Subject: I-D Action:draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:30:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A TCP Test to Allow Senders to Identify Receiver Non-Compliance
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-02.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2007-11-08

The TCP protocol relies on receivers sending accurate and timely
feedback to the sender.  Currently the sender has no means to verify
that a receiver is correctly sending this feedback according to the
protocol.  A receiver that is non-compliant has the potential to
disrupt a sender's resource allocation, increasing its transmission
rate on that connection which in turn could adversely affect the
network itself.  This document presents a two stage test process that
can be used to identify whether a receiver is non-compliant.  The
tests enshrine the principle that one shouldn't attribute to malice
that which may be accidental.  The first stage test causes minimum
impact to the receiver but raises a suspicion of non-compliance.  The
second stage test can then be used to verify that the receiver is
non-compliant.  This specification does not modify the core TCP
protocol - the tests can either be implemented as a test suite or as
a stand-alone test through a simple modification to the sender
implementation.

Status

By submitting this Internet-Draft, each author represents that any
applicable patent or other IPR claims of which he or she is aware
have been or will be disclosed, and any of which he or she becomes
aware will be disclosed, in accordance with Section 6 of BCP 79.
Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.  Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of
six months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as
reference material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.  The list of Internet-
Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Changes from previous drafts (to be removed by the RFC Editor)

>From -01 to -02:

A number of changes made following an extensive review from Alfred

Hoenes.  These were largely to better comply with the stated aims

of the previous version but also included some tidying up of the

protocol details and a new section on a possible unwanted

interaction.

>From -00 to -01:

Draft rewritten to emphasise testing for non-compliance.  Some

changes to protocol to remove possible unwanted interactions with

other TCP variants.  Sections added on comparison of solutions and

alternative uses of test.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce