Subject: I-D Action:draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 19:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Motivation for SIP as an application protocol for 6lowpan devices
	Author(s)       : A. Roychowdhury, S. Gouran
	Filename        : draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-10-18

The Smart Grid [8] initiative is an effort in modernization of the 
electricity grid using communication technology with the primary 
goals of reducing energy consumption, reducing cost (utilities and 
consumers), increasing reliability and the creation of new services 
for all participants in the value chain. The core focus of this 
initiative is the specification of a 'Communications Overlay' network 
which can help facilitate intelligent communication (discovery, 
session establishment, routing, addressing to name a few)  between 
various nodes of the heterogeneous Smart Grid network. 

Roychowdhury

 Expires - April 2010

  [page 1] 
  Motivation for SIP as an application protocol for 6lowpan devices

One of the 'network segments' of the Smart Grid network is the Home 
Area Network (HAN) and how residential and/or commercial devices 
(such as TV, washing machine, surveillance camera, etc.) interact 
with the smart meter/energy management system and vice-versa. 
 
This draft is an initial input for consideration of SIP as an 
appropriate application protocol for use inside devices that operate 
over low powered IP networks.  
 
The authors do NOT propose the use of SIP for all HAN devices. 
Rather, the authors believe that SIP is an appropriate protocol for 
certain categories of devices and therefore, the 6lowapp group should 
consider SIP as an appropriate protocol for the same. The final 
protocol that is ideal for a particular device communication will 
always be determined by the use-case(s) that are envisioned for the 
same. 
 
This draft does NOT discuss the use of SIP inside the smart meter 
(while the authors believe that the smart meter would also benefit 
from SIP, that is the scope of another draft and does not apply to 
the 6lowapp work). Therefore, in all diagrams and references, the 
authors have used the term 'Energy Management System (EMS)' to refer 
to the customer premise EMS that may or may not be the smart meter 
itself. 

Conventions used in this document 
 
In examples, "C:" and "S:" indicate lines sent by the client and 
server respectively. 
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [1]. 
 
The term EMS refers to the customer premise Energy Management System 
which may be the smart meter or an adjunct devices that communicates 
with the utility core network for the purposes of energy management 
and billing.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roychowdhury-6lowappsip-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.