Subject: I-D Action:draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 06:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TCP Flow Control for Fast Startup Schemes
	Author(s)       : M. Scharf, et al.
	Filename        : draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-07-07

This document describes extensions for the flow control of the
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) that avoid interactions with fast
startup congestion control mechanisms, in particular the Quick-Start
TCP extension.  Quick-Start is an optional TCP extension that allows
to start data transfers with a large congestion window, using
feedback of the routers along the path.  This can avoid the time
consuming Slow-Start, provided that the TCP flow control is not a
limiting factor.
There are two potential interactions between the TCP flow control and
congestion control schemes without the standard Slow-Start: First,
receivers might not allocate a sufficiently large buffer space after
connection setup, or they may advertise a receive window implicitly
assuming the Slow-Start behavior on the sender side.  This document
therefore provides guidelines for buffer allocation in hosts
supporting the Quick-Start extension.  Second, the TCP receive window
scaling mechanism can prevent fast startups immediately after the
initial three-way handshake connection setup.  This document
describes a simple solution to overcome this problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt