Subject: I-D Action:draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs
	Author(s)       : T. Narten, H. Alvestrand
	Filename        : draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2008-03-26

Many protocols make use of identifiers consisting of constants and
other well-known values. Even after a protocol has been defined and
deployment has begun, new values may need to be assigned (e.g., for a
new option type in DHCP, or a new encryption or authentication
transform for IPsec).  To ensure that such quantities have consistent
values and interpretations across all implementations, their
assignment must be administered by a central authority. For IETF
protocols, that role is provided by the Internet Assigned Numbers
Authority (IANA).

In order for IANA to manage a given name space prudently, it needs
guidelines describing the conditions under which new values can be
assigned, or when modifications to existing values can be made. If
IANA is expected to play a role in the management of a name space,
the IANA must be given clear and concise instructions describing that
role.  This document discusses issues that should be considered in
formulating a policy for assigning values to a name space and
provides guidelines to document authors on the specific text that
must be included in documents that place demands on IANA.

This document obsoletes RFC 2434.
Contents

Status of this Memo..........................................
 1

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-iana-considerations-rfc2434bis-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt