Subject: I-D Action:draft-zhang-fibaggregation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : FIB Aggregation
	Author(s)       : B. Zhang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-zhang-fibaggregation-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2009-10-19

The rapid growth of Forwarding Information Base (FIB) has raised
concerns among many Internet Service Providers.  One potential
solution to this problem is FIB aggregation, i.e. aggregating FIB
entries without affecting the forwarding paths taken by data traffic.
It is a purely local software optimization limited within a router,
requiring no changes to routing protocols or router hardware.  To
understand the feasibility of using FIB aggregation to extend router
lifetime, we present several FIB aggregation algorithms and evaluate
their performance using routing tables and updates from tens of
networks.  We find that FIB aggregation can reduce the FIB table size
by as much as 70% with small computational overhead.  We also show
that the computational overhead can be controlled through various
mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-fibaggregation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.