Subject: I-D Action:draft-bernardos-netext-pmipv6-mih-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : PMIPv6 operation with IEEE 802.21
	Author(s)       : C. Bernardos, et al.
	Filename        : draft-bernardos-netext-pmipv6-mih-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2009-10-26

The NETLMM WG standardized Proxy Mobile IPv6 (PMIPv6).  PMIPv6
enables mobile devices to connect to a PMIPv6 domain and roam across
gateways without changing the IP address.  PMIPv6 also provides
limited multi-homing support to multi-mode mobile devices.

While the basic scenario addressed by PMIPv6 considers MNs with just
one interface, PMIPv6 also allows an MN to connect to the same PMIPv6
domain through different interfaces.  This limited support of multi-
interfaced MNs is not fully specified, since the MAG needs to obtain/
guess additional information from the MN, in order to decide whether
to treat an MN's interface attachment as a handover or as new
interface attachment (i.e. meaning the creation of a new mobility
session and, therefore, the allocation of new home network prefixes
to the MN).  The use of the Media Independent Handover (MIH) Services
as defined in the IEEE 802.21-2008 specification [IEEE80221] may help
in obtaining this additional information.  This I-D describes how
PMIPv6 would work in an 802.21-enabled scenario, and in particular,
analyzes how MIH primitives can be used to help the MAG deal with
multi-technology scenarios.  The main objective of the IEEE 802.21-
2008 standard is to provide link layer intelligence to upper layers.
Hence, a more intelligent decision making capability leading to more
reliable and efficient handovers between heterogeneous networks can
be enabled.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bernardos-netext-pmipv6-mih-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.