Subject: I-D Action:draft-ymbk-aplusp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The A+P Approach to the IPv4 Address Shortage
	Author(s)       : O. Maennel, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ymbk-aplusp-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2009-01-30

We are facing the exhaustion of the IANA IPv4 free IP address pool.
Unfortunately, IPv6 is not yet deployed widely enough to fully
replace IPv4, and it is unrealistic to expect that this is going to
change before we run out of IPv4 addresses.  Letting hosts seamlessly
communicate in an IPv4-world without assigning a unique globally
routable IPv4 address to each of them is a challenging problem.  This
draft discusses the possibility address sharing by treating some of
the port number bits as part of an extended IPv4 address (Address
plus Port, or A+P).  Instead of assigning a single IPv4 address to a
device, we propose to extended the address by "stealing" bits from
the port number in the TCP/UDP header, leaving the applications a
reduced range of ports.  This means assigning the same IP to
different clients (e.g., CPE's, mobile phones), each with its port-
range.  In the face of IPv4 address exhaustion, the need for
addresses is stronger than the need to be able to address thousands
of applications on a single host.

This document discusses overall constraints that apply to address
sharing proposals.  [I-D.levis-behave-ipv4-shortage-framework] gives
an overview over the solution space and questions that need to be
addressed, while [I-D.durand-softwire-dual-stack-lite],
[I-D.boucadair-port-range], [I-D.boucadair-dhc-port-range],
[I-D.bajko-v6ops-port-restricted-ipaddr-assign], suggest various ways
of overcoming the problems of shared addresses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-aplusp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt