Subject: I-D Action:draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:30:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Discovering, Querying, and Controlling Firewalls and NATs using STUN
	Author(s)       : D. Wing, et al.
	Filename        : draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-04.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2007-10-10

Simple Traversal Underneath NAT (STUN) is a mechanism for traversing
NATs.  STUN requests are transmitted through a NAT to external STUN
servers.  While this works very well, its two primary drawbacks are
the inability to modify the properties of a NAT binding and the need
to query a public STUN server for every new NAT binding (e.g., every
phone call).  These drawbacks require frequent keepalive messages,
which contribute negatively to server and network load.

This document describes two mechanisms to discover NATs and firewalls
and a mechanism to query and control them.  With these mechanisms,
binding discovery and keepalive traffic can be reduced to involve
only the necessary NATs or firewalls.  This eliminates the keepalive
traffic to servers, and vastly reduces keepalive traffic across the
network.  At the same time, backwards compatibility with NATs and
firewalls that do not support this specification is retained, which
allows for incremental deployment of these mechanisms.

This document is discussed on the SAFE mailing list,
<http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/safe>.

Terminology

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce