Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using Self-Delimiting Numeric Values in Protocols
	Author(s)       : W. Eddy
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-01.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2009-01-09

Self-Delimiting Numeric Values (SDNVs) have recently been introduced
as a field type within proposed Delay-Tolerant Networking protocols.
The basic goal of an SDNV is to hold a non-negative integer value of
arbitrary magnitude, without consuming much more space than
necessary.  The primary motivation is to conserve the bits sent
across low-capacity or energy-intensive links typical of NASA deep-
space missions, with a secondary goal of allowing the protocol to
automatically adjust to unforseen usage scenarios.  This can be
desirable in that it allows protocol designers to avoid making
difficult and potentially erroneous engineering decisions that may
have to be hacked around in the future.  This document describes
formats and algorithms for SDNV encoding and decoding, and discusses
implementation and usage of SDNVs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-sdnv-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt