Subject: I-D Action:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:20:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-01.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2007-11-19

This memo concerns dropping or marking packets using active queue
management (AQM) such as random early detection (RED) or pre-
congestion notification (PCN).  It answers the question of whether to
take packet size into account when network equipment writes
congestion notification, or when transports read it.  The primary
conclusion is that the variant of RED that gives lower drop
probability to smaller packets (byte-mode packet drop) should not be
used because it creates a perverse incentive for transports to use
tiny segments, consequently also opening up a DoS vulnerability.
TCP's lack of attention to packet size and its sensitivity to loss of
SYNs and ACKs should be fixed in TCP, not by reverse engineering
network forwarding to fix transport protocols.  Nonetheless raw drop-
tail is just as vulnerable to gaming by small packets, so AQM itself
should not be turned off.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce