Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:30:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Reliable Server Pooling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Endpoint Handlespace Redundancy Protocol (ENRP)
	Author(s)       : Q. Xie, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-17.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2007-09-22

The Endpoint Handlespace Redundancy Protocol (ENRP) is designed to
work in conjunction with the Aggregate Server Access Protocol (ASAP)
to accomplish the functionality of the Reliable Server Pooling
(RSerPool) requirements and architecture.  Within the operational
scope of RSerPool, ENRP defines the procedures and message formats of
a distributed, fault-tolerant registry service for storing,
bookkeeping, retrieving, and distributing pool operation and
membership information.

Table of Contents

1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
  1.1.  Definitions  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
  1.2.  Conventions  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
2.  ENRP Message Definitions . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
  2.1.  ENRP_PRESENCE message  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
  2.2.  ENRP_HANDLE_TABLE_REQUEST message  . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
  2.3.  ENRP_HANDLE_TABLE_RESPONSE message . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
  2.4.  ENRP_HANDLE_UPDATE message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
  2.5.  ENRP_LIST_REQUEST message  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
  2.6.  ENRP_LIST_RESPONSE message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
  2.7.  ENRP_INIT_TAKEOVER message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
  2.8.  ENRP_INIT_TAKEOVER_ACK message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
  2.9.  ENRP_TAKEOVER_SERVER message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
  2.10. ENRP_ERROR message . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
3.  ENRP Operation Procedures  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
  3.1.  Methods for Communicating amongst ENRP Servers . . . . . . 17
  3.2.  ENRP Server Initialization . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18

 3.2.1.  Generate a Server Identifier . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18

 3.2.2.  Acquire Peer Server List . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19

 3.2.3.  Download ENRP Handlespace Data from Mentor Peer  . . . 21
  3.3.  Handle PE Registration . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23

 3.3.1.  Rules on PE Re-registration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 24
  3.4.  Handle PE De-registration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
  3.5.  Pool Handle Translation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26
  3.6.  Server Handlespace Update  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27

 3.6.1.  Announcing Addition or Update of PE  . . . . . . . . . 27

 3.6.2.  Announcing Removal of PE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
  3.7.  Detecting and Removing Unreachable PE  . . . . . . . . . . 28
  3.8.  Helping PE and PU to Discover Home ENRP Server . . . . . . 29
  3.9.  Maintaining Peer List and Monitoring Peer Status . . . . . 29

 3.9.1.  Discovering New Peer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

 3.9.2.  Server Sending Heartbeat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

 3.9.3.  Detecting Peer Server Failure  . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
  3.10. Taking-over a Failed Peer Server . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30

 3.10.1. Initiating Server Take-over Arbitration  . . . . . . . 31

 3.10.2. Take-over Target Peer Server . . . . . . . . . . . . . 32
  3.11. Handlespace Data Auditing and Re-synchronization . . . . . 32

 3.11.1. Auditing Procedures  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 33

 3.11.2. PE Checksum Calculation Algorithm  . . . . . . . . . . 33

 3.11.3. Re-synchronization Procedures  . . . . . . . . . . . . 34
  3.12. Handling Unrecognized Message or Unrecognized Parameter  . 35
4.  Variables and Thresholds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
  4.1.  Variables  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
  4.2.  Thresholds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
5.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 37
  5.1.  A New Table for ENRP Message Types . . . . . . . . . . . . 37
  5.2.  A New Table for Update Action Types  . . . . . . . . . . . 37
  5.3.  Multicast Addresses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38
6.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39
  6.1.  Summary of Rserpool Security Threats . . . . . . . . . . . 39
  6.2.  Implementing Security Mechanisms . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40
  6.3.  Chain of trust . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41
7.  Acknowledgements . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 43
8.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
  8.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
  8.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 44
Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 45
Intellectual Property and Copyright Statements . . . . . . . . . . 47

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-17.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-17.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rserpool-enrp-17.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce