Subject: I-D Action:draft-iyengar-ford-tng-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Next Generation Transport Services Architecture
	Author(s)       : J. Iyengar, B. Ford
	Filename        : draft-iyengar-ford-tng-00.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2009-07-06

While there is substantial community interest in next-generation
multipath-capable Internet transports, evolutionary pressures have
gradually eroded the simplicity of the Internet's original transport
architecture to a point where it is no longer realistically
applicable to new tranports.  This document proposes a new
architectural framework for next-generation multipath-capable
transport protocols, focusing immediately on multipath TCP but taking
care to allow for generalization to other multipath-capable
transports.  The architecture places emphasis on enabling new
multipath features in a safe, TCP-friendly, and backward-compatible
fashion, retaining full interoperability with both existing
applications and existing network infrastructure, and enabling reuse
of existing protocols as much as possible while providing incremental
deployment paths to new, more powerful and/or more efficient
protocols.  The architecture re-establishes the long-lost principles
of end-to-end reliability and fate sharing, in the presence of
existing and future network middleboxes, and enables the deployment
of transport-neutral end-to-end protection without interfering with
these policy-enforcing or performance-enhancing middleboxes.  This
document describes architecture goals, a layering model supporting
these goals, abstract properties of the interfaces between the
architecture's new layers, general approaches to multipath congestion
control and how they fit into the architecture, realistic protocol
design and incremental deployment paths, and ways in which this
document complements and relates to ongoing protocol design
activities in the IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iyengar-ford-tng-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.