Subject: I-D Action:draft-touch-intarea-ipv4-unique-id-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv4 ID Uniqueness Requirements
	Author(s)       : J. Touch, M. Mathis
	Filename        : draft-touch-intarea-ipv4-unique-id-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-03-09

The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and 
reassembly, but is required and must be unique within the maximum 
segment lifetime on all packets. If implemented as required, this 
uniqueness would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps; since this is 
ubiquitously not the case, it is clear that existing systems violate 
the current requirement. This document updates the requirements for 
the IP ID field to more closely reflect current practice, and to more 
closely match IPv6, in which the field is defined only when a packet 
is actually fragmented. Even when fragmented, this document 
recommends that the ID field uniqueness consider the reordering 
context, rather than an arbitrary, unenforced upper bound on segment 
lifetime.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-touch-intarea-ipv4-unique-id-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.