Subject: I-D Action:draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Synchronized Playback in Rapid Acquisition of Multicast Sessions
	Author(s)       : P. Yang, Y. Wang
	Filename        : draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2009-10-26

When watching the same IPTV channel, different TV sets may not
render the same picture and the associated audio at the same moment.
The variation in end-to-end delay that resulted in such
asynchronous playback between users is referred to as inter-user
playback delay.  Unicast based rapid acquisition of multicast RTP
sessions (RAMS) as specified in [I-D.ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-
for-rtp] is an important technique in achieving fast channel
switching in IPTV as well as other multicast applications.  In
addition, RAMS also significantly relaxes the requirement of
relatively short random access point period in encoding of video
streams in multicast applications, thus allowing significantly
improved compression efficiency.  However, on the other hand, the
use of RAMS increases inter-user playback delay, which makes users
receiving the same multicast session playback the same content
asynchronously.  This document specifies a mechanism to help reduce
inter-user playback delay caused by the use of RAMS.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.