Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 12:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Connection Reuse in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : R. Mahy, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-10.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2008-05-14

This document enables a pair of communicating proxies to reuse a
congestion-controlled connection between themselves for sending
requests in the forward and backwards direction.  Because the
connection is essentially aliased for requests going in the backwards
direction, reuse should be predicated upon both the communicating
endpoints authenticating themselves using X.509 certificates through
TLS.  For this reason, we only consider connection reuse for TLS over
TCP and TLS over SCTP.  A single connection should not be reused for
the TCP or SCTP transport between two peers, and this document
provides insight into why this is the case.  As a remedy, it suggests
using two TCP connections (or two SCTP associations), each opened
pro-actively towards the recipient by the sender.  Finally, this
document also provides guidelines on connection reuse and virtual SIP
servers and the interaction of connection reuse and DNS SRV lookups
in SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-connect-reuse-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt