Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-whittle-ivip-arch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) Architecture
	Author(s)	: R. Whittle
	Filename	: draft-whittle-ivip-arch-02.txt
	Pages		: 109
	Date		: 2008-8-19
	
Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) is a proposed global system
   of routers and either collection of databases which control the
   tunneling of some of these routers.  Database changes affect all
   Ingress Tunnel Routers (ITRs) within a few seconds, controlling which
   Egress Tunnel Router (ETR) they tunnel each packet to, depending on
   the packet's destination address.  The ETR used by a host with an
   Ivip-mapped address is typically located in the same network as this
   destination host.  The ETR decapsulates packets and forwards them to
   the destination host.  A second type of ETR known as a Translating
   Tunnel Router (TTR) is used for mobile-IP, with the mobile node
   creating two-way tunnels to one or more nearby TTRs.  Ivip enables a
   subset of IPv4 and IPv6 address space to be portable (used via any
   ISP which has an ETR) and to be suitable for multihoming (connection
   to the Net via two or more ISPs) - without involving BGP and without
   requiring any changes to host operating systems or applications.
   This is a form of "locator-ID separation" and is based on some
   principles derived from LISP (Locator/ID Separation Protocol).  IP
   addresses in the subset of address space which is subject to being
   tunneled by ITRs are known as Destination Identifiers (DIDs).  ITRs
   and ETRs are located on ordinary BGP Reachable IP (BRIP) addresses.
   The databases and ITRs map DID addresses to an ETR's BRIP address
   with a granularity of a single IPv4 address or a /64 prefix for IPv6.
   These two granularities are 256 and 64k times finer than is typically
   possible with BGP.  This proposal is intended to resolve many of the
   problems discussed in the October 2006 Amsterdam IAB Routing and
   Addressing Workshop (RAWS).  Ivip's primary goals include the more
   efficient utilisation of IPv4 space and enabling millions of end-
   users to achieve portability and multihoming without involving BGP,
   without fuelling the growth of the global BGP routing table, and
   without requiring these end users to have ASNs or to acquire
   conventional prefixes of PI (Provider Independent) BGP reachable
   address space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt