Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Better-Than-Nothing Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Problem and Applicability Statement for Better Than Nothing Security (BTNS)
	Author(s)	: J. Touch, D. Black, Y. Wang
	Filename	: draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-07.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2008-7-8
	
The Internet network security protocol suite, IPsec, requires 
   authentication, usually of network layer entities, to enable access 
   control and provide security services. This authentication can be 
   based on mechanisms such as pre-shared symmetric keys, certificates 
   with associated asymmetric keys, or the use of Kerberos (via KINK). 
The need to deploy authentication information and its associated 
   identities can be a significant obstacle to the use of IPsec. 

   This document explains the rationale for extending the Internet 
   network security protocol suite to enable use of IPsec security 
   services without authentication. These extensions are intended to 
   protect communication, providing "better than nothing security" 
   (BTNS). The extensions may be used on their own (this use called 
   Stand Alone BTNS, or SAB), or may be used to provide network layer 
   security that can be authenticated by higher layers in the protocol 
   stack (this use is called Channel-Bound BTNS, or CBB). The document 
   also explains situations for which use of SAB and/or CBB extensions 
   are applicable.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-btns-prob-and-applic-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt