Subject: I-D Action:draft-lapuh-network-smlt-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Split Multi-link Trunking (SMLT)
	Author(s)       : R. Lapuh, et al.
	Filename        : draft-lapuh-network-smlt-08.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2008-07-08

This document describes Split Multi-link Trunking (SMLT) for bridged
and routed networks. SMLT enables topologies with upstream node
redundancy for increased reliability of Layer 2 link
aggregationsubnetworks based on [IEEE 802.3ad] and router redundancy based
on
VRRP [RFC3768].

SMLT is an improvement over Multi-Link Trunking (MLT), a method of
link aggregation that allows multiple Ethernet links to be aggregated
together, and handled as a single logical trunk. MLT can be realized
via many different link aggregation mechanisms. Several methods of
MLT are in use today; one example is [IEEE 802.3ad].

SMLT is MLT with links of a link-aggregation group connected to ports
on two different devices (e.g. SMLT client and aggregation device).
Unlike MLT, at least one end of a link-aggregated group is dual-homed
to two different SMLT aggregation devices. In many cases those
devices act as bridges (switches) as well as L3 routers (Routing
Switches). These two redundant SMLT aggregation devices can share one
or more VRRP routing instances; for that SMLT-VRRP extends the VRRP
functionality to an active-active router concept, where both SMLT
aggregation device route traffic for a common VRRP-ID, thus load
balancing traffic not only for L2 but also for L3.

Conventions used in this document

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lapuh-network-smlt-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt