Subject: I-D Action:draft-gellens-pop-mangle-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Qpopper MIME Mangling and Macro Extensions to POP3
	Author(s)       : R. Gellens
	Filename        : draft-gellens-pop-mangle-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2008-11-17

This document describes two extensions to the POP protocol that have
 been supported for several years by some client and servers.  One
 extension, MANGLE, allows clients to request that MIME body parts be
 removed or converted to a simpler format, that only selected headers
 be transmitted, and/or for the message to be transcoded to a
 different character set.  The other extension, MACRO, allows clients
 to define macros which are expanded when used, saving repetitive
 transmissions.
 
 The MANGLE extension has been useful in at least two situations: it
 allows clients on constrained devices to avoid downloading body
 parts which cannot be used on the device, and clients which use the
 TOP command to "peek" at messages can have the preview transformed
 into more usable content, as well as avoiding the transmission of
 undesired headers.  The MACRO extension has been especially useful
 in conjunction with MANGLE, since a MANGLE request can become
 relatively lengthy.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-pop-mangle-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt