Subject: I-D Action:draft-vandevelde-v6ops-harmful-tunnels-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 06:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Non-Deterministic IPv6 Tunnels considered Harmful
	Author(s)       : G. Van de Velde, et al.
	Filename        : draft-vandevelde-v6ops-harmful-tunnels-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2009-07-02

IPv6 is ongoing and natively being deployed by a growing community
and it is important that the quality perception and traffic flows are
as optimal as possible.  Ideally it would be as good as the IPv4
perceptive experience.

This paper looks into a set of transitional technologies where the
actual user has IPv6 connectivity through the means of IPv6-in-IPv4
tunnels.  A subset of the available tunnels has the property of being
non-deterministic (i.e. 6to4 [RFC3056] and Teredo [RFC4380] ) because
neither the egress path nor the ingress path is always fully
controlled.  While native IPv6 deployments will keep growing it is
uncertain or even expected that these non-deterministic traffic flows
will be providing the same user experience and operational quality as
deterministic tunnels or native IPv6 connectivity.

This paper will detail some considerations around non-deterministic
tunnels and will document the harmful element of these for the future
growth of networks and the Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vandevelde-v6ops-harmful-tunnels-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.