Subject: I-D Action:draft-ananth-tsvwg-timewait-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 23:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Effects of port randomization with TCP TIME-WAIT state.
	Author(s)       : A. Ramaiah, P. Tate
	Filename        : draft-ananth-tsvwg-timewait-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2008-07-06

Source port randomization has been suggested to provide improved
security and obfuscation which helps in adding robustness towards
blind attacks.  With TCP in practice, simply producing a random port
as the source port for a new connection can lead to problems when a
TCP client establishes connections to a TCP server at a high rate.
If the same source port value is chosen twice, the client TCP
connection can fail due to the server having the Transmission Control
Block (TCB) for this tuple lingering in TIME-WAIT state.

This memo discusses the ramifications of such source port reuse
scenarios and suggests some mitigations to avoid the same.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ananth-tsvwg-timewait-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt