Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-va-perf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Performance of Virtual Aggregation
	Author(s)       : H. Ballani, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-va-perf-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2009-07-05

The document "FIB Suppression with Virtual Aggregation"
[I-D.francis-intra-va] describes how router FIB size may be reduced.
This approach entails a trade-off between path-length and load versus
FIB size.  It also has the potential to reduce convergence time.
This document describes the results of several studies that examine
these characteristics.  The results of a study for a Tier-1 ISP with
a relatively sophisticated deployment of VA, shows that FIB size
could be reduced ten times or more with a worst-case latency penalty
of 4ms and a worst-case load increase of <1.5%.  Another study,
examining a much simpler style of VA deployment, also for a Tier-1
ISP, shows that FIB size can be reduced by four times (in routers
serving as APRs), and more than 10 times in other routers.  Here,
worst-case latency increase was 16 ms, though this is almost
certainly an over-estimate, both because traceroute was used to make
the measurement, and because popular prefixes were not considered.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-va-perf-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.