Subject: I-D Action:draft-worley-sipping-forking-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A New Forking Mechanism for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
	Author(s)       : D. Worley
	Filename        : draft-worley-sipping-forking-03.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2009-03-03

The rules for SIP proxies are organized so that when a UAC sends an
out-of-dialog request, even if the request is forked to a number of
UASs, (usually) only one UAS will accept the request, and only the
final response from that UAS will be returned to the UAC.  This
forking mechanism is optimal for an INVITE intended to connect one
human user with another human uses, but is poor for requests that
have a "one to many" nature, especially PUBLISH and SUBSCRIBE
requests, but also including some INVITEs.  This document proposes an
alternative forking mechanism that better supports "one to many"
requests, and that mechanism be the standardized meaning of the
(existing but weakly specified) "Request-Disposition: no-cancel,
parallel" header.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-worley-sipping-forking-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.