Subject: I-D Action:draft-roca-fecframe-ldpc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : LDPC-Staircase Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes for FECFRAME
	Author(s)       : V. Roca, et al.
	Filename        : draft-roca-fecframe-ldpc-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2009-07-03

This document describes two fully-specified FEC schemes for LDPC-
Staircase codes that can be used to protect media streams along the
lines defined by the FECFRAME framework.  It inherits from RFC5170
the specifications of LDPC-Staircase codes.  More specifically, these
codes belong to the well-known class of "Low Density Parity Check"
codes.  They are large block FEC codes, in the sense of RFC3453,
since they can efficiently deal with a large number of source
symbols.  They are also systematic codes, since the source symbols
are part of the encoding symbols.  Finally, they can perform close to
ideal codes in many use-cases, since decoding is often possible after
receiving a small number of encoding symbols in addition to the
strict minimum, while keeping very high encoding and decoding
throughputs with a software codec.

LDPC-Staircase codes are therefore a good solution for the protection
of high bitrate ADU flows, or when several mid-bitrate flows are
protected together by a single FECFRAME instance.  They are also a
good solution whenever the processing load of a software encoder or
decoder must be kept to a minimum.

The first scheme describes the use of LDPC-Staircase codes in a
FECFRAME instance in order to protect arbitrary ADU flows.  The
second scheme is similar to the first scheme, with the exception that
it is for a single sequenced ADU flow.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roca-fecframe-ldpc-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.