Subject: I-D Action:draft-iab-mpls-tp-uncoord-harmful-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : "Uncoordinated Protocol Development Considered Harmful"
	Author(s)       : S. Bryant, M. Morrow
	Filename        : draft-iab-mpls-tp-uncoord-harmful-02.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2009-09-24

This document identifies problems that may result from the absence of
formal coordination and joint development on protocols of mutual
interest between standards development organizations.  Some of these
problems may cause significant harm to the Internet.  The document
suggests that a robust procedure is required prevent this from
occurring in the future.  The IAB has selected a number of case
studies, such as T-MPLS, as recent examples to describe hazard to the
Internet architecture as a result of uncoordinated adaptation of a
protocol.

This experience has resulted in a considerable improvement in the
relationship between the IETF and the ITU-T.  In particular, this was
achieved via the establishment of the "Joint working team on MPLS-TP"
  In addition, the leadership of the two organisations agreed to
improve inter-organizational working practices so as to avoid
conflict in the future between ITU-T Recommendations and IETF RFCs.

Whilst we use ITU-T - IETF interactions in these case studies, the
scope of the document extends to all SDO that have an overlapping
protocol interest with the IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-mpls-tp-uncoord-harmful-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.