Subject: I-D Action:draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 13:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Comments on the Usefulness of Simple Best-Effort Traffic
	Author(s)       : S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename        : draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-04.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-05-19

This document presents some observations on "simple best-effort"
traffic, defined loosely for the purposes of this document as
Internet traffic that is not covered by Quality of Service
mechanisms, congestion-based pricing, cost-based fairness, admissions
control, or the like.  One observation is that simple best-effort
traffic serves a useful role in the Internet, and is worth keeping.
While differential treatment of traffic can clearly be useful, we
believe such mechanisms are useful as **adjuncts** to simple best-
effort traffic, not as **replacements** of simple best-effort
traffic.  A second observation is that for simple best-effort
traffic, some form of rough flow rate fairness is a useful goal for
resource allocation, where "flow rate fairness" is defined by the
goal of equal flow rates for different flows over the same path.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-floyd-tsvwg-besteffort-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt