Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-motivation-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Licklider Transmission Protocol - Motivation
	Author(s)       : S. Burleigh, et al.
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-motivation-07.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2008-06-25

This document describes the motivation for the development of the
Licklider Transmission Protocol (LTP) designed to provide
retransmission-based reliability over links characterized by
extremely long message round-trip times (RTTs) and/or frequent
interruptions in connectivity.  Since communication across
interplanetary space is the most prominent example of this sort of
environment, LTP is principally aimed at supporting "long-haul"
reliable transmission in interplanetary space, but it has
applications in other environments as well.

In an Interplanetary Internet setting deploying the Bundle protocol,
LTP is intended to serve as a reliable convergence layer over single
hop deep-space RF links.  LTP does Atomatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ) of
data transmissions by soliciting selective-acknowledgment reception
reports.  It is stateful and has no negotiation or handshakes.

This document is a product of the Delay Tolerant Networking Research
Group and has been reviewed by that group.  No objections to its
publication as an RFC were raised.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-motivation-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt