Subject: I-D Action:draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 08:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Security Extension for Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation Protocol
	Author(s)       : M. Noisternig, et al.
	Filename        : draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2009-06-29

The Unidirectional Lightweight Encapsulation (ULE) protocol provides
an efficient mechanism for transporting IP and other network layer
protocol data over MPEG-2 networks. Such networks, widely used
especially for providing digital TV services, often use broadcast
wireless transmission media, and are hence vulnerable to various
types of security attacks.

This document describes a new mandatory ULE extension to protect ULE
traffic using security features such as data confidentiality, data
integrity, data origin authentication, and prevention against replay
attacks. Additionally, destination addresses may be hidden from
illegitimate receiver devices using the identity protection feature.

The format of the security extension header as well as the processing
at receivers and transmitters are described in detail. The extension
aims to be lightweight and flexible such that it may be implemented
in low-cost, resource-scarce transceivers, and different levels of
security may be selected.

The security extension may be easily adapted to the Generic Stream
Encapsulation (GSE) protocol, which uses a similar extension header
mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-noisternig-ipdvb-sec-ext-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.