Subject: I-D Action:draft-gondi-radext-radius-roaming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Roaming Extensions for radius server
	Author(s)       : V. Gondi, N. Agoulmine
	Filename        : draft-gondi-radext-radius-roaming-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2008-02-18

The functionalities of radius server can be extended to provide new 
types of services for the users in Wireless and cellular network. 
Traditionally Radius servers are limited to authentication, access 
and accounting, there are few researchers proposing new extensions 

 to provide new functionalities for radius server in wireless and 
cellular networks. In this draft we are proposing to extend the 
functionalities of Radius to extend it to roaming and handover 
support for the mobile terminals. Using this mechanism the mobile 
terminal initially gets access to the network and then when there is 
a possibility of handover and roaming with the other access 
networks, mobile terminal communicates with the home radius server 
and creates the pre authentication information. In this process 
different mechanisms essential for roaming and handover are 
addressed such as Network Selection, Handover Initiation, Security 
Context Management, and Mobility Management. Using this mechanism 
the latency for handover and roaming can be reduced with higher 
level control mobility of the terminal during handover and roaming.  

Conventions used in this document 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 Error! 
Reference source not found.. 

  Mobile Terminal (MT): 

The  user  terminal  which  has  the  capability  of  mobility 

traditionally a mobile phone or a laptop. 
Network Selection (NS): 

The process of identifying the best available network for 

accessing a network. 
Handover (HO): 

Mechanism involving the authentication and access control of 

the MT moving from one access network to another access 

network or technology. 
Security Configuration (SC): 

Authentication and re-authentication management of the mobile 

terminal  in  any  access  networks,  in  this  draft  context 

management is proposed where the security credentials can be 

transported to other mechanisms. 
Mobility Management (MM) 

In this mechanisms the mobility and session context management 

can be achieved. 
Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP): 

 Extensible
Authentication
Protocol
is
a
universal 

authentication framework frequently used in wireless networks 

and Point-to-Point connections defined by RFC 3748. 
Radius server: 

Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS) is an AAA 

(authentication, authorization, and accounting) protocol for 

controlling access to network resources.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gondi-radext-radius-roaming-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-gondi-radext-radius-roaming-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gondi-radext-radius-roaming-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce