Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-trill-prob-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Problem and Applicability Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, R. Perlman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-trill-prob-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2008-02-24

Current Ethernet (802.1) link layers use custom routing protocols 
that have a number of challenges. The routing protocols need to 
strictly avoid loops, even temporary loops during route propagation, 

 because of the lack of header loop detection support. Routing tends 
not to take full advantage of alternate paths, or even non-
overlapping pairwise paths (in the case of spanning trees). The 
convergence of these routing protocols and stability under link 
changes and failures is also of concern. This document addresses 
these concerns and suggests that they are related to the need to be 
able to apply modern network layer routing protocols at the link 
layer. This document assumes that solutions would not address issues 
of scalability beyond that of existing bridged (802.1D) links, but 
that a solution would be backward compatible with 802.1D, including 
hubs, bridges, and their existing plug-and-play capabilities. 

This document is a work in progress; we invite you to participate on 
the mailing list at http://www.postel.org/rbridge

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-prob-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-trill-prob-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-prob-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce