Subject: I-D Action:draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Mapped BGP Design
	Author(s)       : P. Francis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design-00.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2008-10-26

This draft introduces Mapped-BGP, a routing protocol that uses BGP to
distributed tunnel endpoint-to-prefix mappings.  The goal of this
draft are to present preliminary concepts and get feedback.  It is
not meant to be a fully-formed proposal.  The goals of Mapped-BGP
are: 1) to reduce the processing required to run BGP, 2) to speed up
inter-domain convergence, 3) to improve the cross-ISP load balancing
capabilities of BGP, and where possible, 4) to enable forms of
address aggregation like geographical addressing (i.e. for IPv6).
Improved address aggregation is unlikely to be very useful for IPv4,
because most addresses have already been assigned.  This design takes
the position that Mapped BGP is useful even without better
aggregation, because 1) FIB size can be reduced through FIB
suppression with Virtual Aggregation, and 2) RIB size per se is not
the growth bottleneck.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-francis-mapped-bgp-design-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt