Subject: I-D Action:draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 17:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Qualifying the Harmfulness of Address Translation
	Author(s)       : C. Vogt
	Filename        : draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2009-07-13

Address translation is widely considered harmful because it conflicts
with design principles highly regarded within the Internet
engineering community.  Still, address translation has become common
practice despite technical problems because it constitutes an easy-
to-deploy solution to a set of common operational needs.  Since some
of these needs will continue to exist in IP version 6, there is
concern within the Internet engineering community about the potential
proliferation of harmful technology from IP version 4 to IP version
6.  This document investigates this concern.  It compares feasible
address translator designs with respect to the harmful impact they
may have, explains why the problems of address translation, as used
today, are to a significant extent entailed by the shortage of global
addresses in IP version 4, and shows how the problems can be
mitigated in IP version 6.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vogt-address-translation-harmfulness-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.