Subject: I-D Action:draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 05:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Need for Congestion Exposure in the Internet
	Author(s)       : T. Moncaster, et al.
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2009-10-23

The success of the Internet is largely down to the ability to share
capacity amongst all users while avoiding congestion collapse.
However this relies on the cooperation of all end users to work
efficiently - even if everyone uses TCP, a minority of users can
command a large share of the network.  To mitigate the growth in this
problem over recent years, some ISPs have imposed various controls on
traffic using a range of proprietary approaches.  These controls set
ISPs in conflict with their customers and with some regulators.

The root of the problem lies in the fact the ISPs are unable to see
the most important information about the traffic - namely the amount
of congestion that traffic is going to cause in the network.  We
propose congestion exposure as a possible solution.  This allows
packets to carry an accurate prediction of the congestion they expect
to cause downstream.  This memo sets out the motivations for
congestion exposure and introduces a strawman protocol designed to
achieve congestion exposure.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-congestion-exposure-problem-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.