Subject: I-D Action:draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Qualifying the Harmfulness of Address Translation
	Author(s)       : C. Vogt
	Filename        : draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-03-09

Address translation is widely considered harmful because its existing
variants conflict with well-established design principles of the
Internet engineering community.  Still, address translation has
become common practice despite technical problems because it
constitutes an easy-to-deploy solution to a set of common operational
needs.  Since some of these needs will continue to exist in IP
version 6, there is concern within the Internet engineering community
about the potential proliferation of harmful technology from IP
version 4 to IP version 6.  This document addresses this concern.  It
compares feasible address translator designs with respect to harmful
implications, explains why the problems of address translation, as
used today, are to a significant extent specific to IP version 4, and
shows how the problems can be mitigated in IP version 6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.