Subject: I-D Action:draft-pbasu-dtnrg-naming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 06:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Intentional Naming in DTN
	Author(s)       : P. Basu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-pbasu-dtnrg-naming-00.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2009-05-22

This document describes an extension to the naming mechanism of
disruption tolerant networks (RFC4838) to support intentional naming.
Intentional naming is a means by which a source node specifies the
destination node(s) for a bundle in terms of predicates on attributes
of the node(s), instead of by a canonical endpoint identifier (EID)
of the node.  Intentional naming is closely tied to the concept of
binding, as described in RFC 4838.  Since information required to
route an intentionally named bundle may not be available at the
source node, this information must be supplied at one or more
subsequent nodes along the bundle's path toward its destination(s).
The architecture required for an intentional naming capability in a
DTN must support the notion that a bundle can make progress toward
its destination(s) in the absence of complete binding information.
In this document we describe a framework for intentional naming in a
DTN, propose a syntax for intentional names, and describe a
distributed procedure for late or partial binding.  We also present
sample use cases for late binding and a notional name binding
algorithm, called GRAIN, that can deliver bundles to intentional
names with geographic and role attributes, e.g. "first responders
within a kilometer of a specified location."  Finally, we discuss the
limitations in our current ability to field an ideal intentional
naming system (i.e., one that can support generic intentional names),
and we suggest a somewhat restrictive framework that is both useful
and feasible to deploy.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pbasu-dtnrg-naming-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.