Subject: I-D Action:draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Nede for Congestion Exposure in the Internet
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2009-09-30

Over the past decades, TCP's congestion control algorithm has allowed
the Internet to grow enormously whilst saving it from congestion
collapse.  However, TCP is applied on a voluntary base with bandwidth
shared among flows instead of users.  This causes problems,
especially at peak times when the network becomes saturated, and this
leads some ISPs to police traffic to alleviate congestion.  However,
since congestion on the downstream path of a flow is not visible,
these approaches are blind to the true impact of the traffic being
policed and are not effective enough.

We propose congestion exposure as a possible solution.  This means
that a flow reveals an estimate of the congestion it causes on its
remaining downstream path.  Congestion exposure gives many benfits
including meaningful policing at network ingresses, congestion-based
accounting between ISPs, fairer bandwidth sharing among users,
increased trust in the congestion-responsiveness of end-systems, and
possibly congestion-dependent load balancing and routing.  In short
congestion exposure leads to a more efficient and fairer Internet.
This document motivates the need for congestion exposure and
illustrates its usefulness in different use cases.  Therefore,
actions should be taken to implement a simple form of congestion
exposure in the Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.