Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kitamura-ipv6-neighbor-cache-update-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Neighbor Cache Update
	Author(s)	: H. Kitamura, S. Ata, M. Murata
	Filename	: draft-kitamura-ipv6-neighbor-cache-update-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2009-10-19
	
   This document describes IPv6 neighbor cache update methods from
   external nodes. In current communication environments, using status
   of IP addresses is frequently changed by several operations, such
   as disconnecting / connecting nodes to networks at mobile
   environments, suspending / hibernating / resuming nodes, and
   consuming large number of IP addresses dynamically when ephemeral
   address [Ephemeral] function is enabled.

   When using status of an IP address is changed from "Used" to "Not
   Used", its related used resources such as neighbor cache entry
   should be deleted cooperatively from security enhancement viewpoint
   and efficient resource management viewpoint.

   [RFC4861] defines neighbor discovery methods and describes how to
   manage neighbor cache entries by neighbor discovery messages.
   However, [RFC4861] does not define quick and clear neighbor cache
   update (delete) functions.

   In order to meet above request, this document proposes two types of
   IPv6 neighbor cache update (delete) methods from external nodes.
   One is a heuristic type method that does NOT require neighbor
   discovery message extensions. The other is an explicit type method
   that requires small neighbor discovery message extensions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-neighbor-cache-update-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.