Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-hain-ipv6-edit-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: IPv6 Edge Domain Implicit Tunnel (EDIT)
	Author(s)	: T. Hain
	Filename	: draft-hain-ipv6-edit-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2009-10-19
	
   There will be IPv4-only applications that remain in use as network
   managers begin deploying IPv6-only networks, or turning off IPv4 in
   the exiting dual-stack networks.  These applications require a dual-   stack capable host operating system, but that OS may find that the
   local network has not provided on-link IPv4 provisioning or routing
   support for the resulting packets.  Skepticism that this situation
   will exist is widespread; because it is easy to ignore the costs
   someone else will incur and focus on the local situation.  Taking the
   system level viewpoint, that skepticism makes no sense when it is
   widely acknowledged that people will resist replacing something that
   is working, particularly when the reason it might artificially stop
   is due to 'someone else's problem'.  The reality of IPv4-only
   applications persisting in an IPv6-only provisioned network is
   specifically ignored by RFC 4038.  This document deals with the
   situation by defining a new tunneling type for use within the edge or
   leaf network to the border where it interconnects with an IPv4
   routing domain.

   The draft is being discussed on the [email-masked] list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-edit-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.