Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts using the "Bump-In-the-Stack" Technique (BIS)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2009-10-18

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Stack" (BIS) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family. Furthermore,
this technology avoids need for unnecessary double protocol
translation in the case where destination is dual-stack enabled.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity. In the dual stack
network case, single address family applications in the host will
communicate directly with other hosts reachable with the same address
family. In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
IPv4-originated communications have to be be translated into IPv6.
IPv6 communications may have to translated similarly to IPv4. In the
scenario of single address family access network, but dual-stack
destination, network based translation is always avoided.
Technically, the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses of the destination and behaves according to received
responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
TSUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI's [RFC2767],
which similarly provides a dual stack host means to communicate with
other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The original document
was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect three components:

1. Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2. Supporting IPv4 only network connections

3. Supporting Well Known Prefix

Huang, et al.

Expires April 21, 2010

  [page 2]

RFC 2767bis

Dual Stack Hosts using BIS

September 2009

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.