Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-yousuf-thomas-hunter-rtgwg-bb-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 10:45:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Chrysolite - a backbone bridging solution
	Author(s)	: M. Yousuf, M. Thomas, D. Hunter
	Filename	: draft-yousuf-thomas-hunter-rtgwg-bb-01.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2008-5-27
	
Chrysolite is a combination of differing technologies to create a 
   wide area BB (Backbone Bridging) architecture. Each Chrysolite switch 
   has a unique MAC address (C-MAC). A link state protocol provides 
   pairwise shortest paths between the C-MACs (one C-MAC per switch). 
   Each switch's C-MAC symbolically represents 2"24 Network N-MACs (with 
   each N-MAC representing one of the endpoints of a P2P VLAN. Using MAT 
   (MAC Address Translation) and setting the locally administered bit in 
   the Ethernet address, Router MAC addresses attached to an edge 
   Chrysolite switch are translated into the end-to-end N-MAC addresses 
   of the P2P circuit that they are attached to. MAT can also be 
   completely avoided by use of a single packet UNI explained below. ALL 
   of the P2P location information for a packet is located in a SINGLE 
   N-MAC address assigned to each end of the P2P VLAN 'circuits'. Using 
   this UNI or MAT backup means that no encapsulation or special headers 
   are required to provide pair-wise shortest paths between the 
   Chrysolite switches. Configuration is restricted to the single unique 
   C-MAC required per Chrysolite switch, and the recording of unique 
   customer VLANs as they are required. VLANs with differing class of 
   service can be achieved by the use of multiple link state instances 
   and C-MACs on a single Chrysolite switch.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yousuf-thomas-hunter-rtgwg-bb-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt