Subject: I-D Action:draft-cole-netconf-robust-config-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Robust Configuration Management within NETCONF
	Author(s)       : R. Cole, D. Romascanu
	Filename        : draft-cole-netconf-robust-config-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-02-26

The IETF has developed a new configuration management protocol,
NETCONF.  NETCONF has defined a capability called ':confirmed-commit'
which allows a management application time to build confidence in
desired configuration changes prior to the managed device committing
to the changes.  However, NETCONF does not define methods to build
this confidence in configuration changes, nor does it afford the
remote managed device the opportunity to actively participate in the
test and evaluation phase of the ':confirmed-commit' capability.  We
believe that this capability should be further developed to afford
network management applications and managed devices a more robust and
resilient configuration management capability, which is of value to
commercial enterprise and public networks as well as wireless
emergency and military networks.  We explore the alternatives for
enhancing this capability within the context of the existing NETCONF
protocol, the YANG modeling language and existing related IETF
standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cole-netconf-robust-config-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.