Subject: I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ipsecme-ikev2-gtc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 13:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using EAP-GTC for Simple User Authentication in IKEv2
	Author(s)       : Y. Sheffer
	Filename        : draft-sheffer-ipsecme-ikev2-gtc-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2009-08-02

Despite many years of effort, simple username-password authentication
is still prevalent.  In many cases a password is the only credential
available to the end user.  IKEv2 uses EAP as a sub-protocol for user
authentication.  This provides a well-specified and extensible
architecture.  To this day EAP does not provide a simple password-
based authentication method.  The only existing password
authentication methods either require the peer to know the password
in advance (EAP-MD5), or are needlessly complex when used within
IKEv2 (e.g.  PEAP).  This document codifies the common practice of
using EAP-GTC for this type of authentication, with the goal of
achieving maximum interoperability.  The various security issues are
extensively analyzed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sheffer-ipsecme-ikev2-gtc-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.