Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: On the Harmfulness of Address Translation
	Author(s)	: C. Vogt
	Filename	: draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-00.txt
	Pages		: 3
	Date		: 2009-3-4
	
   Address translation is widely considered harmful because its existing
   variants conflict with well-established design principles of the
   Internet engineering community.  Still, address translation has
   become common practice despite technical problems because it    constitutes an easy-to-deploy solution to a set of common operational
   needs.  Since some of these needs will continue to exist in IP
   version 6, there is concern within the Internet engineering community
   about the potential proliferation of harmful technology from IP
   version 4 to IP version 6.  This paper investigates these concerns.
   It analyzes feasible address translator designs, explains why the
   problems of address translation, as used today, are to a significant
   extent specific to IP version 4, and shows how the problems can be
   mitigated in IP version 6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.