Subject: I-D Action:draft-nir-tls-eap-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:00:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TLS using EAP Authentication
	Author(s)       : Y. Nir, et al.
	Filename        : draft-nir-tls-eap-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2007-10-14

This document describes an extension to the TLS protocol to allow TLS
clients to authenticate with legacy credentials using the Extensible
Authentication Protocol (EAP).

This work follows the example of IKEv2, where EAP has been added to
the IKEv2 protocol to allow clients to use different credentials such
as passwords, token cards, and shared secrets.

When TLS is used with EAP, additional records are sent after the
ChangeCipherSpec protocol message and before the Finished message,
effectively creating an extended handshake before the application
layer data can be sent.  Each EapMsg handshake record contains
exactly one EAP message.  Using EAP for client authentication allows
TLS to be used with various AAA back-end servers, such as RADIUS or
Diameter.

TLS with EAP may be used for securing a data connection such as HTTP
or POP3.  We believe it has three main benefits:
o  The ability of EAP to work with backend servers can remove that

burden from the application layer.
o  Moving the user authentication into the TLS handshake protects the

presumably less secure application layer from attacks by

unauthenticated parties.
o  Using mutual authentication methods within EAP can help thwart

certain classes of phishing attacks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nir-tls-eap-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-nir-tls-eap-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-nir-tls-eap-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce