Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-newman-auth-scram-gs2-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM) as a GSS-API Mechanism
	Author(s)	: A. Menon-Sen, A. Melnikov, C. Newman
	Filename	: draft-newman-auth-scram-gs2-01.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2009-3-9
	
The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
    Internet application protocols is the transmission of clear-text
    passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security
    (TLS).  There are some significant security concerns with that
    mechanism, which could be addressed by the use of a challenge
    response authentication mechanism protected by TLS. Unfortunately,
    the challenge response mechanisms presently on the standards track
    all fail to meet requirements necessary for widespread deployment,
    and have had success only in limited use.

    This specification describes an authentication mechanism called the
    Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM), which
    addresses the security concerns and meets the deployability
    requirements. When used in combination with TLS or an equivalent
    security layer, SCRAM could improve the status-quo for application
    protocol authentication and provide a suitable choice for a
    mandatory-to-implement mechanism for future application protocol
    standards.

    The purpose of this document is to describe the general SCRAM
    protocol, and how it is used in the GSS-API environment.  Through
    GS2, this makes the protocol available in the SASL environment as
    well.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-newman-auth-scram-gs2-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.