Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Mobile IPv6 Fast Handovers
	Author(s)       : R. Koodli
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2009-02-14

Mobile IPv6 enables a Mobile Node (MN) to maintain its connectivity
to the Internet when moving from one Access Router to another, a
process referred to as handover.  During handover, there is a period
during which the Mobile Node is unable to send or receive packets
because of link switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This
"handover latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures,
namely movement detection, new Care-of Address configuration, and
Binding Update, is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as
Voice over IP (VoIP).  Reducing the handover latency could be
beneficial to non-real-time, throughput-sensitive applications as
well.  This document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency
due to Mobile IPv6 procedures.  This document does not address
improving the link switching latency.

This documents updates the packet formats for the Handover Initiate
(HI) and Handover Acknowledgement (HAck) messages to Mobility Header
Type.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.