Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-inetmtu-trivial-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:30:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Trivial Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery for IP/*/IP Tunnels
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-inetmtu-trivial-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2007-09-28

The nominal Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of the Internet has
become 1500 bytes, but existing IP/*/IP tunneling mechanisms impose
an encapsulation overhead that can reduce the effective path MTU to
smaller values.  Additionally, existing tunneling mechanisms are
limited in their ability to discover and utilize larger MTUs.  This
document specifies a trivial mechanism for determining maximum packet
sizes over tunnels that address these issues.1.  Introduction

The nominal Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) of today's Internet has
become 1500 bytes due to the preponderance of networking gear that
configures an MTU of that size.  Since not all links in the Internet
configure a 1500 byte MTU, however [RFC3819], packets can be dropped
due to an MTU restriction on the path.

Upper layers see IP/*/IP tunnels as ordinary links, but even for
packets no larger than 1500 bytes these links are susceptible to
silent loss (e.g., due to path MTU restrictions, lost error messages,
layered encapsulations, reassembly buffer limitations, etc.)
resulting in poor performance and/or communications failures
[RFC2923][RFC4459][RFC4821][RFC4963].

This document specifies a trivial mechanism for determining maximum
packet sizes over IP/*/IP tunnels.  It updates the functional
specifications for Tunnel Endpoints (TEs) found in existing tunneling
mechanisms (see: Section 9).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-inetmtu-trivial-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-templin-inetmtu-trivial-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-templin-inetmtu-trivial-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce