Subject: I-D Action:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:00:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Entity Tag ("ETag") Response Header in Write Operations
	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2007-10-25

The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) specifies a state identifier,
called "Entity Tag", to be returned in the "ETag" response header.
However, the description of this header for write operations such as
PUT is incomplete, and has caused confusion among developers and
protocol designers, and potentially interoperability problems.
This document explains the problem in detail and suggests both a
clarification for a revision to the HTTP/1.1 specification (RFC2616)
and a new header for use in responses, making HTTP entity tags more
useful for user agents that want to avoid round-trips to the server
after modifying a resource.

Editorial Note (To be removed by RFC Editor before publication)

Distribution of this document is unlimited.  Please send comments to
the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) mailing list at
[email-masked] [1], which may be joined by sending a message
with subject "subscribe" to [email-masked] [2].

Discussions of the HTTP working group are archived at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/>.

XML versions, latest edits and the issues list for this document are
available from
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/#draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-08.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce