Subject: I-D Action:draft-hoffman-esp-null-protocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:10:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An Authentication-only Profile for ESP with an IP Protocol Identifier
	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman, D. McGrew
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-esp-null-protocol-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2007-08-24

It is desirable to allow firewalls and intrusion detection systems to
be able to inspect the payload of an ESP packet that has been
encrypted with the NULL cipher.  This would allow a firewall to read
the contents and apply the normal policies to it.  However, a device
in the network cannot reliably determine which ESP packets are NULL
encrypted, and cannot easily determine other ESP format parameters
such as the ICV length.  These issues can cause misclassification of
packets and wasted computational resources.
This document solves this problem by defining an authentication-only
profile of ESP and reserving IP protocol numbers for it.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-esp-null-protocol-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-hoffman-esp-null-protocol-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-esp-null-protocol-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce