Subject: I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:40:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPsec Gateway Failover Protocol
	Author(s)       : Y. Sheffer, et al.
	Filename        : draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2007-10-18

The Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) protocol is
computationally intensive with respect to the number of round-trips
required and cryptographic operations involved.  In remote access
situations, the Extensible Authentication Protocol is used for
authentication, which adds additional computational intensity.

To re-establish security associations (SA) upon a failure recovery
condition is time consuming, especially when an IPsec peer, such as a
VPN gateway, needs to re-establish a large number of SAs with various
end points.  A high number of concurrent sessions might cause
additional problems for an IPsec peer during SA re-establishment.

In many failure cases it would be useful to provide an efficient way
to resume an interrupted IKE/IPsec session.  This document proposes
an extension to IKEv2 that allows a client to re-establish an IKE SA
with a gateway in a highly efficient manner, utilizing a previously
established IKE SA.

A client can reconnect to a gateway from which it was disconnected,
or alternatively migrate to another gateway that is associated with
the previous one.  The proposed approach conveys IKEv2 state
information, in the form of an encrypted ticket, to a VPN client that
is later presented to the VPN gateway for re-authentication.  An
encrypted ticket cannot be decrypted by a VPN client but allows a VPN
gateway to restore state for faster session state setup.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sheffer-ipsec-failover-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce