Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:10:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Profile for Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP) Congestion ID 4: TCP-Friendly Rate Control for Small Packets (TFRC-SP)
	Author(s)       : S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2007-11-18

This document specifies an experimental profile for Congestion
Control Identifier 4, the Small-Packet variant of TCP-Friendly Rate
Control (TFRC), in the Datagram Congestion Control Protocol (DCCP).
CCID 4 is for experimental use, and uses TFRC-SP [RFC4828], a variant
of TFRC designed for applications that send small packets.  CCID 4 is
considered experimental because TFRC-SP is itself experimental, and
is not proposed for widespread deployment in the global Internet at
this time.  The goal for TFRC-SP is to achieve roughly the same
bandwidth in bits per second (bps) as a TCP flow using packets of up
to 1500 bytes but experiencing the same level of congestion.  CCID 4
is for experimental use for senders that send small packets and would
like a TCP-friendly sending rate, possibly with Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN), while minimizing abrupt rate changes.
TO BE DELETED BY THE RFC EDITOR UPON PUBLICATION:

Changes from draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-00.txt:

* Added that the RFC 4342 errata applies to CCID 4 as well.  From
email from Leandro Sales.

* Added the phrase "If the sender is calculating the loss event rate
itself" to a non-normative description in Section 5.  Feedback from
Gerrit Renker.

* Deleted the Send Dropped Packets feature, since it is not used in
CCID 4.  In CCID 4, the Dropped Packets option is mandatory.

Changes from draft-floyd-dccp-ccid4-01.txt:

* Title changed to draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-00.txt.

* Incorporated material from draft-kohler-dccp-ccid3-drops-01.txt.

* Added a reference to RFC3448bis.

* Added a sentence saying that this is Experimental because TFRC-SP
is Experimental.

* General editing in response to feedback from Gorry.

Changes from draft-floyd-dccp-ccid4-00.txt:

* Added a subsection describing calculation of the average loss
interval in TFRC-SP.

* Changed the assumed DCCP-Data header size from 12 bytes to 16
bytes, for 48-bit sequence numbers.  Feedback from Ian McDonald.

* Added that the CCID4 sender can send two packets in a burst, if
limited by OS granularity.  From Ian McDonald.

* Added that the implementor may track Faster Restart and implement
it before an explicit update to the CCID4 RFC.  From Ian McDonald.

* Added an example to Section 8.4 of when errors can occur in using
the Window Counter to detect loss intervals of at most two round-trip
times.

Changes from draft-floyd-ccid4-00.txt:

* Added the Dropped Packets option for reporting the number of
packets dropped in a loss interval.

* Added examples to Section 8.4 of the receiver incorrectly inferring
whether a loss interval was short or not.

END OF SECTION TO BE DELETED.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dccp-ccid4-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce