Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-resumption-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 13:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IKEv2 Session Resumption
	Author(s)       : Y. Sheffer, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-resumption-03.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2009-05-01

The Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) protocol has a certain
computational and communication overhead with respect to the number
of round-trips required and the cryptographic operations involved.
In remote access situations, the Extensible Authentication Protocol
(EAP) is used for authentication, which adds several more round trips
and consequently latency.

To re-establish security associations (SAs) upon a failure recovery
condition is time consuming especially when an IPsec peer (such as a
VPN gateway) needs to re-establish a large number of SAs with various
end points.  A high number of concurrent sessions might cause
additional problems for an IPsec peer during SA re-establishment.

In order to avoid the need to re-run the key exchange protocol from
scratch it would be useful to provide an efficient way to resume an
IKE/IPsec session.  This document proposes an extension to IKEv2 that
allows a client to re-establish an IKE SA with a gateway in a highly
efficient manner, utilizing a previously established IKE SA.

A client can reconnect to a gateway from which it was disconnected.
The proposed approach requires passing opaque data from the IKEv2
responder to the IKEv2 initiator, which is later made available to
the IKEv2 responder for re-authentication.  We use the term ticket to
refer to the opaque data that is created by the IKEv2 responder.
This document does not specify the format of the ticket but
recommendations are provided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-resumption-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.