Subject: I-D Action:draft-baker-behave-v4v6-translation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 07:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm
	Author(s)       : X. Li, et al.
	Filename        : draft-baker-behave-v4v6-translation-00.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2008-10-26

This document specifies an update to the Stateless IP/ICMP
Translation Algorithm (SIIT) described in RFC 2765.  The algorithm
translates between IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers (including ICMP
headers).

This specification addresses both a stateful and a stateless mode.
In the stateful mode, translation state is maintained between IPv4
address/transport/port tuples and IPv6 address/transport/port tuples,
enabling IPv6 systems to open sessions with IPv4 systems.  In the
stateless mode, translation information is carried in the address
itself, permitting both IPv4->IPv6 and IPv6->IPv4 session
establishment with neither state nor configuration in the translator.
The choice of operational mode is made by the operator deploying the
network and is critical to the operation of the applications using
it.

Significant issues exist in the stateful mode that are not addressed
in this document, related to the maintenance of the translation
tables.  This document confines itself to the actual translation.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is a product of the 2008-2009 effort to define a
replacement for NAT-PT.  It is an update to and directly derivative
from Erik Nordmark's [RFC2765], which similarly provides both
stateless and stateful translation between IPv4 [RFC0791] and IPv6
[RFC2460], and between ICMPv4 [RFC0792] and ICMPv6 [RFC4443].  The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.  Some
text had been extracted from an old Internet Draft titled "IPAE: The
SIPP Interoperability and Transition Mechanism" authored by R.
Gilligan, E. Nordmark, and B. Hinden.

The changes in this document reflect five components:

1.  Updating references

2.  Redescribing the network model to map to present and projected

 usage

3.  Moving the address format to the framework document, to

 coordinate with other drafts on the topic

4.  Some changes in ICMP.

5.  Description of both stateful and stateless operation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-behave-v4v6-translation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt