Subject: I-D Action:draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A BGP Inter-AS Cost Attribute
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2008-02-18

Although BGP implementations have extensive path selection
algorithms, in practice operators have trouble performing
satisfactory traffic engineering of incoming traffic based on BGP
attributes that are taken into account in the path selection
algorithm alone.  For this reason, many ASes deaggregate their
address range(s) into smaller blocks and announce these blocks
differently to different neighboring ASes in order to arrive at the
desired traffic flow.  This practice contributes to the growth of the
global routing table, which drives up capital expenditures for
networks engaging in inter-domain routing.  This memo introduces a
new inter-domain metric that supports finer-grained traffic
engineering than current BGP attributes, most notably, the AS path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-idr-iac-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce