Subject: I-D Action:draft-gray-rbridge-scaling-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:40:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Issues and Approaches to Scaling RBridge Deployments
	Author(s)       : E. Gray
	Filename        : draft-gray-rbridge-scaling-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2007-11-11

RBridges are link layer (L2) devices that use routing protocols 

  as a control plane. They combine several of the benefits of the 

  link layer with network layer routing benefits. RBridges may use 

  existing link state routing (without requiring configuration) to 

  improve RBridge to RBridge aggregate throughput. RBridges also 

  Gray

 Expires May, 2008

 [page 1] 

  Internet-Draft

 Scaling RBridge Deployments

November 2007 

  provide support for IP multicast and IP address resolution 

  optimizations. They are intended to be applicable to similar L2 

  network sizes as conventional bridges and are intended to be 

  backward compatible with those bridges as both ingress/egress 

  and transit. They also support VLANs (although this generally 

  requires configuration) and otherwise attempt to retain as much 

  'plug and play' as is already available in existing bridges. 

  There has been a lot of discussion within the TRILL working 

  group about the potential for scaling issues when using IS-IS in 

  combination with (possibly as many as 4K) VLANs. This document 

  is intended to provide information on potential scaling issues 

  and the possible solutions that may be applied in deploying 

  RBridges. 

  Gray

 Expires May, 2008

 [page 2] 

  Internet-Draft

 Scaling RBridge Deployments

November 2007

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gray-rbridge-scaling-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gray-rbridge-scaling-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gray-rbridge-scaling-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce