Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cui-softwire-pet-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: PET-based framework for IPv4/IPv6 coexistence

	Author(s)	: Y. Cui, M. Xu, S. Wang, X. Li, J. Wu
	Filename	: draft-cui-softwire-pet-framework-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 2009-7-6
	
IPv6 offers significant advantages over IPv4, however it will take
   a long time to replace IPv4 with IPv6. Therefore, these two protocols
   are expected to coexist during the transition period. Currently,
   there are many transition technologies, such as translation and
   tunneling. In some typical transition scenarios, both tunneling and
   translation are needed. However, either translation or tunneling has
   limitation and application scope. In addition, besides IP version of
   source, middle and destination network, the network property (a
   regular edge network or a backbone) has key impact on system
   performance. Therefore, we need to decide which transition method
   should  be  used  in  some  typical  transition  scenarios  and  how
   transition and tunneling collaborate for solving transition problems.
   This draft presents an IPv4-IPv6 transition framework, which is a
   network side transition solution. It introduces a toolbox named PET
   (short for Prefixing, encapsulation and translation) to solve IPv4-
   IPv6  transition.  PET  includes  fundamental  elements  needed  in
   transition scenarios, which provides the flexibility for network to
   decide the proper transition methods. In addition, this draft also
   addresses  how  to  deploy  PETs  and  analyze  the  advantages  and
   disadvantages of all transition methods that PET may adopt.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-softwire-pet-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.