Subject: I-D Action:draft-pmohapat-sidr-pfx-validate-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 06:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : BGP Prefix Origin Validation
	Author(s)       : P. Mohapatra, et al.
	Filename        : draft-pmohapat-sidr-pfx-validate-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-07-27

A BGP route associates an address prefix with a set of autonomous
systems (AS) that identify the interdomain path the prefix has
traversed in the form of BGP announcements.  This set is represented
as the AS_PATH attribute in BGP and starts with the AS that
originated the prefix.  To help reduce well-known threats against BGP
including prefix hijacking and monkey-in-the-middle attacks, one of
the security requirements is the ability to validate the origination
AS of BGP routes.  More specifically, one needs to validate that the
AS number claiming to originate an address prefix (as derived from
the AS_PATH attribute of the BGP route) is in fact authorized by the
prefix holder to do so.  This document describes a simple validation
mechanism to partially satisfy this requirement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pmohapat-sidr-pfx-validate-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.