Subject: I-D Action:draft-masinter-dated-uri-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : "duri" and "tdb" URN namespaces based on dated URIs
	Author(s)       : L. Masinter
	Filename        : draft-masinter-dated-uri-05.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2009-02-03

This document defines two namespaces of URNs, based on using a
timestamp with an (encoded) URI.  The results are namespaces in which
names are readily assigned, offer the persistence of reference that
is required by URNs, but do not require a stable authority to assign
the name.  The first namespace ("duri") is used to refer to URI-
identified resources as they appeared at a particular time.  The
second namespace ("tdb") is useful as a way of creating URNs that
refer to physical objects or even abstractions that are not
themselves networked resources.

The definition of these namespaces may reduce the need to define new
URN namespaces merely for the purpose of creating stable identifiers.
In addition, they provide a ready means for identifying "non-
information resources" by semantic indirection.

Note

This document is not a product of any working group.  Many of the
ideas here have been discussed since 2001.  This document has been
discussed on the mailing list <[email-masked]>.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.