Subject: I-D Action:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 17:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem Statement: Transport Protocols Don't Have To Do Fairness
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2008-07-14

The Internet is an amazing achievement - any of the thousand million
hosts can freely use any of the resources anywhere on the public
network.  At least that was the original theory.  Recently issues
with how these resources are shared among these hosts have come to
the fore.  Applications are innocently exploring the limits of
protocol design to get larger shares of available bandwidth.
Increasingly we are seeing ISPs imposing restrictions on heavier
usage in order to try to preserve the level of service they can offer
to lighter customers.  We believe that these are symptoms of an
underlying problem: fair resource sharing is an issue that can only
be resolved at run-time, but for years attempts have been made to
solve it at design time.  In this document we show that fairness is
not the preserve of transport protocols, rather the design of such
protocols should be such that fairness can be controlled between
users and ISPs at run-time.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-relax-fairness-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt