Subject: I-D Action:draft-burger-sip-info-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:30:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) INFO Method Use
	Author(s)       : E. Burger
	Filename        : draft-burger-sip-info-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2007-11-18

The purpose of the INFO request for the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP), as described by RFC 2976, is to provide mid-session SIP User
Agent (UA)-to-SIP UA application data transport.  In the years since
the introduction of the INFO request, experience with the use of the
INFO request indicates a number of problems.  This document explains
why there are INFO-based, proprietary protocols in the wild; the
flaws of using INFO; and explains why it is not possible to create a
framework to rescue INFO for general purpose use.  Since SIP has
evolved considerably since the introduction of INFO, this document
highlights some of the new, robust mechanisms for achieving the work
that previously led people to use INFO.  As these mechanisms are now
available, this document formally deprecates the use of INFO for new
usages beyond the existing standardized ones, namely RFC 3372 (SIP-T)
and RFC 4497 (QSIG).

Conventions Used in this Document

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [1].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-burger-sip-info-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-burger-sip-info-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-burger-sip-info-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce