Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Enhanced validation of domains for HTTP State Management Cookies using DNS
	Author(s)	: Y. Pettersen
	Filename	: draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-05.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2009-6-21
	
HTTP State Management Cookies are used for a wide variety of tasks on
   the Internet, from preference handling to user identification.  An
   important privacy and security feature of cookies is that their
   information can only be sent to a servers in a limited namespace, the
   domain.

   The variation of domain structures that are in use by domain name
   registries, especially the country code Top Level Domains (ccTLD)
   namespaces, makes it difficult to determine what is a valid domain,
   e.g. example.co.uk and example.no, which cookies should be permitted
   for, and a registry-like domain (subTLDs) like co.uk where cookies
   should not be permitted.

   This document specifies an imperfect method using DNS name lookups
   for cookie domains to determine if cookies can be permitted for that
   domain, based on the assumption that most subTLD domains will not
   have an IP address assigned to them, while most legitimate services
   that share cookies among multiple servers will have an IP address for
   their domain name to make the user's navigation easier by omitting
   the customary "www" prefix.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pettersen-dns-cookie-validate-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.