Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 06:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) INFO Method and Package Framework
	Author(s)       : E. Burger, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events-00.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2009-07-05

This document provides new semantics for the SIP INFO method of RFC
2976.  These new semantics defined here are fully backwards
compatible with the old semantics.  Core to the new semantics is a
mechanism for defining, negotiating and exchanging Info Packages that
use the INFO method.  Applications that need to exchange session-
related information within a SIP INVITE-created session, also known
as application level information, use these INFO requests.  This
draft addresses issues and open items from RFC 2976 and replaces it.

Conventions Used in this Document

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [RFC2119].
The terminology in this document conforms to the Internet Security
Glossary [RFC4949].

Be aware this document strictly follows RFC 3261 [RFC3261] for the
definition of the terms User Agent Server (UAS) and User Agent Client
(UAC).  Specifically, the UAC issues a SIP request and the UAS
responds.  This terminology may be confusing when one combines the
INFO case with the INVITE case.  For an INVITE, the initiator of the
session is the UAC and the target of the session is the UAS.
However, it is possible for the target UA of the session, the UAS of
the INVITE transaction, to send an INFO to the initiating UA of the
session, the UAC of the INVITE transaction.  From the perspective of
the INFO, the target UA of the session (INVITE UAS) is, in fact, the
UAC (sender) of the INFO request.  Likewise, from the perspective of
the INFO, the initiating UA of the session (INVITE UAC) is the UAS
(recipient) of the INFO request.  Since this document strictly
follows RFC 3261, we refer to the UA that issues the INVITE as the
"initiating UA" and the UA that responds to the INVITE as the "target
UA" to remove any confusion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipcore-info-events-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.