Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-softwire-lb-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Softwires Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Load Balancing for Mesh Softwires
	Author(s)       : C. Filsfils, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-softwire-lb-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2009-03-01

Payloads carried over a Softwire mesh service as defined by BGP
Encapsulation Subsequent Address Family Identifier (SAFI) information
exchange often carry a number of identifiable, distinct flows.  It
can in some circumstances be desirable to distribute these flows over
the equal cost multiple paths (ECMPs) that exist in the packet
switched network.  Currently, the payload of a packet entering the
Softwire can only be interpreted by the ingress and egress routers.
Thus the load balancing decision of a core router is only based on
the encapsulating header, presenting much less entropy than available
in the payload or the encapsulated header since the Softwire
encapsulation acts in a tunneling fashion.  This document describes a
method for achieving comparable load balancing efficiency in a
network carrying Softwire mesh service over Layer Two Tunneling
Protocol - Version 3 (L2TPv3) over IP or Generic Routing
Encapsulation (GRE) encapsulation to what would be achieved without
such encapsulation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-softwire-lb-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.