Subject: I-D Action:draft-cui-softwire-pet-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 00:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence Framework (PET)
	Author(s)       : Y. Cui, et al.
	Filename        : draft-cui-softwire-pet-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2009-07-07

IPv6 offers significant advantages over IPv4.  However IPv4 and IPv6
protocols are expected to coexist during a long period.  Currently,
there are many IPv4/IPv6 transition/coexistence technologies, which
can be generally devided into two kinds: translation and tunneling.
In some typical transition scenarios, both tunneling and translation
are needed.  However, either translation or tunneling has limitation
and application scope.  In addition to the IP versions of source
networks and destination networks, the IP version of transport
network (the middle part along end-to-end path) also plays an
important role during IPv4/IPv6 transition/coexistence.

Therefore, we need to decide which transition methods should be used
in different typical transition scenarios and how transition and
tunneling collaborate for solving transition/coexistence problems.
This draft presents an IPv4-IPv6 transition/coexistence framework
named PET (short for Prefixing, Encapsulation and Translation), which
is a network side solution.  PET includes fundamental elements needed
in transition scenarios, which provides the flexibility for network
operators to decide the proper transition technology.  In addition,
this draft also addresses how to deploy PETs and analyze the
advantages and disadvantages of typical transition technologies that
PET may adopt.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-softwire-pet-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.