Subject: I-D Action:draft-perkins-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Rapid Synchronisation of RTP Flows
	Author(s)       : C. Perkins
	Filename        : draft-perkins-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2009-01-15

This memo outlines how RTP multimedia sessions are synchronised, and
discusses how rapidly such synchronisation can occur.  We show that
most RTP sessions can be synchronised immediately, but that the use
of video switching MCUs or large multicast (SSM) groups can greatly
increase the initial synchronisation delay.  This increased delay can
be unacceptable to some applications that use layered and/or multi-
description codecs.

This memo changes to the RTCP timing rules to reduce the initial
synchronisation delay for SSM sessions.  A new RTP/AVPF feedback
packet is defined to allow video switching MCUs to request rapid
resynchronisation, and a new RTP header extension is defined to
support rapid synchronisation for late joiners.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-perkins-avt-rapid-rtp-sync-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt