Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:15:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol Version 3 for IPv4 and IPv6
	Author(s)	: S. Nadas
	Filename	: draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-00.txt
	Pages		: 42
	Date		: 2007-11-20
	
   This memo defines the Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) for
   IPv4 and IPv6.  It is version three (3) of the protocol and it is
   based on VRRP (version 2) for IPv4 that is defined in RFC 3768 and on
   draft-ieft-vrrp-ipv6-spec-08.txt.  VRRP specifies an election
   protocol that dynamically assigns responsibility for a virtual router
   to one of the VRRP routers on a LAN.  The VRRP router controlling the
   IPv4 or IPv6 address(es) associated with a virtual router is called
   the Master, and forwards packets sent to these IPv4 or IPv6
   addresses.  VRRP Master routers are configured with virtual IPv4 or
   IPv6 addresses and VRRP Backup routers infer the address family of
   the virtual addresses being carried based on the transport protocol.
   Within a VRRP router the virtual routers in each of the IPv4 and IPv6
   address families are a domain unto themselves and do not overlap.
   The election process provides dynamic fail over in the forwarding
   responsibility should the Master become unavailable.  For IPv4, the
   advantage gained from using VRRP is a higher availability default
   path without requiring configuration of dynamic routing or router
   discovery protocols on every end-host.  For IPv6, the advantage
   gained from using VRRP for IPv6 is a quicker switch over to back up
   routers than can be obtained with standard IPv6 Neighbor Discover
   (RFC 2461) mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-vrrp-unified-spec-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce