Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Time Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Network Time Protocol Version 4 Autokey Specification
	Author(s)       : B. Haberman, D. Mills
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2008-02-25

This memo describes the Autokey security model for authenticating
servers to clients using the Network Time Protocol (NTP) and public
key cryptography.  Its design is based on the premise that IPSEC
schemes cannot be adopted intact, since that would preclude stateless
servers and severely compromise timekeeping accuracy.  In addition,
PKI schemes presume authenticated time values are always available to
enforce certificate lifetimes; however, cryptographically verified
timestamps require interaction between the timekeeping and
authentication functions.

This memo includes the Autokey requirements analysis, design
principles and protocol specification.  A detailed description of the
protocol states, events and transition functions is included.  A
prototype of the Autokey design based on this memo has been
implemented, tested and documented in the NTP Version 4 (NTPv4)
software distribution for Unix, Windows and VMS at
http://www.ntp.org.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-autokey-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce