Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Licklider Transmission Protocol - Specification
	Author(s)       : M. Ramadas, et al.
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-10.txt
	Pages           : 56
	Date            : 2008-06-25

This document describes the Licklider Transmission Protocol (LTP),
designed to provide retransmission-based reliability over links
characterized by extremely long message round-trip times (RTTs)
and/or frequent interruptions in connectivity.  Since communication
across interplanetary space is the most prominent example of this
sort of environment, LTP is principally aimed at supporting "long-
haul" reliable transmission in interplanetary space, but it has
applications in other environments as well.

LTP does Automatic Repeat reQuest (ARQ) of data transmissions by
soliciting selective-acknowledgment reception reports.  It is
stateful, and has no negotiation or handshakes.

In an Interplanetary Internet setting deploying the Bundle protocol
that is being developed by the Delay Tolerant Networking Research
Group, LTP is intended to serve as a reliable "convergence layer"
protocol operating in pairwise fashion between adjacent
Interplanetary Internet nodes that are in direct RF communication.
In that operational scenario, and potentially in some other
deployments of the Bundle Protocol, LTP runs directly over a data-
link layer protocol; when this is the case, forward error correction
coding and/or checksum mechanisms in the underlying data-link layer
protocol must assure the integrity of the data passed between the
communicating entities.

Since no mechanisms for flow control or congestion control are
included in the design of LTP, this protocol is not intended or
appropriate for ubiquitous deployment in the global Internet.

When LTP is run over UDP, it must only be used for software
development or in private local area networks. When LTP is not run
over UDP, it must be run directly over a protocol, (nominally a link-
layer protocol), that meets the requirements specified in section 5.

This document is a product of the Delay Tolerant Networking Research
Group and has been reviewed by that group.  No objections to its
publication as an RFC were raised.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-ltp-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt