Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cui-pet-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 14:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: PET-based solution for IPv4/IPv6 coexistence
	Author(s)	: Y. Cui, M. Xu, S. Wang, X. Li, J. Wu
	Filename	: draft-cui-pet-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2009-7-6
	
IPv6 offers significant advantages over IPv4, however it will take 
 long time to replace IPv4 with IPv6. Therefore, these two protocols are 
 expected to coexist during the transition period. Currently, there are 
 many transition devices deployed to solve transition problems. Most of 
 them only use one technology (either translation or tunneling). However,
 any transition technology has limitation and application scope. In 
 transition scenarios, besides IP version of source, middle and destination
 network, the network characteristic (a regular edge network or a backbone) 
 has key impact on system performance of transition methods. Therefore, we 
 need to decide which transition method should be used in some typical 
 transition scenarios and how the transition and tunneling devices 
 collaborate for solving transition problems. This draft introduces a smart
 toolbox named PET (shortfor Prefixing, encapsulation and translation) which
 includes all fundamental elements needed in all transition scenarios, such
 as the control and data plane operations of tunneling and translation.
 Based on PET, we propose a network side transition solution. In this framework, 
 there deploys only one kind of transition device, i.e. PET. Through the
 collaboration of PETs, the transition problems can be solved. In this draft, 
 we give the advantages and disadvantages of all transition methods PET may adopt
 according to IP version of source, middle and destination network, and the 
 network characteristic. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-pet-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.