Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Roadmap for Cryptographic Authentication of Routing Protocol Packets on the Wire
	Author(s)	: G. Lebovitz
	Filename	: draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-01.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 2009-3-13
	
In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of
   "Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is    documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948].  Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for
   "[t]ightening the security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four
   main steps were identified for improving the security of the routing
   infrastructure.  One of those steps was "securing the routing
   protocols' packets on the wire."  One mechanism for securing routing
   protocol packets on the wire is the use of per-packet cryptographic
   message authentication, providing both peer authentication and
   message integrity.  Many different routing protocols exist and they
   employ a range of different transport subsystems.  Therefore there
   must necessarily be various methods defined for applying
   cryptographic authentication to these varying protocols.  Many
   routing protocols already have some method for accomplishing
   cryptographic message authentication.  However, in many cases the
   existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and/or employ
   cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  This document
   creates a roadmap of protocol specification work for the use of
   modern cryptogrpahic mechanisms and algorithms for message
   authentication in routing protocols.  It also defines the framework
   for a key management protocol that may be used to create and manage
   session keys for message authentication and integrity.  This roadmap
   reflects the input of both the security area and routing area in
   order to form a jointly agreed upon and prioritized work list for the
   effort.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.