Subject: I-D Action:draft-levy-abegnoli-savi-plbt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 03:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Preference Level based Binding Table
	Author(s)       : E. Levy-Abegnoli
	Filename        : draft-levy-abegnoli-savi-plbt-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2009-06-02

A trusted database located on the first switch, storing the binding
between end-nodes Link-Layer-Addresses (LLA) and their IPv6 addresses
would be an essential part of source address validation.  To build
such a database, one must:
1.  Describe the source of information
2.  How the information is maintained
3.  How the collisions are resolved.
and solutions would differ by one or more of these elements.

While also getting its binding data from NDP, this draft proposes an
alternate to "first-come-first-serve" basis [fcfs]), by specifying a
preference algorithm to deal with collisions.  Instead of the
simplistic first-come first serve collision handling, the proposed
algorithm relies on the following criterias to choose between two
coliding entries:
o  Where the entries were learnt from (access port, trunk port, etc)
o  Credential carried by the entries (CGA proof, certificate, mac/lla

match, etc.)
o  State of the current entry
o  Age of the entry

Since the state of the entry is one of the element of the algorithm,
this draft also describes a tracking mechanism to maintain entries in
states where the preference algorithm can enable end-nodes movement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-levy-abegnoli-savi-plbt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.