Subject: I-D Action:draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-motivation-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Re-ECN: A Framework for adding Congestion Accountability to TCP/IP
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-motivation-01.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2009-09-18

This document describes the framework to support a new protocol for
explicit congestion notification (ECN), termed re-ECN, which can be
deployed incrementally around unmodified routers.  Re-ECN allows
accurate congestion monitoring throughout the network thus enabling
the upstream party at any trust boundary in the internetwork to be
held responsible for the congestion they cause, or allow to be
caused.  So, networks can introduce straightforward accountability
for congestion and policing mechanisms for incoming traffic from end-
customers or from neighbouring network domains.  As well as giving
the motivation for re-ECN this document also gives examples of
mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data sources respond
correctly to congestion.  And it describes example mechanisms that
ensure the dominant selfish strategy of both network domains and end-
points will be to use the protocol honestly.

Authors' Statement: Status (to be removed by the RFC Editor)

Although the re-ECN protocol is intended to make a simple but far-
reaching change to the Internet architecture, the most immediate
priority for the authors is to delay any move of the ECN nonce to
Proposed Standard status.  The argument for this position is
developed in Appendix E.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-re-ecn-tcp-motivation-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.