Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Port Restricted IP Address Assignment 
	Author(s)	: G. Bajko, T. Savolainen, M. Boucadair, P. Levis
	Filename	: draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 2009-2-3
	
   When IPv6 was designed, the assumption was that the transition from 
   IPv4 to IPv6 will occur way before the exhaustion of the available    IPv4 address pool. The unexpected growth of the IPv4 Internet and 
   the hesitation and technical difficulties to deploy IPv6 indicates 
   that the transition may take much longer than originally 
   anticipated. 
   It is expected that communication using IPv6 addresses will increase 
   during the next few years to come at the expense of communication 
   using IPv4 addresses. The Internet should reach a safety point in 
   the future, where the number of IPv4 public addresses in use at a 
   given time begins decreasing. It is very likely that the IPv4 public 
   address pool currently available at IANA will be exhausted before 
   the internet reaches this safety point. This creates a need to 
   prolong the lifetime of the available IPv4 addresses. 
    
   This document defines methods to allocate the same IPv4 address to 
   multiple hosts, with the aim to prolong the availability of public 
   IPv4 addresses, possibly for as long as it takes for IPv6 to take 
   over the demand for IPv4. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.