Subject: I-D Action:draft-begen-avt-rapid-sync-rtcp-xr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multicast Acquisition Report Block Type for RTCP XR
	Author(s)       : A. Begen, E. Friedrich
	Filename        : draft-begen-avt-rapid-sync-rtcp-xr-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-10-22

In most RTP-based multicast applications, the RTP source sends inter-
related data.  Due to this interdependency, randomly joining RTP
receivers usually cannot start consuming the multicast data right
after they join the session.  Thus, they often experience a random
acquisition delay.  One approach to reduce this delay is to use an
auxiliary unicast RTP session with a retransmission server to receive
a burst stream that facilitates rapid acquisition of the multicast
stream.  An RTP receiver may use this approach (or any other
approach) to achieve rapid acquisition.  Yet, due to various factors,
performance of the rapid acquisition methods usually varies.
Furthermore, in some cases the RTP receiver may (or may have to) do a
simple multicast join.  For quality reporting, monitoring and
diagnostics purposes, it is important to collect detailed information
from the RTP receivers about their acquisition and presentation
experiences.  This document addresses this issue by defining a new
report block type, called Multicast Acquisition (MA) Report Block,
within the framework of RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Extended Reports
(XR).  This document also defines the necessary signaling of the new
MA report block type in the Session Description Protocol (SDP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-begen-avt-rapid-sync-rtcp-xr-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.