Subject: I-D Action:draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Rogue IPv6 Router Advertisement Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : T. Chown, S. Venaas
	Filename        : draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2009-03-09

When deploying IPv6, whether IPv6-only or dual-stack, routers are
configured to send IPv6 Router Advertisements to convey information
to nodes that enable them to autoconfigure on the network.  This
information includes the implied default router address taken from
the observed source address of the Router Advertisement (RA) message,
as well as on-link prefix information.  However, unintended
misconfigurations by users or administrators, or possibly malicious
attacks on the network, may lead to bogus RAs being present, which in
turn can cause operational problems for hosts on the network.  In
this draft we summarise the scenarios in which rogue RAs may be
observed and present a list of possible solutions to the problem.  We
focus on the unintended causes of rogue RAs in the text.  The goal of
this text is to be Informational, and as such to present a framework
around which solutions can be proposed and discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-rogue-ra-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.