Subject: I-D Action:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Enhanced validation of domains for HTTP State Management Cookies using DNS
	Author(s)       : Y. Pettersen
	Filename        : draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-02-24

HTTP State Management Cookies are used for a wide variety of tasks on
the Internet, from preference handling to user identification.  An
important privacy and security feature of cookies is that their
information can only be sent to a servers in a limited namespace, the
domain.
The variation of domain structures that are in use by domain name
registries, especially the country code Top Level Domains (ccTLD)
namespaces, makes it difficult to determine what is a valid domain,
e.g. example.co.uk and example.no, which cookies should be permitted
for, and a registry-like domain (subTLDs) like co.uk where cookies
should not be permitted.

This document specifies an imperfect method using DNS name lookups
for cookie domains to determine if cookies can be permitted for that
domain, based on the assumption that most subTLD domains will not
have an IP address assigned to them, while most legitimate services
that share cookies among multiple servers will have an IP address for
their domain name to make the user's navigation easier by omitting
the customary "www" prefix.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-03.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce