Subject: I-D Action:draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 07:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Ping and Traceroute with Evidence Collection in Photonic Networks
	Author(s)       : Z. Ali, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-02-25

Z. Ali, et Al.

Expires August 2008

 [page 1] 

Internet-Draft  draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt Nov.07 

[RFC4379] describes procedures for ping and tracerouting for LSPs 
with PSC (packet switch capable) transit switching capability. An 
important implication of using transparent (non-PSC) nodes in GMPLS 
network is that LSP Ping solution described in [RFC4379] are not 
applicable to LSP with non-PSC switching capability. Another 
important difference between PSC and non-PSC switching technologies 
is the data and control plan separation in the latter case. An 
implication of the separation of data and control planes in GMPLS 
networks is that LSP traceroute procedures described in [RFC4379] are 
not directly applicable to GMPLS networks with separation of data and 
control planes.  

The scope of this draft is cases where data plane does not provide 
the OAM functions addressed by this draft. This document is assumed 
that OAM mechanisms provided by the underlying data plan technology 
MUST be used, whenever possible. E.g., G.709 addresses the problem of 
trace routing in DWDM network. However, G.709 OAM mechanisms are only 
applicable to OEO (Optical-Electrical-Optical) capable node. This 
document fills in such gaps; in particular it addresses GMPLS OAM 
functionality in optical networks with wavelength routers, ROADMs 
nodes, etc. with no OEO conversion capability. For this purpose, the 
draft relies on control plan mechanism to provide required OAM 
functions. Specifically the proposed solutions are based on Link 
Management Protocol (LMP) [RFC4204] and RSVP-TE [RFC3209], [RFC3473] 
and do not require any extension to the data plan.  

Conventions used in this document 

In examples, "C:" and "S:" indicate lines sent by the client and 
server respectively. 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ali-ccamp-gmpls-lsp-ping-traceroute-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce