Subject: I-D Action:draft-lohmar-mmusic-rtsp-fcs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Fast Content Switching with RTSP 2.0
	Author(s)       : T. Lohmar, et al.
	Filename        : draft-lohmar-mmusic-rtsp-fcs-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-07-29

RTSP defines the setup and control for on demand and live streaming
media sessions, which are delivered via an external media transport
protocol such as RTP/UDP.  RTSP does not define a mechanism to change
the content during an on-going streaming session.  Such a mechanism
improves the streaming experience when a user browses through
multiple offerings on a single streaming site.

This document describes several methods to improve content switching.
The basic principle is to re-use already established transport
sessions (e.g.  RTP/UDP sessions) and negotiate new content to be
delivered on the existing sessions.  If additional transport sessions
are necessary, those sessions are established separately.  This
principle of re-using the RTSP control and transport sessions
decreases the content switch delay to a large extent and improves the
end-user experience.

The present document defines a mechanism for switching to new
content, both when the client already has the content description
available and when it does not.

This document additionally considers switching of a single media
stream in a session, when several alternative media components are
available.  For instance, the content may provide several alternate
audio tracks in different languages to be played with a single video
stream.

The principle of Fast Content Switching and Start-up is also defined
in 3GPP TS 26.234 [3GPP.26.234] for RTSP 1.0 [RFC2326].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lohmar-mmusic-rtsp-fcs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.