Subject: I-D Action:draft-penno-alto-protocol-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : R. Penno, Y. Yang
	Filename        : draft-penno-alto-protocol-02.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2009-07-13

Applications already have access to great amount of underlying
network topology information.  For example, views of the Internet
routing table are easily available at looking glass servers and
entirely practical to downloaded by clients.  What is missing is
network side information such as the network preference information
-- what an ISP or Content Provider actually prefers -- and a way to
distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-alto-protocol-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.