Subject: I-D Action:draft-rawat-mext-hc-tunneling-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 06:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Tunneling Header Compression (TuCP) for Tunneling over IP
	Author(s)       : P. Rawat, et al.
	Filename        : draft-rawat-mext-hc-tunneling-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-03-26

The IP tunneling mechanisms have important applications in network
solutions and are widely used in numerous contexts such as security
(VPN), IPv4 to IPv6 transition, and mobility support (MobileIP and
NEMO).  However, these tunneling mechanisms induce a large overhead
resulting from adding several protocol headers in each packet.  This
overhead deteriorates performance on wireless links which are scarce
in resources.

Header compression methods are often used on connection oriented
communication (e.g., UMTS networks) to reduce the overhead on the
wireless part.  These header compression methods can be used on
tunnel headers to reduce the protocol header overheads, independent
of the payload type.  Although, several header compression methods
exist, the header compression profiles defined by them are not
adapted to the characteristics of IP tunneling.  This document
specifies a tunneling header compression protocol for IP tunneling
mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rawat-mext-hc-tunneling-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.