Subject: I-D Action:draft-jabley-dnsop-missing-mname-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Indicating Non-Availability of Dynamic Updates in the DNS
	Author(s)       : J. Abley
	Filename        : draft-jabley-dnsop-missing-mname-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2008-06-27

The Start of Authority (SOA) Resource Record (RR) in the Domain Name
System (DNS) specifies various parameters related to the handling of
data in DNS zones.  These parameters are variously used by authority-
only servers, caching resolvers and DNS clients to guide them in the
way that data contained within particular zones should be used.

One particular field in the SOA RR is known as MNAME, which is used
to specify the "Primary Master" server for a zone.  This is the
server to which Dynamic Updates are sent by clients.  Many zones do
not accept updates using the Dynamic Update mechanism, and any such
DNS UPDATE messages which are received provide no usual purpose.  For
such zones it may be preferable not to receive updates from clients
at all.

This document proposes a convention by which a zone operator can
signal to clients that a particular zone does not accept Dynamic
Updates.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jabley-dnsop-missing-mname-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt