Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Port Restricted IP Address Assignment
	Author(s)	: G. Bajko, T. Savolainen, M. Boucadair, P. Levis
	Filename	: draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-01.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2009-3-9
	
When IPv6 was designed, the assumption was that the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 
   will occur way before the exhaustion of the available IPv4 address pool. The 
   unexpected growth of the IPv4 Internet and the hesitation and technical 
   difficulties to deploy IPv6 indicates that the transition may take much longer 
   than originally anticipated. 
    
   It is expected that communication using IPv6 addresses will increase during the 
   next few years to come at the expense of communication using IPv4 addresses. The 
   Internet should reach a safety point in the future, where the number of IPv4 
   public addresses in use at a given time begins decreasing. It is very likely that 
   the IPv4 public address pool currently available at IANA will be exhausted before 
   the internet reaches this safety point. This creates a need to prolong the 
   lifetime of the available IPv4 addresses. 
    
   This document defines methods to allocate the same IPv4 address to multiple hosts, 
   with the aim to prolong the availability of public IPv4 addresses, possibly for as 
   long as it takes for IPv6 to take over the demand for IPv4.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bajko-pripaddrassign-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.