Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosenau-rpc-dynnames-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:15:01 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: DYNAMIC RPC NUMBER ASSIGNMENT AND DISTRIBUTION
	Author(s)	: M. Rosenau
	Filename	: draft-rosenau-rpc-dynnames-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2008-1-28
	
   The RPC port mapper described in [1] and [2] allows a service to
   bind to any free TCP or UDP port. A client that wants to establish a
   connection to a server will ask the RPC portmapper for the TCP or
   UDP port of the service and establish the connection.

   The problem is that clients now need to know the RPC application
   number of the service they want to connect to. These numbers are
   assigned by the IANA for registered applications. For "experimental"
   applications there is a range of application numbers that is
   managed by the local network's administrator.

   Especially when using such "experimental" applications in wide
   area networks there is the problem that the client needs to know
   the server application's RPC application number.

   The protocol described in this document allows a server host the
   dynamical assigning of RPC numbers. It allows clients to ask the
   server for for RPC number by the application name.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenau-rpc-dynnames-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-rosenau-rpc-dynnames-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosenau-rpc-dynnames-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce