Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 07:40:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The TCP Authentication Option
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-00.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2007-11-12

This document specifies a TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO) which is 
intended to replace the TCP MD5 Signature option of RFC-2385 (TCP 
MD5). TCP-AO specifies the use of stronger Message Authentication 

 Codes (MACs) and provides more details on the association of security 
associations with TCP connections. TCP-AO assumes an external, out-
of-band mechanism (manual or via a separate protocol) for session key 
establishment, parameter negotiation, and rekeying, replicating the 
separation of key management and key use as in the IPsec suite. The 
result is intended to be a simple modification to support current 
infrastructure uses of TCP MD5, such as to protect BGP and LDP, and 
to support a larger set of MACs with minimal other system and 
operational changes. TCP-AO uses a new option identifier, even though 
it is intended to be mutually exclusive with TCP MD5 on a given TCP 
connection. It supports IPv6, and is fully compatible with 
requirements under development for an update to TCP MD5. 

Conventions used in this document 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [RFC2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce