Subject: I-D Action:draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 01:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Interaction of dynamic firewall control protocols and SIP
	Author(s)       : S. Kiesel
	Filename        : draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-07-06

SIP-based multimedia applications dynamically negotiate parameters
for the related media streams, such as UDP port numbers.  Therefore,
firewalls that want to inspect these streams have to interact with
the session signaling.  Several architectures and protocols have been
developed for the dynamic control of firewalls on the media path, e.
g., MIDCOM, SIMCO, and the NSIS NAT/FW NSLP.  This document
investigates problems with the interaction of standard SIP (as of RFC
3261) and these firewall control protocols, especially with respect
to error handling.  It will be pointed out how existing SIP
extensions can be used for improving the interaction, and which
additional mechanisms need to be specified.  While the actual
specification of such additional mechanisms is out of the scope of
this document, it solicits feedback and discussion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kiesel-mmusic-firewall-sip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.