Subject: I-D Action:draft-blake-ipv6-flow-label-nonce-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Use of the IPv6 Flow Label as a Transport-Layer Nonce to Defend Against Off-Path Spoofing Attacks
	Author(s)       : S. Blake
	Filename        : draft-blake-ipv6-flow-label-nonce-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2008-11-03

TCP and other transport-layer protocols are vulnerable to spoofing
attacks from off-path hosts.  These attacks can be prevented through
the use of cryptographic authentication.  However, it is difficult to
use cryptographic authentication in all circumstances.  A variety of
obfuscation techniques -- such as initial sequence number
randomization and source port randomization -- increase the effort
required of an attacker to successfully guess the packet header
fields which uniquely identify a transport connection.  This memo
proposes the use of the IPv6 Flow Label field as a random, per-
connection nonce value, to add entropy to the set of packet header
fields used to identify a transport connection.  This mechanism is
easily implementable, allows for incremental deployment, and is fully
compliant with the rules for Flow Label use defined in RFC 3697.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-blake-ipv6-flow-label-nonce-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt