Subject: I-D Action:draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:50:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding Comparison
	Author(s)       : K. Chan, G. Karagiannis
	Filename        : draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2007-11-19

DiffServ mechanisms have been developed to support Quality of Service
(QoS).  However, the level of assurance that can be provided with
DiffServ without substantial over-provisioning is limited.  Pre-
Congestion Notification (PCN) investigates the use of per-flow
admission control to provide the required service guarantees for the
admitted traffic.  While admission control will protect the QoS under
normal operating conditions, an additional flow termination mechanism
is necessary in the times of heavy congestion (e.g. caused by route
changes due to link or node failure).

Encoding and their transport are required to carry the congestion and
pre-congestion information from the congestion and pre-congestion
points to the decision points.  This document provides a survey of
several encoding methods, using comparisons amongst them as a way to
explain their strengths and weaknesses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce