Subject: I-D Action:draft-hajjeh-tls-identity-protection-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Credential Protection Ciphersuites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)
	Author(s)       : I. Hajjeh
	Filename        : draft-hajjeh-tls-identity-protection-05.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2008-04-02

The Transport Layer Security (TLS) supports three authentication 
modes: authentication of both parties, server authentication with an 
unauthenticated client, and total anonymity.  For each mode, TLS 
specifies a set of cipher suites.  Whenever the server is 

 authenticated, the channel is secure against man-in-the-middle 
attacks, but completely anonymous sessions are inherently vulnerable 
to such attacks. 

The authentication is usually based on either preshared keys or 
public key certificates.  If a public key certificate is used to 
authenticate the TLS client during the TLS Handshake, the TLS client 
credentials are sent in clear text over the wire.  Thus, any observer 
can determine the credentials used by the client, learn who is 
reaching the network, when, and from where, and hence correlate the 
client credentials to the connection location. 

This document defines a set of cipher suites to add client credential 
protection to the TLS protocol.  This is useful especially if TLS is 
used in wireless environments or to secure remote access.  By 
negotiating one of the ciphersuites described in this document, the 
TLS clients will be able to determine for themselves when, how, to 
what extent and for what purpose information about them is 
communicated to others.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hajjeh-tls-identity-protection-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt