Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The TCP Authentication Option
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-02.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2008-11-03

This document specifies the TCP Authentication Option (TCP-AO), which 
obsoletes the TCP MD5 Signature option of RFC-2385 (TCP MD5). TCP-AO 
specifies the use of stronger Message Authentication Codes (MACs), 
protects against replays even for long-lived TCP connections, and 
provides more details on the association of security with TCP 
connections than TCP MD5. TCP-AO is compatible with either static 

 keying or an external, out-of-band key management mechanism; in 
either case, TCP-AO also protects connections when using the same key 
across repeated instances of a connection. The result is intended to 
support current infrastructure uses of TCP MD5, such as to protect 
long-lived connections (as used, e.g., in BGP and LDP), and to 
support a larger set of MACs with minimal other system and 
operational changes. TCP-AO uses its own option identifier, even 
though used mutually exclusive of TCP MD5 on a given TCP connection. 
TCP-AO supports IPv6, and is fully compatible with the requirements 
for the replacement of TCP MD5.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-tcp-auth-opt-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt