Subject: I-D Action:draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Requirements for Label Edge Router Forwarding of IPv4 Option Packets
	Author(s)       : W. Jaeger, et al.
	Filename        : draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2008-06-30

This document imposes a new requirement on Label Edge Routers (LER)
specifying that when determining whether to MPLS encapsulate an IP
packet, the determination is made independent of any IP options that
may be carried in the IP packet header.  Lack of a formal standard
may result in a different forwarding behavior for different IP
packets associated with the same prefix-based Forwarding Equivalence
Class (FEC).  While an IP packet with either a specific option type
or no header option may follow the MPLS label switched path (LSP)
associated with a prefix-based FEC, an IP packet with a different
option type but associated with the same prefix-based FEC may bypass
MPLS encapsulation and instead be IP routed downstream.  IP option
packets that inadvertently bypass MPLS encapsulation present an
increased security risk against the MPLS infrastructure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt