Subject: I-D Action:draft-chakravorty-6lsa-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Label Switching Architecture
	Author(s)       : S. Chakravorty, et al.
	Filename        : draft-chakravorty-6lsa-03.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2008-07-09

This specification provides an architectural framework, called IPv6
Label Switching Architecture or 6LSA, for an end-to-end, IP-centric
packet transmission technique that uses the IPv6 packet header Flow
Label to establish IPv6-based label switched paths.  The label
switched paths, called 6LSPs, provide application and user specified
routes for efficient transport of packets and as means for quality of
service (QoS) delivery, IPv4 tunneling, VPN and other mechanisms.
Through look-ups of 20-bit labels instead of 128-bit IPv6 addresses,
the architecture may provide potential memory and processing savings,
the latter through significantly reduced address fetches for the low-
powered, handheld devices.  The label has two components comprising
Global Label value and Local Label value.  The Global Label value
from the source is delivered to the destination unmodified.  However,
the intermediate network nodes in 6LSA are allowed to temporarily
replace the Local Label value with a value of local significance.
This enables 6LSA flows to be hop-specific although session-based and
as such a unique QoS delivery technique for bandwidth constrained
media. 6LSA also enhances security since label generation and
assignment algorithms can be modified periodically.

Finally, it must be pointed out that the 6LSA concept of temporary
flow label assignment is applicable to the 6LSA domain only.  The
concept is not applicable to domains outside the 6LSA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakravorty-6lsa-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt