Subject: I-D Action:draft-noisternig-ipdvb-ulesec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:30:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A lightweight security extension for the Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol
	Author(s)       : M. Noisternig, B. Collini-Nocker
	Filename        : draft-noisternig-ipdvb-ulesec-00.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2007-11-05

The Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol is an 
efficient and extensible transport mechanism for IP over MPEG-2 
networks. Such networks are often operated on broadcast wireless 

 channels, and are thus specifically vulnerable to attacks. Passive 
attacks, such as eaves-dropping, are simple to perform and emphasize 
the importance of security support within ULE. 

This document defines a mandatory security extension for the ULE 
protocol that is designed with the aim of being conservative in 
bandwidth consumption and lightweight in the sense that it allows for 
implementation in low-cost, resource-scarce (mobile) receiver 
devices. The extension may be easily adapted to the Generic Stream 
Encapsulation (GSE) protocol, which uses the same extension header 
mechanism. The document describes the format of the security 
extension header, specifies default security algorithms to be used 
with this extension, and gives detailed processing descriptions for 
devices implementing the security extension. 

Conventions used in this document 

The following DVB specific terms are taken from [RFC4326] and 
recapitulated here for easy lookup: 

DVB: Digital Video Broadcast.  A framework and set of associated 
standards published by the European Telecommunications Standards 
Institute (ETSI) for the transmission of video, audio, and data using 
the ISO MPEG-2 standard [MPEG2]. 

MPEG-2: A set of standards specified by the Motion Picture Experts 
Group (MPEG) and standardized by the International Standards 
Organization (ISO/IEC 13818-1) [MPEG2] and ITU-T [H222]. 

NPA: Network Point of Attachment.  In this document, refers to a 48-
bit destination address (resembling an IEEE MAC address) within the 
MPEG-2 transmission network that is used to identify individual 
receivers or groups of receivers. 

PDU: Protocol Data Unit.  Examples of a PDU include Ethernet frames, 
IPv4 or IPv6 datagrams, and other network packets. 

PID: Packet Identifier [MPEG2].  A 13-bit field carried in the header 
of TS cells.  This is used to identify the TS Logical Channel to 
which a TS cell belongs [MPEG2]. 

SNDU: SubNetwork Data Unit.  An encapsulated PDU sent as an MPEG-2 
payload unit. 

TS: Transport Stream [MPEG2].  A method of transmission at the MPEG-2 
level using TS cells; it represents layer 2 of the ISO/OSI reference 
model. 
 
 TS Logical Channel: Transport Stream Logical Channel.  In this 
document, this term identifies a channel at the MPEG-2 level [MPEG2]. 
All packets sent over a TS Logical Channel carry the same PID value. 

ULE: Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation [RFC4326].  A protocol 
that encapsulates PDUs into SNDUs that are sent in a series of TS 
cells using a single TS Logical Channel. 

Terms and abbreviations from cryptography are explained when they 
first appear within this document. 

All numbers encoded in protocols are to be interpreted in network 
byte order. 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL", when 
appearing within this document, are to be interpreted as described in 
[RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-noisternig-ipdvb-ulesec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-noisternig-ipdvb-ulesec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-noisternig-ipdvb-ulesec-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce