Subject: I-D Action:draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extensible Supply-chain Discovery Service Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : 
	Filename        : draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-03.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2008-11-17

This document discusses the requirements of an application layer
protocol for Discovery Services.  Discovery Services at its core
offers to authenticated and authorized users the means to discover
resources of information for a particular identifier.  The
information resource can be any data source which provides an
interface on a network that allows for retrieval of the data.  An
information resource could publish its network address (reference to
the resource) to a Discovery Service coupled with an identifier.
Then an authenticated and authorized user could query the Discovery
Service with the same identifier to receive reference information to
the resources.  Interfacing with the resources for actually
retrieving the data is out of scope of Discovery Services; the role
of Discovery Services is to enable a client to find the network
addresses and types (e.g.  URLs) of information resources for a
particular identifier of interest.

This protocol is applicable to numerous scenarios such as track and
trace in trade supply chains, where a number of independent resources
may hold information about a particular object and may have an
interest in selective sharing of that information, in order to
improve the efficiency of the supply chain network.

However, other applications can be envisaged, as a 'bottom-up' or
'grassroots' way for generators of information content to: 1) declare
that they have information or commentary on a particular topic or
subject (which might be a physical object, geographic location or
even an abstract concept) 2) specify a network address through which
that content can be retrieved, 3) specify restrictions about the
community of clients that are entitled to receive knowledge about the
existence of their content or see the link.  This approach can be
contrasted with the top-down approach of existing web search engines
that rely on crawling/spidering of content that must be already
posted in the public domain before it can be indexed - and where the
link information is generally made publicly available in a manner
that does not discriminate between clients on an individual basis.

This document outlines a set of design concerns that an application
layer protocol needs to address in order to be widely adopted and
deployable on public networks

This document obsoletes "Extensible Supply-chain Discovery Service
Problem Statement draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-02".

Comments are solicited and should be addressed to the mailing list at
[email-masked] and/or the author(s).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rezafard-esds-problem-statement-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt