Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 02:40:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Better-Than-Nothing Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Problem and Applicability Statement for Better Than Nothing Security (BTNS)
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-06.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2007-10-03

The Internet network security protocol suite, IPsec, consisting of 
IKE, ESP, and AH, generally requires authentication of network layer 
entities to bootstrap security. This authentication can be based on 
mechanisms such as pre-shared symmetric keys, certificates and 

 associated asymmetric keys, or the use of Kerberos.  The need to 
deploy authentication information and its associated identities to 
network layer entities can be a significant obstacle to use of 
network security.  This document explains the rationale for extending 
the Internet network security suite to enable use of IPsec security 
mechanisms without authentication. These extensions are intended to 
protect communication in a "better than nothing" (BTNS) fashion. The 
extensions may be used on their own (Stand Alone BTNS, or SAB), or 
may be useful in providing network layer security that can be 
authenticated by higher layers in the protocol stack, called Channel 
Bound BTNS (CBB). This document also explains situations in which use 
of SAB and CBB extensions are appropriate. 

Conventions used in this document 

In examples, "C:" and "S:" indicate lines sent by the client and 
server respectively. 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 Error! 
Reference source not found..

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-06.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-06.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce