Subject: I-D Action:draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:40:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Modified Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2007-11-14

A smooth transition from IPv4 to IPv6 requires that either all hosts
are upgraded to dual stack before the first hosts can become IPv6-
only, or that there be some mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to talk to
IPv4-only hosts.  Expecting the former within a reasonable timeframe
isn't realistic, based on current adoption of dual stack combined
with the latest projections for the IPv4 depletion that point to a
date early in the next decade.  And the IETF has recently deprecated
the main mechanism that allows the latter: NAT-PT.
This document proposes modifications to NAT-PT that address the
reasons why the mechanism was deprecated.  This should allow future
deployment of the modified NAT-PT as an IPv4-to-IPv6 transition
mechanism, giving operators the option to run their networks largely
IPv6-only.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce