Subject: I-D Action:draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 19:00:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Discovering, Querying, and Controlling Firewalls and NATs
	Author(s)       : D. Wing, et al.
	Filename        : draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-05.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2007-10-16

A drawback with many NAT UDP hole punching techniques is the
keepalive traffic necessary to keep the UDP binding open.  It it
necessary to send keepalives frequently because it is not possible to
determine or modify the NAT's binding lifetime.  This keepalive
traffic causes server load and additional network traffic, which is
especially problematic with battery-operated wireless devices.
This document describes two mechanisms to discover NATs and firewalls
and a mechanism to query and control their binding lifetime.  With
these mechanisms, UDP binding discovery and UDP keepalive traffic can
be reduced to involve only the necessary NATs or firewalls.  This
eliminates the keepalive traffic to servers, and vastly reduces
keepalive traffic across the network.  At the same time, backwards
compatibility with NATs and firewalls that do not support this
specification is retained, which allows for incremental deployment of
this mechanism.

This document is discussed on the SAFE mailing list,
<http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/safe>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-wing-behave-nat-control-stun-usage-05.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce