Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bidirectional Forwarding Detection Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BFD For MPLS LSPs
	Author(s)       : R. Aggarwal, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-06.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-06-17

One desirable application of Bi-directional Forwarding Detection
(BFD) is to detect a Multi Protocol Label Switched (MPLS) Label
Switched Path (LSP) data plane failure. LSP-Ping is an existing
mechanism for detecting MPLS data plane failures and for verifying
the MPLS LSP data plane against the control plane. BFD can be used
for the former, but not for the latter. However the control plane
processing required for BFD control packets is relatively smaller
than the processing required for LSP-Ping messages. A combination of
LSP-Ping and BFD can be used to provide faster data plane failure
detection and/or make it possible to provide such detection on a
greater number of LSPs. This document describes the applicability of
BFD in relation to LSP-Ping for this application. It also describes
procedures for using BFD in this environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-bfd-mpls-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt