Subject: I-D Action:draft-sajassi-l2vpn-vpls-pbb-interop-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : VPLS Interoperability with Provider Backbone Bridges
	Author(s)       : A. Sajassi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-sajassi-l2vpn-vpls-pbb-interop-04.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2009-03-23

The scalability of H-VPLS with Ethernet access network can be 
improved by incorporating Provider Backbone Bridge (PBB) 
functionality in VPLS access. PBB has been standardized as IEEE 
802.1ah-2008, which is an amendment to 802.1Q to improve the 
scalability of MAC addresses and service instances in Provider 
Ethernet networks. This document describes different 
interoperability scenarios where IEEE 802.1ah functionality is used 
in H-VPLS with Ethernet or MPLS access network to attain better 
scalability in terms of number of customer MAC addresses and number 
of service instances. The document also describes the scenarios and 
the mechanisms for incorporating PBB functionality within H-VPLS 
with existing IEEE 802.1ad (aka QinQ) Ethernet access and 
interoperability among them. Furthermore, the document discusses the 
migration mechanisms and scenarios by which PBB functionality can be 
incorporated into H-VPLS with existing MPLS access. 

Conventions used in this document 
 
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sajassi-l2vpn-vpls-pbb-interop-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.