Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:45:03 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Checksum Ciphersuites for the Bundle Protocol
	Author(s)       : W. Eddy, et al.
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-01.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2008-02-25

The Delay-Tolerant Networking Bundle Protocol includes a custody
transfer mechanism to provide acknowledgements of receipt for
particular bundles.  No checksum is included in the basic DTN Bundle
Protocol, however, so it is not possible to verify that bundles have
been either forwarded or passed through various convergence layers
without errors having been introduced.  Without assurance that a
bundle has been received without errors, the custody transfer receipt
cannot guarantee that a correct copy of the bundle has been
transferred.  This document attempts to address the situation by
defining new ciphersuites for use within the existing Bundle Security
Protocol's Payload Integrity Block (formerly called the Payload
Security Block) to provide error-detection functions regardless of an
implementation's support for other, more complex, security-providing
ciphersuites.  This creates the checksum service needed for error-
free reliability, but does so at the expense of divorcing security
concerns from the few new reliability-only ciphersuite definitions
that are introduced here.  This document lengthily discusses the pros
and cons of this approach and the existing constraints that combined
to drive this design.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-01.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce