Subject: I-D Action:draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:30:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A New Method of Constructing Interface Identifiers for Expanded Autoconfiguration in IPv6
	Author(s)       : B. Dickson
	Filename        : draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2007-10-04

This Internet Draft discusses a proposed extension to the set of
Interface Identifier construction methods for 802 networks.  The
purpose of this is to allow autoconf RA announcments of prefix length
other than 64 bits.  It is intended to be fully backward compatible
for /64 announcements.  Instead of having one Interface Identifier
construction method for all purposes, this adds an alternate method
which is only used for autoconf, and only if the prefix length is not
/64.  No other IPv6 methods or protocols require modification.
However, without modification, use of prefixes other than /64 likely
won't support many IPv6 enhanced functions.

The ultimate goal it providing enough bits between the top level
allocation by Regional Internet Registristry (RIR) and the smallest
autoconfiguration allocation, to allow both external aggregation by
ISPs into one prefix, as well as internal hierarchical aggregation to
support a variety of ISP topologies and practices.  Current policies
are driven from below by the current 64 bit Interface Identifier.
Only by relaxing this to 48 bits for such technologies as 802
(Ethernet), does the number of bits available reach a level deemed
"sufficient".Author's Note

This Internet Draft is intended to result in this draft or a related
draft(s) being placed on the Standards Track for 6man.
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [5].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dickson-v6man-new-autoconf-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce