Subject: I-D Action:draft-penno-tana-app-practices-recommendation-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TANA Practices and Recommendations
	Author(s)       : R. Penno, J. Iyengar
	Filename        : draft-penno-tana-app-practices-recommendation-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2008-11-03

Applications routinely open multiple TCP connections.  For example, 
P2P applications maintain connections to a number of different peers 
while web browsers perform concurrent download from the same web 
server.  Application designers pursue different goals when doing so:  

 P2P apps need to maintain a well-connected mesh in the swarm while 
web browsers mainly use multiple connections to parallelize requests 
that involve application latency on the web server side.  But this 
practice also has impacts to the host and the network as a whole. For 
example, an application can obtain a larger fraction of the 
bottleneck than if it had used fewer connections. Although capacity 
is the most commonly considered bottleneck resource, middlebox state 
table entries are also an important resource for an end system 
communication.  

This documents clarifies the current practices of application design 
and reasons behind them, and discusses the tradeoffs surrounding the 
use of many concurrent TCP connections to one destination and/or to 
different destinations. Other resource types may exist, and the 
guidelines are expected to comprehensively discuss them.  

Conventions used in this document 

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 Error! 
Reference source not found..

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-tana-app-practices-recommendation-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt