Subject: I-D Action:draft-yao-mip4-mobile-agent-proxy-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 00:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Mobile Agent Discovery Proxy (MADP) in IPv4 Mobility Management
	Author(s)       : C. Yao, B. Mongazon-Cazavet
	Filename        : draft-yao-mip4-mobile-agent-proxy-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2008-10-27

In some networks such as xDSL networks with WiFi extension, the
periodical transmission of Agent Advertisements (AA) by mobility 
agents is used by Mobile Nodes (MN) to detect movement. To allow fast
movement detection, the interval at which AAs are sent should not be
long. In the early deployment of Mobile IPv4 (MIPv4), mobility agents
are deployed in the edge network. For example, in xDSL networks, Home
Agents (HA) and Foreign Agents (FA) are located on or beside Edge
Routers (ER) that usually serves thousands of MNs (typically between
2000 and 5000 in xDSL networks). The periodical transmission of
multicast AA to MNs in such a large network consumes a significant
amount of the aggregation network bandwidth and CPU resources of ERs.

This is a practical problem in xDSL networks with WiFi extension. 
This is also a common problem for others access networks in which a 
large layer-2 network is served by one router.  Hence a Mobility 
Agent Discovery proxy (MADP) can be set in access nodes to make the 
MNs detect movement fast meanwhile avoiding CPU and network bandwidth
consumption in the aggregation network. The MADP acts as a proxy to
MNs as far as agent discovery is concerned allowing for AS issued by
MNs to be locally replied according to AA issued by HA/FA on the
access network. MADP is a logical function that can be placed on a
suitable node location depending on access network technology and
architecture (i.e. WiMAX) to reduce network resource cost related to
agent discovery.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yao-mip4-mobile-agent-proxy-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt