Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-softwire-encaps-safi-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 19:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : BGP Encapsulation SAFI and BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute
	Author(s)       : P. Mohapatra, E. Rosen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-softwire-encaps-safi-05.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-02-04

In certain situations, transporting a packet from one Border Gateway
Protocol (BGP) speaker to another, the BGP next hop, requires that
the packet be encapsulated by the first BGP speaker and decapsulated
by the second. To support these situations, there needs to be some
agreement between the two BGP speakers with regard to the
"encapsulation information", i.e., the format of the encapsulation
header as well as the contents of various fields of the header.

The encapsulation information need not be signaled for all
encapsulation types. In the cases where the signaling is required
(such as Layer Two Tunneling Protocol - Version 3 (L2TPv3), Generic
Routing Encapsulation (GRE) with key), this draft specifies a method
by which BGP speakers can signal encapsulation information to each
other. The signaling is done by sending BGP updates using the
"Encapsulation Subsequent Address Family Identifier (SAFI)" and IPv4
or IPv6 Address Family Identifier (AFI). In the cases where no
encapsulation information needs to be signaled (such as GRE without
key), this draft specifies a BGP extended community that can be
attached to BGP UPDATE messages that carry payload prefixes to
indicate the encapsulation protocol type to be used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-softwire-encaps-safi-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.