Subject: I-D Action:draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 14:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Pre-Congestion Notification Encoding Comparison
	Author(s)       : K. Chan, et al.
	Filename        : draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-03.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2008-02-25

A number of mechanisms have been proposed to support differential
Qualiy of Service for packets in the Internet.  DiffServ is an
example of such a mechanism.  However, the level of assurance that
can be provided with DiffServ without substantial over-provisioning
is limited.  Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) uses path congestion
information across a PCN region to enable per-flow admission control
to provide the required service guarantees for the admitted traffic.
While admission control will protect the QoS under normal operating
conditions, an additional flow termination mechanism is necessary to
cope with extreme events (e.g. route changes due to link or node
failure).

In order to allow the PCN mechanisms to work it is necessary for IP
packets to be able to carry the pre-congestion information to the PCN
egress nodes.  This document explores different ways in which this
information can be encoded into IP packets.  This document does not
choose the encoding but provide guidance and recommendation based on
different criteria.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-chan-pcn-encoding-comparison-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce