Subject: I-D Action:draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 01:10:03 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Comments on the Usefulness of Simple Best-Effort Traffic
	Author(s)       : S. Floyd, I. Property
	Filename        : draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-01-15

This document presents some observations on "simple best-effort"
traffic, defined loosely for the purposes of this document as
Internet traffic that is not covered by Quality of Service
mechanisms, congestion-based pricing, cost-based fairness, admissions
control, or the like.  One observation is that simple best-effort
traffic serves a useful role in the Internet, and is worth keeping.
While differential treatment of traffic can clearly be useful, we
believe such mechanisms are useful as **adjuncts** to simple best-
effort traffic, not as **replacements** of simple best-effort
traffic.  A second observation is that for simple best-effort
traffic, some form of rough flow rate fairness is a useful goal for
resource allocation, where "flow rate fairness" is defined by the
goal of equal flow rates for different flows over the same path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce