Subject: I-D Action:draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Entity Tag ("ETag") Response Header in Write Operations
	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-09.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2009-03-02

The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) specifies a state identifier,
called "Entity Tag", to be returned in the "ETag" response header.
However, the description of this header for write operations such as
PUT is incomplete, and has caused confusion among developers and
protocol designers, and potentially interoperability problems.

This document explains the problem in detail and suggests both a
clarification for a revision to the HTTP/1.1 specification (RFC2616)
and a new header for use in responses, making HTTP entity tags more
useful for user agents that want to avoid round-trips to the server
after modifying a resource.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-http-etag-on-write-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.