Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-reqs-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements
	Author(s)       : S. Kiesel, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-reqs-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2009-07-13

Many Internet applications are used to access resources, such as
pieces of information or server processes, which are available in
several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
guidance to applications, which have to select one or several hosts
from a set of candidates, that are able to provide a desired
resource.  This guidance shall be based on parameters that affect
performance and efficiency of the data transmission between the
hosts, e.g., the topological distance.  The ultimate goal is to
improve performance (or Quality of Experience) in the application
while reducing resource consumption in the underlying network
infrastructure.

This document enumerates requirements for ALTO, which should be
considered when specifying, assessing, or comparing protocols and
implementations, and it solicits feedback and discussion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-reqs-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.