Subject: I-D Action:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2008-02-25

This memo concerns dropping or marking packets using active queue
management (AQM) such as random early detection (RED) or pre-
congestion notification (PCN).  The primary conclusion is that packet
size should be taken into account when transports decode congestion
indications, not when network equipment writes them.  Reducing drop
of small packets has some tempting advantages: i) it drops less
control packets, which tend to be small and ii) it makes TCP's bit-
rate less dependent on packet size.  However, there are ways of
addressing these issues at the transport layer, rather than reverse
engineering network forwarding to fix specific transport problems.
Network layer algorithms like the byte-mode packet drop variant of
RED should not be used to drop fewer small packets, because that
creates a perverse incentive for transports to use tiny segments,
consequently also opening up a DoS vulnerability.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-byte-pkt-mark-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce