Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kunze-ark-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: The ARK Persistent Identifier Scheme
	Author(s)	: J. Kunze, R. Rodgers
	Filename	: draft-kunze-ark-15.txt
	Pages		: 45
	Date		: 2008-5-22
	
The ARK (Archival Resource Key) naming scheme is designed to
   facilitate the high-quality and persistent identification of
   information objects.  A founding principle of the ARK is that
   persistence is purely a matter of service and is neither inherent in
   an object nor conferred on it by a particular naming syntax.  The
   best that an identifier can do is to lead users to the services that
   support robust reference.  The term ARK itself refers both to the
   scheme and to any single identifier that conforms to it.  An ARK has
   five components:

   [http://NMAH/]ark:/NAAN/Name[Qualifier]

   an optional and mutable Name Mapping Authority Hostport (usually a
   hostname), the "ark:" label, the Name Assigning Authority Number
   (NAAN), the assigned Name, and an optional and possibly mutable
   Qualifier supported by the NMA.  The NAAN and Name together form the
   immutable persistent identifier for the object independent of the URL
   hostname.  An ARK is a special kind of URL that connects users to
   three things: the named object, its metadata, and the provider's
   promise about its persistence.  When entered into the location field
   of a Web browser, the ARK leads the user to the named object.  That
   same ARK, inflected by appending a single question mark (`?'),
   returns a brief metadata record that is both human- and machine-
   readable.  When the ARK is inflected by appending dual question marks
   (`??'), the returned metadata contains a commitment statement from
   the current provider.  Tools exist for minting, binding, and
   resolving ARKs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kunze-ark-15.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt