Subject: I-D Action:draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Advice on When It is Safe to Start Sending Data on Label Switched Paths Established Using RSVP-TE
	Author(s)       : K. Shiomoto, A. Farrel
	Filename        : draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-02-24

The Resource Reservation Protocol (RSVP) has been extended to support
Traffic Engineering (TE) in Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and
Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks. The protocol enables signaling
exchanges to establish Label Switched Paths (LSPs) that traverse
nodes and links to provide end-to-end data paths. Each node is
programmed with "cross-connect" information as the signaling messages
are processed. The cross-connection information instructs the node
how to forward data that it receives.

End points of the LSP need to know when it is safe to start sending
data so that it is not misdelivered and so that safety issues
specific to the data plane technology are satisfied. Likewise, all
label switching routers along the path of the LSP need to know when
to programme their data planes relative to sending control plane
messages.
This document clarifies and summarises the RSVP-TE protocol exchanges
with relation to the programming of cross-connects along an LSP for
both unidireciotnal and bidirecitonal LSPs. This document does not
define any new procedures or protocol extensions, and defers
completely to the documents that normative references. The
clarifications set out in this document may also be used to help
interpret LSP establishment performance figures for MPLS-TE and GMPLS
devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shiomoto-ccamp-switch-programming-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.