Subject: I-D Action:draft-garcia-simple-indirect-presence-publish-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Indirect Presence Publication with the Session Initiation Protocol(SIP)
	Author(s)       : M. Garcia-Martin, et al.
	Filename        : draft-garcia-simple-indirect-presence-publish-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2008-02-18

SIP is extended by the SIP-events framework to provide subscriptions
and notifications of SIP events.  One example of such event
notification mechanism is 'presence' and this presence information is
carried in Presence Information Data Format (PIDF) documents.

The SIP PUBLISH method specified in RFC 3903 carrying a PIDF document
is typically used when presentities publish their own presence since
these presentities are typically the source of the information.
However, there are cases when the presentity is not the direct source
of the presence information.  One such example is location
information where the end host may obtain a reference to location
information as opposed to as a value.  The endpoint is typically not
interested in knowing its own location information, but other users
or entities might be.  So, if the endpoint gets its own location
information with a reference and wants to publish it embedded in its
presence information, it first needs to de-reference it for getting a
value, and then it can embed that value in its presence information.
While this is certainly a correct sequence, it adds a round-trip to
the presence publication, in addition to a demand processing power
and network bandwidth consumption.

There is a need for a mechanism that the presentity can use to
publish indirect references, such as indirect location references.
This document discusses a few variants that may be used to provide
this functionality.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-simple-indirect-presence-publish-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-garcia-simple-indirect-presence-publish-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-garcia-simple-indirect-presence-publish-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce