Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 03:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Recommendation for IPv6 Address Text Representation
	Author(s)       : S. Kawamura, M. Kawashima
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-08-23

As IPv6 network grows, there will be more engineers and also non-
engineers who will have the need to use an IPv6 address in text.
While the IPv6 address architecture RFC 4291 section 2.2 depicts a
flexible model for text representation of an IPv6 address, this
flexibility has been causing problems for operators, system
engineers, and users.  This document will describe the problems that
a flexible text representation has been causing.  This document also
recommends a canonical representation format that best avoids
confusion.  It is expected that the canonical format is followed by
humans and systems when representing IPv6 addresses as text, but all
implementations must accept and be able to handle any legitimate
RFC4291 format.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6man-text-addr-representation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.