Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Baseline Encoding and Transport of Pre-Congestion Information
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-08-20

The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
The overall rate of the PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the
PCN-domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
configured rates are exceeded.  The level of marking allows the
boundary nodes to make decisions about whether to admit or block a
new flow request, and (in abnormal circumstances) whether to
terminate some of the existing flows, thereby protecting the QoS of
previously admitted flows.  This document specifies how such marks
are to be encoded into the IP header by re-using the Explicit
Congestion Notification (ECN) codepoints within this controlled
domain.  The baseline encoding described here provides for only two
PCN encoding states, Not-marked and PCN-marked.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-baseline-encoding-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.