Subject: I-D Action:draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:45:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Roadmap for Cryptographic Authentication of Routing Protocol Packets on the Wire
	Author(s)       : G. Lebovitz
	Filename        : draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-02.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2009-09-24

In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of
"Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is
documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948].  Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for
"[t]ightening the security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four
main steps were identified for improving the security of the routing
infrastructure.  One of those steps was "securing the routing
protocols' packets on the wire."  One mechanism for securing routing
protocol packets on the wire is the use of per-packet cryptographic
message authentication, providing both peer authentication and
message integrity.  Many different routing protocols exist and they
employ a range of different transport subsystems.  Therefore there
must necessarily be various methods defined for applying
cryptographic authentication to these varying protocols.  Many
routing protocols already have some method for accomplishing
cryptographic message authentication.  However, in many cases the
existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and/or employ
cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  This document
creates a roadmap of protocol specification work for the use of
modern cryptogrpahic mechanisms and algorithms for message
authentication in routing protocols.  It also defines the framework
for a key management protocol that may be used to create and manage
session keys for message authentication and integrity.  This roadmap
reflects the input of both the security area and routing area in
order to form a jointly agreed upon and prioritized work list for the
effort.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lebovitz-kmart-roadmap-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.