Subject: I-D Action:draft-drage-sipping-rfc3455bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Private Header (P-Header) Extensions to the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) for the 3rd-Generation Partnership Project (3GPP)
	Author(s)       : K. Drage
	Filename        : draft-drage-sipping-rfc3455bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2008-07-14

This document describes a set of private Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) headers (P-headers) used by the 3rd-Generation Partnership
Project (3GPP), along with their applicability, which is limited to
particular environments.  The P-headers are for a variety of purposes
within the networks that the partners use, including charging and
information about the networks a call traverses.1.  Overall Applicability

The SIP extensions specified in this document make certain
assumptions regarding network topology, linkage between SIP and lower
layers, and the availability of transitive trust.  These assumptions
are generally NOT APPLICABLE in the Internet as a whole.  The
mechanisms specified here were designed to satisfy the requirements
specified in the 3GPP Release 5 requirements on SIP [RFC4083] for
which either no general-purpose solution was planned, where
insufficient operational experience was available to understand if a
general solution is needed, or where a more general solution is not
yet mature.  For more details about the assumptions made about these
extensions, consult the Applicability subsection for each extension.2. 
Conventions

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].3.  Overview

The Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) has selected SIP as
the protocol used to establish and tear down multimedia sessions in
the context of its IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS).  (For more
information on the IMS, a detailed description can be found in 3GPP
TS 23.228 [23.228] and 3GPP TS 24.229 [24.229]). 3GPP notified the
IETF SIP and SIPPING working groups that existing SIP documents
provided almost all the functionality needed to satisfy the
requirements of the IMS, but that they required some additional
functionality in order to use SIP for this purpose.  These
requirements [RFC4083] are documented in an Internet Draft which was
submitted to the SIPPING Working Group.  Some of these requirements
are satisfied by chartered extensions, while other requirements were
applicable to SIP, but not sufficiently general for the SIP Working
Group to adopt.  This document describes private extensions to
address those requirements.  Each extension, or set of related
extensions is described in its own section below.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-drage-sipping-rfc3455bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt