Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 07:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : J. Seedorf, E. Burger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-09-15

Distributed applications -- such as file sharing, real-time
communication, and live and on-demand media streaming -- prevalent on
the Internet use a significant amount of network resources.  Such
applications often transfer large amounts of data through connections
established between nodes distributed across the Internet with little
knowledge of the underlying network topology.  Some applications are
so designed that they choose a random subset of peers from a larger
set to exchange data with.  Absence any topology information guiding
such choices, or acting on sub-optimal or local information obtained
from measurements and statistics, these applications often make less
than desirable choices.

This document discusses issues related to an information-sharing
service that enables applications to perform better-than-random peer
selection.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-problem-statement-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.