Subject: I-D Action:draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Need for Congestion Exposure in the Internet
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2009-10-15

The success of the Internet is largely down to the elegant manner in
which it shares capacity amongst all users while avoiding congestion
collapse.  However this relies on the cooperation of all end users to
work efficiently.  Increasingly a small minority of users are able to
grab larger and larger shares of the network leading ISPs to impose
arbitrary controls on traffic.  These controls set ISPs on a direct
collision course with their customers and the regulators.

The root of the problem lies in the fact the ISPs are unable to see
the most important information about the traffic - namely the amount
of congestion that traffic is going to cause in the network.  We
propose congestion exposure as a possible solution.  Every packet
will carry an accurate prediction of the congestion it expects to
cause downstream.  This memo sets out the motivations for congestion
exposure and introduces a strawman protocol designed to achieve
congestion exposure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.