Subject: I-D Action:draft-francis-intra-va-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : FIB Suppression with Virtual Aggregation
	Author(s)       : P. Francis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-francis-intra-va-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2009-04-24

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.  FIB suppression
is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT loading selected
RIB entries into the FIB.  Virtual Aggregation (VA) allows ISPs to
shrink the FIBs of any and all routers, easily by an order of
magnitude with negligible increase in path length and load.  FIB
suppression deployed autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs
is not required), and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-francis-intra-va-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.