Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-trill-prob-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Problem and Applicability Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, R. Perlman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-trill-prob-05.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2008-09-29

Current Ethernet (802.1) link layers use spanning tree protocols that 
have a number of challenges. These protocols need to strictly avoid 
loops, even temporary ones, during route propagation, because of the 
lack of header loop detection support. Routing tends not to take full 
advantage of alternate paths, or even non-overlapping pairwise paths 
(in the case of spanning trees). This document addresses these 
concerns and suggests that they can be addressed by applying modern 

 network layer routing protocols at the link layer. This document 
assumes that solutions would not address issues of scalability beyond 
that of existing bridged (802.1) links, but that a solution would be 
backward compatible with 802.1, including hubs, bridges, and their 
existing plug-and-play capabilities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-prob-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt