Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 14:15:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: IPv6 - IPv4 Translators (NAT64) - Problem Statement and Analysis
	Author(s)	: M. Bagnulo
	Filename	: draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2007-11-13

   RFC 4966 published on July 2007 deprecates the NAT-PT tool, the
   mechanism defined by the IETF to enable communications between IPv4
   only nodes with IPv6 only nodes, letting the dual-stack approach as
   the preferred mechanism to enable nodes to be able to communicate
   with v6 and v4 nodes.  However, there are several reasons why the
   dual stack approach may not be adequate for a number of scenarios.
   For once, the dual-stack approach imposes the management of two
   networks in a site, the v6 one and the v4 one, increasing the costs
   of using IPv6.  In addition, as IPv4 public address space is
   depleted, it will no longer possible to access to IPv4 public
   addresses, making dual stack nodes even less attractive.  It is then
   considered necessary to explore alternative mechanisms that enable
   communication of v6 nodes and v4 nodes, other than the deprecated
   NAT-PT.  In order to do that, the first that is needed is to
   understand what capabilities are required and what constrains affect
   the design space.  The goal of this document is to state the
   different capabilities that can be required to IPv4 - IPv6
   translators (hereafter called NAT64) and the constraints that affect
   the solution space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-bagnulo-v6ops-6man-nat64-pb-statement-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce