Subject: I-D Action:draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : 6LowApp: Problem Statement for 6LoWPAN and LLN Application Protocols
	Author(s)       : C. Bormann, et al.
	Filename        : draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2009-07-13

The 6LoWPAN and ROLL WGs are laying the groundwork to make the
Wireless Embedded Internet a reality, but what application protocols
will we use?  Request-response protocols like HTTP are a poor fit to
a communication model with battery-operated, mostly sleeping nodes.
In addition, the usual data formats (both headers and body) are
perceived to be too chatty for the 50-60 byte payloads possible in
LoWPANs and to require too much code for the 8-bit and 16-bit
processors dominating the Internet of Things.  Still, it would be a
mistake to start a new silo of application protocols that do not
benefit from existing application area Internet experience.

This document provides a problem statement for possible work on of
application protocols in 6LoWPAN networks or, more generally, in low-
power, lossy networks, as well as some considerations for required
related work.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bormann-6lowpan-6lowapp-problem-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.