Subject: I-D Action:draft-scholl-idr-advisory-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : BGP Advisory Message
	Author(s)       : T. Scholl, J. Scudder
	Filename        : draft-scholl-idr-advisory-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2009-03-04

The BGP routing protocol is used with external as well as internal
neighbors to propagate route advertisements.  In the case of external
BGP sessions, there is typically a demarcation of administrative
responsibility between the two entities.  Provisioning, maintenance
and administrative actions are communicated via off-line methods such
as email or telephone calls.  While these methods have been used for
many years, it can be troublesome for an operator to correlate a BGP-
related event in the network with a notice that was transmitted in
email.

This document proposes a new BGP message type, the Advisory message,
which can be used to convey advisory information to a BGP speaker's
peer.  A capability is used to ensure that the recipient of the
Advisory message is capable of supporting it.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scholl-idr-advisory-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.