Subject: I-D Action:draft-hunt-sigtran-iua-rate-message-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IUA Extension for Rate Control Message
	Author(s)       : N. Stewart, et al.
	Filename        : draft-hunt-sigtran-iua-rate-message-00.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2009-03-02

This document describes a new message, its associated acknowledgement
message, and a new parameter to extend the ISDN Q.921-User Adaptation
(IUA) protocol (RFC4233).  The protocol extension is to support the
use of an Overload Control Agent in a Signaling Gateway (SG).  The
Overload Control Agent is able to restrict the admission of new
originating ISDN calls (sessions) messages from the ISDN End Point to
each Application Server Process (ASP).  Both messages defined here
contain a single mandatory parameter, the Call (Session) Admission
Rate.  An ASP is able to use this protocol extension to control the
rate of new calls admitted towards that ASP by the Overload Control
Agent.

The new message and its acknowledgement message are added to the
Application Server Process Traffic Maintenance (ASPTM) message class.

As the DPNSS1/DASS2 Extension to IUA (DUA, RFC4129) also uses the
ASPTM message class, the IUA protocol extension described in this
document also applies to DUA.

For backward compatibility, a Signaling Gateway which does not
support the new message is expected to follow standard IUA behaviour
by discarding the message, and returning an error code of
"Unsupported Message Type" to the sender.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hunt-sigtran-iua-rate-message-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.