Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Checksum Ciphersuites for the Bundle Protocol
	Author(s)       : W. Eddy, et al.
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-03.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2008-10-31

The Delay-Tolerant Networking Bundle Protocol includes a custody
transfer mechanism to provide acknowledgements of receipt for
particular bundles.  No checksum is included in the basic DTN Bundle
Protocol, however, so at intermediate hops, it is not possible to
verify that bundles have been either forwarded or passed through
convergence layers without error.  Without assurance that a bundle
has been received without errors, the custody transfer receipt cannot
guarantee that a correct copy of the bundle has been transferred.
This document attempts to address the situation by defining new
ciphersuites for use within the existing Bundle Security Protocol's
Payload Integrity Block (formerly called the Payload Security Block)
to provide error-detection functions regardless of an
implementation's support for other, more complex, security-providing
ciphersuites.  This creates the checksum service needed for error-
free reliability, but does so at the expense of divorcing security
concerns from the few new reliability-only ciphersuite definitions
that are introduced here.  This document lengthily discusses the pros
and cons of this approach and the existing constraints that combined
to drive this design.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt