Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-dime-diameter-cmd-iana-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:30:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Diameter Maintenance and Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated IANA Considerations for Diameter Command Code Allocations
	Author(s)       : D. Romascanu, H. Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dime-diameter-cmd-iana-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-07-13

The Diameter Base specification, described in RFC 3588, provides a
number of ways to extend Diameter, with new Diameter commands, i.e.
messages used by Diameter applications, and applications as the most
extensive enhancements.  RFC 3588 illustrates the conditions that
lead to the need to define a new Diameter application or a new
command code.  Depending on the scope of the Diameter extension IETF
actions are necessary.  Although defining new Diameter applications
does not require IETF consensus, defining new Diameter commands
requires IETF consensus per RFC 3588.  This has lead to questionable
design decisions by other Standards Development Organizations which
chose to define new applications on existing commands rather than
asking for assignment of new command codes for the pure purpose of
avoiding bringing their specifications to the IETF.  In some cases
interoperability problems were causes as an effect of the poor design
caused by overloading existing commands.

This document aligns the extensibility rules of Diameter application
with the Diameter commands offering ways to delegate work on Diameter
to other SDOs to extend Diameter in a way that does not lead to poor
design choices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dime-diameter-cmd-iana-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.