Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Wrapped ESP for Traffic Visibility
	Author(s)	: M. Bhatia, K. Grewal, G. Montenegro
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-02.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2009-4-30
	
This document describes the Wrapped Encapsulating Security 
   Payload (WESP) protocol, which builds on top of ESP [RFC4303] 
   and is designed to allow intermediate devices to ascertain if 
   ESP-NULL is being employed and hence inspect the IPsec packets 
   for network monitoring and access control functions.  Currently 
   in the IPsec standard, there is no way to differentiate between 
   ESP encryption and ESP NULL encryption by simply examining a 
   packet. This poses certain challenges to the intermediate 
   devices that need to deep inspect the packet before making a 
   decision on what should be done with that packet (Inspect and/or 
   Allow/Drop). The mechanism described in this document can be 
   used to easily disambiguate ESP-NULL from ESP encrypted packets, 
   without compromising on the security provided by ESP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-traffic-visibility-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.