Subject: I-D Action:draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-reqs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Commercial Routing Requirements in Low Power and Lossy Networks
	Author(s)       : J. Martocci, et al.
	Filename        : draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-reqs-00.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2008-07-14

The ROLL Working Group was recently chartered by the IETF to define 
routing characteristics for low power embedded devices.  ROLL would like 
to serve the Industrial, Commercial, Home and Urban markets.  Pursuant to
this effort, this document defines the functional and cost requirements 
for installing integrated facility management systems in commercial 
facilities. 

The routing requirements for commercial building applications are 
presented in this document.  Commercial buildings have been fitted with 
pneumatic and subsequently electronic communication pathways connecting 

Martocci

Expires January 14, 2009

 [page  1]
 
Internet-Draft  draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-reqs
July 2008

sensors to their controllers for over one hundred years.  Recent economic
 
and technical advances in wireless communication allows facilities to 
increasingly utilize a wireless solution in lieu of a wired solution; 
thereby reducing installation costs yet maintaining highly reliant 
communication.  Wireless solutions will be adapted from their existing 
wired counterparts in many of the building applications including, but 
not limited to HVAC, lighting, security, fire, and elevator products.  
These devices will be developed to reduce installation costs; while 
increasing installation and retrofit flexibility.  Sensing devices may be
battery or mains powered.  Actuators and area controllers will be mains 
powered.

To meet the cost target, these devices must have a total installed cost 
below that of the traditional wired alternative; yet maintain reliability
on par with wired devices.  The total installed cost includes the 
infrastructure, product, installation, commissioning, labor and 
operational costs of the device over its 30 year lifespan. Except for 
special circumstances such as flexible installation (e.g. airports) or 
cosmetics (e.g. museums, there is nothing compelling about installing 
wireless solutions inside a building unless it can be accomplished below 
the cost of a wired installation.  This document will define the 
requirements necessary for wireless technology to displace wired 
infrastructure and meet this objective.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-martocci-roll-commercial-routing-reqs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt