Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Qualifying the Harmfulness of Address Translation
	Author(s)	: C. Vogt
	Filename	: draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2009-3-30
	
Address translation is widely considered harmful because it conflicts
   with design principles highly regarded within the Internet
   engineering community.  Still, address translation has become common
   practice despite technical problems because it constitutes an easy-   to-deploy solution to a set of common operational needs.  Since some
   of these needs will continue to exist in IP version 6, there is
   concern within the Internet engineering community about the potential
   proliferation of harmful technology from IP version 4 to IP version
   6.  This document investigates this concern.  It compares feasible
   address translator designs with respect to the harmful impact they
   may have, explains why the problems of address translation, as used
   today, are to a significant extent entailed by the shortage of global
   addresses in IP version 4, and shows how the problems can be
   mitigated in IP version 6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.