Subject: I-D Action:draft-kaplan-behave-twist-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 20:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Traversal With Internet Server Transports (TWIST): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
	Author(s)       : H. Kaplan
	Filename        : draft-kaplan-behave-twist-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2008-03-26

If a host is located behind a NAT, then in certain situations it can be
impossible 
for that host to communicate directly with other hosts (peers) located
behind 
other NATs.  In these situations, it is necessary for the host to use the
services 
of an intermediate node on the Internet that acts as a communication
relay.  
Likewise, if a host of one IP address family wants to communicate with the
host of 
another address family, through one or more NATs, an intermediate node may
be 
necessary.  This specification defines a protocol, called TWIST (Traversal
With 
Internet Server Transports), that allows the host to control the operation
of a 
TWIST relay and to exchange packets with its peers using the relay, or
directly 
between each other. 
 
This is similar to TURN, but defines an alternative mechanism which is
more 
scalable, cheaper to deploy, and is thus more likely to succeed in
achieving wide-
spread use.  TWIST is not meant to replace TURN, but rather to provide an
alternative.  This document is a straw-man proposal, to stimulate
discussion, not 
a fully defined draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kaplan-behave-twist-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt