Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-joshi-pim-protocol-state-diag-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: PIM Protocol States Diagnostics
	Author(s)	: B. Joshi, A. Patel, J. Kulkarni
	Filename	: draft-joshi-pim-protocol-state-diag-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2008-2-14
	
Multicast networks are being deployed in large numbers.  It becomes
   very important that, proper mechanisms are in place for
   troubleshooting error conditions and diagnosing other failure
   situations.  Since multicasting has little support from IP in this
   matter (since ICMP does not support multicasting and broadcasting) it behooves that, multicast routing protocols, embed these features in
   themselves.

   There are various debugging tools available to debug Multicast
   connectivity [ssmping][3] and to trace multicast routes [mtrace][4]
   but there is none to diagnose, troubleshoot routing protocol states.
   Since PIM protocol family is probably the most widely used multicast
   routing protocol, this draft suggests an extension to PIM protocol to
   diagnose and troubleshoot various PIM states in PIM routers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-joshi-pim-protocol-state-diag-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-joshi-pim-protocol-state-diag-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-joshi-pim-protocol-state-diag-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce