Subject: I-D Action:draft-masinter-dated-uri-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The "tdb" URI scheme: denoting described resources
	Author(s)       : L. Masinter
	Filename        : draft-masinter-dated-uri-06.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2009-07-12

This document defines a URI scheme, "tdb" ( standing for "Thing
Described By").  It provides a semantic hook for allowing anyone at
any time to mint a URI for anything that they can describe.  Such
URIs may include a timestamp to fix the description at a given date
or time.

This URI scheme may reduce the need to define define new URN
namespaces merely for the purpose of creating stable identifiers.  In
addition, they provide a ready means for identifying "non-information
resources" by semantic indirection -- a way of creating a URI for
anything.

Note

This document is not a product of any working group.  Many of the
ideas here have been discussed since 2001.  This document has been
discussed on the mailing list <[email-masked]>.  Previous versions have
couched "tdb" as a URN namespace, and included a "duri" scheme for
fixing date without indirection, which seems unnecessary.  It was
originally written as a thought experiment as a way of resolving the
use/mention problem in semantic web applications, but may have other
uses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-masinter-dated-uri-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.