Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-3-state-encoding-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A PCN encoding using 2 DSCPs to provide 3 or more states
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-3-state-encoding-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-04-08

Pre-congestion notification (PCN) is a mechanism designed to protect
the Quality of Service of inelastic flows within a controlled domain.
It does this by marking packets when traffic load on a link is
approaching or has exceeded a threshold below the physical link rate.
This experimental encoding scheme specifies how three encoding states
can be carried in the IP header using a combination of two DSCPs and
the ECN bits.  The Basic scheme only allows for three encoding
states.  The Full scheme additionally provides limited end-to-end
support for ECN.

Status (to be removed by RFC Editor)

This memo is posted as an Internet-Draft with an intent to eventually
be published as an experimental RFC.  The PCN Working Group will be
asked to adopt this memo as a Working Group document describing one
of several possible experimental PCN encoding schemes.  The intention
is that the title of this document will change to avoid confusion
with the three state marking scheme.

Changes from previous drafts

>From draft-moncaster-pcn-3-state-encoding-01:

o  Changed to WG draft.  Title changed from "A three state extended

PCN encoding scheme"

o  Imposed new structure on document.  This structure is intended to

be followed by all extensions to the baseline PCN encoding scheme.

o  Extensive changes throughout to ensure consistency with the

baseline PCN encoding scheme.

>From 00 to 01:

o  Checked terminology for consistency with

[I-D.ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding]
o  Minor editorial changes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-state-encoding-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.