Subject: I-D Action:draft-ma-sipping-server-event-package-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 02:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A SIP server event package for SIP server farm
	Author(s)       : T. Ma, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ma-sipping-server-event-package-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2009-05-26

This document defines the Session Initiation  Protocol (SIP) server 
even package for SIP server farm using the SIP event framework. The 
SIP server event package allows  clients to  subscribe to  the 
servers for server  information in the server farm, and  serves 
to communicate information with each other.  Based on this, an 
overall view of the SIP server farm is built and delivered  to the 
entity  (including SIP phone proxy or other SIP servers) which 
subscribes and  receives the event packages. The view would help 
failover and load balancing in the server farm. The event 
notification mechanism of SIP event framework guarantees its 
adaption to the dynamic changes of server state.  We instantiate 
the usage of SIP server event package in three scenarios: client 
based failover,  DNS based  failover, load  balancer based load 
balancing.  To be added, we introduce some specific usage 
in Peer-to-Peer SIP(P2PSIP) and service discovery to expand and 
explore the potential usage space. Compared with the failover and 
load balancing mechanisms in traditional SIP, the new SIP event 
package would apply its explicit and dynamic notification mechanism 
to improve the efficiency and service availability of SIP server 
farm.

This mechanism using server event package can also be a complementary 
way for the  DNS functionality  defined in  RFC 3263[RFC 3263] to 
locate SIP servers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ma-sipping-server-event-package-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.