Subject: I-D Action:draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ASCII Escaping of Unicode Characters
	Author(s)       : J. Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2007-10-11

There are a number of circumstances in which an escape mechanism is
needed in conjunction with a protocol to encode characters that
cannot be represented or transmitted directly.  With ASCII coding the
traditional escape has been either the decimal or hexadecimal offset
of the character, written in a variety of different ways.  The move
to Unicode, where characters occupy two or more octets and may be
coded in several different forms, has further complicated the
question of escapes.  This document discusses some options now in use
and discusses considerations for selecting one for use in new IETF
protocols and protocols that are now being internationalized.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-06.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce