Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lapuh-network-smlt-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:15:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Split Multi-link Trunking (SMLT)
	Author(s)	: R. Lapuh, et al.
	Filename	: draft-lapuh-network-smlt-07.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2007-11-16
	
This document describes Split Multi-link Trunking (SMLT) for bridged
and routed networks. SMLT enables topologies with upstream node
redundancy for increased reliability of Layer 2 link aggregation
subnetworks based on [IEEE 802.3ad] and router redundancy based on
VRRP [RFC3768].

SMLT is an improvement over Multi-Link Trunking (MLT), a method of
link aggregation that allows multiple Ethernet links to be aggregated
together, and handled as a single logical trunk. MLT can be realized
via many different link aggregation mechanisms. Several methods of
MLT are in use today; one example is [IEEE 802.3ad].

SMLT is MLT with links of a link-aggregation group connected to ports
on two different devices (e.g. SMLT client and aggregation device).
Unlike MLT, at least one end of a link-aggregated group is dual-homed
to two different SMLT aggregation devices. In many cases those
devices act as bridges (switches) as well as L3 routers (Routing
Switches). These two redundant SMLT aggregation devices can share one
or more VRRP routing instances; for that SMLT-VRRP extends the VRRP
functionality to an active-active router concept, where both SMLT
aggregation device route traffic for a common VRRP-ID, thus load
balancing traffic not only for L2 but also for L3.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lapuh-network-smlt-07.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-lapuh-network-smlt-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-lapuh-network-smlt-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce