Subject: I-D Action:draft-dickson-idr-second-best-backup-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Enhanced BGP Capabilities for Exchanging Second-best and Back-up Paths
	Author(s)       : B. Dickson
	Filename        : draft-dickson-idr-second-best-backup-01.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2008-02-25

This Internet Draft describes an enhanced way to exchange prefix
information, to permit multiple copies of a prefix with different
paths to be announced and withdrawn.

This negotiated capability provides faster local (inter-AS) and
global (intra-AS) convergence, reduces path-hunting, improves route-
reflector behaviour, including eliminating both persistent
oscillations and BGP "wedgies".

Additional prefix instances have new optional BGP attributes, to
control path selection.

Withdrawl of prefixes will require new attributes to disambiguate
prefix instances.

Benefits are seen both when deployed intra-AS, and on inter-AS
peering.Author's Note

This Internet Draft is intended to result in this draft or a related
draft(s) being placed on the Standards Track for idr.

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [5].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dickson-idr-second-best-backup-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dickson-idr-second-best-backup-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-dickson-idr-second-best-backup-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce