Subject: I-D Action:draft-cui-softwire-pet-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 01:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence Framework (PET)
	Author(s)       : Y. Cui, et al.
	Filename        : draft-cui-softwire-pet-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2009-10-26

IPv4 and IPv6 are expected to coexist for a long period.  Currently,
there are many IPv4/IPv6 transition/coexistence technologies, which
can be generally divided into two categories: translation and
tunneling.  Both translation and tunneling have limitations and
application scopes.  In some typical transition scenarios, tunneling
and translation are needed at the same time.  In addition, there may
be multiple network devices capable of doing translation or tunneling
along the end-to-end path.  It's important to choose particular
device(devices) for doing translation or tunneling.

This draft presents an IPv4-IPv6 transition/coexistence framework
named PET (short for Prefixing, Encapsulation and Translation).  PET
is a network side solution which includes fundamental elements needed
in various transition scenarios.  In PET framework, signaling is
required for transition devices to exchange necessary information and
negotiate how to do combine transition and tunneling cooperatively.
This draft also addresses how to deploy PETs and analyze the
advantages and disadvantages of typical transition technologies that
PET may adopt.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-softwire-pet-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.