allow code modules developed for OSPF
Version 2 to be re-utilised.

This Internet Draft has been written within the same structure as 
RFC 2328, to enable a section-by-section comparison with previous
versions of the main OSPF protocol. It is recommended that the
sections are directly compared. The authors’ thanks in turn go the
developers of all of the features in RFC 2328, and associated RFCs,
and Standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomas-hunter-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-thomas-hunter-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-thomas-hunter-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce