Subject: I-D Action:draft-racz-bgp-based-alto-service-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An ALTO Service based on BGP Routing Information
	Author(s)       : P. Racz, Z. Despotovic
	Filename        : draft-racz-bgp-based-alto-service-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2009-06-29

Overlay applications, like Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file-sharing and video
streaming, attract a lot of users and generate a huge amount of data.
Most overlay applications do not take into account the underlying
network topology in their routing decisions and connection
establishment in general. Due to this fact and the large amount of
P2P traffic, overlay applications waste network resources, cause
problems in network management, and result in high costs for ISPs,
especially because of the expensive interconnection links between
ISPs. Therefore, the objective of the ALTO Working Group Charter
[ALTO-charter] is to design and specify an Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization (ALTO) service that will assist P2P applications in
their peer selection process in order to achieve a more efficient
usage of network resources, to reduce operational costs of ISPs, and
to increase the overlay application performance at the same time.

This draft proposes a possible ALTO service that uses BGP routing
information in order to calculate a rating value for peers providing
a certain resource (resource providers). The service is operated by
the ISP. Since BGP routing information is available in any ISP
network and the service accesses the routing information from the
local ISP network, the deployment of the service does not require
changes in the network and the ALTO server can retrieve routing
information automatically.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-racz-bgp-based-alto-service-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.