Subject: I-D Action:draft-marocco-alto-problem-statement-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : E. Marocco, V. Gurbani
	Filename        : draft-marocco-alto-problem-statement-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-11-02

A significant part of the Internet traffic today is generated by
peer-to-peer applications used, for example, for file sharing,
realtime communications and live media streaming.  Such applications
often deal with large amounts of data in direct peer-to-peer
connections, but they usually have little knowledge of the underlying
network topology.  As a result, they may choose their peers based on
measurements and statistics which, in some situations, may lead to
suboptimal choices.  This document describes problem related to
optimizing traffic generated by peer-to-peer applications through the
use of network-layer information, provides a representative set of
use cases that may exhibit this problem, and outlines considerations
that have to be taken in account when arriving at equitable
solutions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-marocco-alto-problem-statement-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt