Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 04:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : RTP Payload Format for SVC Video
	Author(s)       : S. Wenger, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-16.txt
	Pages           : 103
	Date            : 2008-12-16

This memo describes an RTP payload format for Scalable Video Coding 
(SVC) as defined in_Annex G of ITU-T Recommendation H.264, which is 
technically identical to Amendment 3 of ISO/IEC International 
Standard 14496-10.  The RTP payload format allows for packetization 
of one or more Network Abstraction Layer (NAL) units in each RTP 
packet payload, as well as fragmentation of a NAL unit in multiple 
RTP packets.  Furthermore, it supports transmission of an SVC stream 
over a single as well as multiple RTP sessions.  For single-session 
transmission the packetization modes of [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-
rfc3984bis] are used.  For multi-session transmission four different 
modes are defined in this memo.  The modes differ depending on 
whether the SVC data are allowed to be interleaved, i.e., to be 
transmitted in an order different than the intended decoding order, 
and they also differ in the mechanisms provided in order to recover 
the correct decoding order of the NAL units across the multiple RTP 
sessions.  Specifically, decoding order recovery is performed using 
either timestamp alignment or Cross-Session Decoding Order Numbers 
(CS-DON), although in one of the modes both schemes are used in 
order to allow receivers to use their preferred method.  The multi-
session transmission modes use the packetization modes defined in 
[I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis] as each individual session still uses 
a packetization mode defined in [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis].  The 
packetization modes defined in [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis] are 
slightly extended such that the three new NAL unit types defined in 
this memo can be included in the RTP packet streams.  The payload 
format defines a new media subtype name "H264-SVC", but is still 
backwards compatible to [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis] since the base 
layer, when encapsulated in its own RTP stream, must use the H.264 
media subtype name ("H264") and the packetization method specified 
in [I-D.ietf-avt-rtp-rfc3984bis].  The payload format has wide 
applicability in videoconferencing, Internet video streaming, and 
high bit-rate entertainment-quality video, among others.  

Table of Contents 

Status of this Memo...............................................1 
Copyright Notice..................................................1 
Abstract..........................................................2

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-svc-16.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt