Subject: I-D Action:draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reliability-only Ciphersuites for the Bundle Protocol
	Author(s)       : W. Eddy, et al.
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-05.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2009-05-12

The Delay-Tolerant Networking Bundle Protocol includes a custody
transfer mechanism to provide acknowledgements of receipt for
particular bundles.  No checksum is included in the basic DTN Bundle
Protocol, however, so at intermediate hops, it is not possible to
verify that bundles have been either forwarded or passed through
convergence layers without error.  Without assurance that a bundle
has been received without errors, the custody transfer receipt cannot
guarantee that a correct copy of the bundle has been transferred, and
errored bundles are forwarded when the destination cannot use the
errored content, and discarding the errored bundle early would have
been better for performance and throughput reasons.  This document
addresses that situation by defining new ciphersuites for use within
the existing Bundle Security Protocol's Payload Integrity Block
(formerly called the Payload Security Block [ED: remove old name
before RFC]) to provide error-detection functions that do not require
support for other, more complex, security-providing ciphersuites that
protect integrity against deliberate modifications.  This creates the
checksum service needed for error-free reliability, and does so by
separating security concerns from the few new reliability-only
ciphersuite definitions that are introduced here.  The reliability-
only ciphersuites given here are intended to protect only against
errors and accidental modification; not against deliberate integrity
violations.  This document discusses the advantages and disadvantages
of this approach and the existing constraints that combined to drive
this design.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.