Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-sasl-scram-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Simple Authentication and Security Layer Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Salted Challenge Response (SCRAM) SASL and GSS-API Mechanism
	Author(s)       : A. Menon-Sen, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sasl-scram-08.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2009-10-02

The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
Internet application protocols is the transmission of clear-text
passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security (TLS).
There are some significant security concerns with that mechanism,
which could be addressed by the use of a challenge response
authentication mechanism protected by TLS.  Unfortunately, the
challenge response mechanisms presently on the standards track all
fail to meet requirements necessary for widespread deployment, and
have had success only in limited use.

This specification describes a family of Simple Authentication and
Security Layer (SASL, RFC 4422) authentication mechanisms called the
Salted Challenge Response Authentication Mechanism (SCRAM), which
addresses the security concerns and meets the deployability
requirements.  When used in combination with TLS or an equivalent
security layer, a mechanism from this family could improve the
status-quo for application protocol authentication and provide a
suitable choice for a mandatory-to-implement mechanism for future
application protocol standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sasl-scram-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.