Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-trill-prob-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Problem and Applicability Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, R. Perlman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-trill-prob-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2008-06-16

Current Ethernet (802.1) link layers use custom routing protocols 
that have a number of challenges. These routing protocols need to 
strictly avoid loops, even temporary loops during route propagation, 

 because of the lack of header loop detection support. Routing tends 
not to take full advantage of alternate paths, or even non-
overlapping pairwise paths (in the case of spanning trees). The 
convergence of these routing protocols and stability under link 
changes and failures is also of concern. This document addresses 
these concerns and suggests that they are related to the need to be 
able to apply modern network layer routing protocols at the link 
layer. This document assumes that solutions would not address issues 
of scalability beyond that of existing bridged (802.1) links, but 
that a solution would be backward compatible with 802.1, including 
hubs, bridges, and their existing plug-and-play capabilities. 

This document is a work in progress; we invite you to participate on 
the mailing list at http://www.postel.org/rbridge

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-prob-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt