Subject: I-D Action:draft-schwartz-sipping-nsr-code-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : No Service To This Number Reject Code
	Author(s)       : D. Schwartz
	Filename        : draft-schwartz-sipping-nsr-code-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2008-06-23

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) allows for users to make calls
using telephone numbers embedded in either "sip" [RFC3261] or "tel"
[RFC3966] URIs.  Either way, the telephone number (TN) itself is not
restricted and can represent an entity in the public telephone
network, an entity in a private telephone network or an entity on the
Internet.  This TN resolution ambiguity highlights the difference
between the LUF and LRF functions defined in
[I-D.draft-ietf-speermint-terminology] and underscores the need for
more precise SIP error rejection codes.  SIP has no way to indicate
to the calling UAC that the reason for call rejection is due to the
fact that this number does not exist in the requested domain or realm
but it does exist in the public telephone network for instance.  Such
an indication is useful to allow the call to be retried at a
different context (i.e. the public PSTN in this case) with possibly
better results.  This specification defines a new SIP response code
for this purpose.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schwartz-sipping-nsr-code-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt