Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-21.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Open Shortest Path First IGP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : OSPF for IPv6
	Author(s)       : D. Ferguson, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-21.txt
	Pages           : 108
	Date            : 2008-04-14

This document describes the modifications to OSPF to support version
6 of the Internet Protocol (IPv6).  The fundamental mechanisms of
OSPF (flooding, Designated Router (DR) election, area support, Short
Path First (SPF) calculations, etc.) remain unchanged.  However, some
changes have been necessary, either due to changes in protocol
semantics between IPv4 and IPv6, or simply to handle the increased
address size of IPv6.  These modifications will necessitate
incrementing the protocol version from version 2 to version 3.  OSPF
for IPv6 is also referred to as OSPF Version 3 (OSPFv3).

Changes between OSPF for IPv4, OSPF Version 2, and OSPF for IPv6 as
described herein include the following.  Addressing semantics have
been removed from OSPF packets and the basic Link State
Advertisements (LSAs).  New LSAs have been created to carry IPv6
addresses and prefixes.  OSPF now runs on a per-link basis rather
than on a per-IP-subnet basis.  Flooding scope for LSAs has been
generalized.  Authentication has been removed from the OSPF protocol
and instead relies on IPv6's Authentication Header and Encapsulating
Security Payload (ESP).

Even with larger IPv6 addresses, most packets in OSPF for IPv6 are
almost as compact as those in OSPF for IPv4.  Most fields and packet-
size limitations present in OSPF for IPv4 have been relaxed.  In
addition, option handling has been made more flexible.

All of OSPF for IPv4's optional capabilities, including demand
circuit support and Not-So-Stubby Areas (NSSAs) are also supported in
OSPF for IPv6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-21.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt