Subject: I-D Action:draft-penno-ledbat-app-practices-recommendations-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 21:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : LEDBAT Practices and Recommendations for Managing Multiple Concurrent TCP Connections
	Author(s)       : R. Penno, et al.
	Filename        : draft-penno-ledbat-app-practices-recommendations-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2009-10-21

Applications routinely open multiple TCP connections.  For example,
P2P applications maintain connections to a number of different peers
and web browsers perform concurrent download from the same web
server.  Application designers pursue different goals when doing so:
P2P apps need to maintain a well-connected mesh in the swarm while
web browsers mainly use multiple connections to parallelize requests
that involve application latency on the web server side.  However
this practice also has impacts to the host and the network as a
whole. For example, an application can obtain a larger fraction of
the bottleneck than if it had used fewer connections. Although
capacity is the most commonly considered bottleneck resource,
middlebox state table entries are also an important resource for an
end system communication.

This document clarifies the current practices of application design
involving concurrent TCP connections and reasons behind them, and
discusses the tradeoffs surrounding their use, whether to one
destination or to different destinations. Other resource types may
exist, and the guidelines are expected to comprehensively discuss
them.

Conventions used in this document

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC2119.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-ledbat-app-practices-recommendations-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.