Subject: I-D Action:draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 08:20:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1
	Author(s)       : R. Fielding, et al.
	Filename        : draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.txt
	Pages           : 248
	Date            : 2007-11-18

The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is an application-level
protocol for distributed, collaborative, hypermedia information
systems.  It is a generic, stateless, protocol which can be used for
many tasks beyond its use for hypertext, such as name servers and
distributed object management systems, through extension of its
request methods, error codes and headers [RFC2324].  A feature of
HTTP is the typing and negotiation of data representation, allowing
systems to be built independently of the data being transferred.

HTTP has been in use by the World-Wide Web global information
initiative since 1990.  This specification defines the protocol
referred to as "HTTP/1.1", and is an update to RFC2616.Editorial Note (To
be removed by RFC Editor before publication)

Distribution of this document is unlimited.  Please send comments to
the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) mailing list at
[email-masked] [1], which may be joined by sending a message
with subject "subscribe" to [email-masked] [2].
Discussions of the HTTP working group are archived at
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/>.  XML versions,
latest edits and the issues list for this document are available from
<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/>.

The purpose of this document is to revise [RFC2616], doing only
minimal corrections.  For now, it is not planned to advance the
standards level of HTTP, thus - if published - the specification will
still be a "Proposed Standard" (see [RFC2026]).

The current plan is to incorporate known errata, and to update the
specification text according to the current IETF publication
guidelines.  In particular:

o  Incorporate the corrections collected in the RFC2616 errata

document (<http://purl.org/NET/http-errata>) (most of the

suggested fixes have been applied to draft 01 [3]).

o  Incorporate corrections for newly discovered and agreed-upon

problems, using the HTTP WG mailing list as forum and

<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/> as

issues list.

o  Update references, and re-classify them into "Normative" and

"Informative", based on the prior work done by Jim Gettys in

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gettys-http-v11-spec-rev-00>.

This document is based on a variant of the original RFC2616
specification formatted using Marshall T. Rose's "xml2rfc" tool (see
<http://xml.resource.org>) and therefore deviates from the original
text in word wrapping, page breaks, list formatting, reference
formatting, whitespace usage and appendix numbering.  Otherwise, it
is supposed to contain an accurate copy of the original specification
text.  See <http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/
rfc2616bis-00-from-rfc2616.diff.html> for a comparison between both
documents, as generated by "rfcdiff"
(<http://tools.ietf.org/tools/rfcdiff/>).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lafon-rfc2616bis-04.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce