Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-manral-idr-mpls-explicit-null-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Connecting IPv6 Islands over IPv4 MPLS networks using IPv6 Provider Edge Routers (6PE-Alt)
	Author(s)	: V. Manral
	Filename	: draft-manral-idr-mpls-explicit-null-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2008-9-4
	
This document provides an alternate mechanism to [6PE] to interconnect 
   IPv6 routes over MPLS-enabled IPv4clouds. This approach
   relies on IPv6 Provider Edge routers (6PE-Alt) which are Dual Stack in
   order to connect to IPv6 islands and to the MPLS core which is only
   required to run IPv4 MPLS and run the mechanism as described in this 
   document.  The 6PE-Alt routers exchange the IPv6 reachability 
   information transparently over the core using the Multi-Protocol 
   Border Gateway Protocol (MP-BGP) over IPv4 or IPv6.  In doing so,
   the BGP Next Hop field is used to convey the IPv4 address of the 6PE-Alt
   router so that dynamically established IPv4-signaled MPLS Label
   Switched Paths (LSPs) can be used without explicit tunnel
   configuration. Unlike [6PE] case the labels are not sent with each route
   and does not use BGP to transport labels [RFC3107]. It instead makes use
   of the IPv6 Explicit NULL label as the VPN label, which is defined 
   [RFC3032] and updated in [RFC4182]. 

   This document elegantly uses the concept of non overlapping IPv6 routes to
   provide BGP MPLS IP VPN functionality. The document can be further used for 
   provinding the functionality in case of non-overlapping IPv6 routes.

   This approach allows a functionality similar to [RFC4659], without the 
   cumbursome extensions required for the same. With the [RFC3879] IPv6 addresses
   are now globally unique (except for Link local). It also reduces the number 
   of multi AS scenarios.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-manral-idr-mpls-explicit-null-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt