Subject: I-D Action:draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Simple SIP Usage Scenario for Applications in the Endpoints
	Author(s)       : H. Sinnreich, et al.
	Filename        : draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-04.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2008-11-21

For Internet-centric usage, the number of SIP related standards for 
presence, IM and audio/video communications can be drastically 
reduced by using only the rendezvous and session initiation 
capabilities of SIP. The simplification is based on avoiding 
emulating telephony and its model of the intelligent network. Simple 
SIP by contrast relies on powerful computing endpoints. Simple SIP 
desktop applications for example can be combined with rich Internet 
applications (RIA). However, significant telephony features may also 
be implemented in the endpoints.  

This approach for SIP reduces the number of SIP standards to comply 
with, currently from roughly 100 and still growing, to about 10.  

References for NAT traversal and for security are also provided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-sip-tools-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt