Subject: I-D Action:draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Optimizing Notifications for Presence Network Agents
	Author(s)       : B. Rosen, et al.
	Filename        : draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-02-18

In large presence systems deployed in multiservice networks, presence
information is often known by the network in addition to, or instead
of the presentity's devices (endpoints).  Examples of such
information include location and availability for various kinds of
session establishment.  Even if devices know the information, the
network often has more bandwidth and better scale to keep the
presence server up to date.  A Presence Network Agent (PNA) can
publish presence information to a Presence Server(PS).  When done
large scale, the basic publish operation can be inefficient.  When
the network has millions of subscribers, only some of which have
watchers, blind Publish operations are unecessary.  WINFO can be used
to determine watchers, but the efficiency of maintaining WINFO per
subscriber, and the size of the messages involved, make that solution
unattractive.  The PNA would prefer to have the Presence Server
simply tell it when there was at least one watcher.

This document describes an XML document stored on the PS by which the
PNA maintains a list of subscribers it can provide presence for as a
SIP event package that tells the PNA when the number of watchers for
a presentity on the list (or a specific presence element for a
presentity) goes from 0 to at least 1 or from 1 to 0.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosen-simple-watcher-count-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce