Subject: I-D Action:draft-harjula-p2psip-loadbalancing-survey-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Load balancing models for DHT-based Peer-to-Peer Networks
	Author(s)       : E. Harjula, M. Ylianttila
	Filename        : draft-harjula-p2psip-loadbalancing-survey-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-10-15

This draft provides a review of the proposed load balancing methods
for structured (DHT-based) P2P systems, and introduces their
operating principles and main characteristics.  To maximize
performance, reliability and fairness of a structured P2P system, the
load between the nodes should be equally or nearly equally
distributed.  Structured P2P systems are usually based on Distributed
Hash Tables (DHT), that distribute peers to the identifier space and
objects among peers by choosing random identifiers for them.  In the
worst case, this may result in O(log N) imbalance of object
distribution between the peers, causing high degree of heterogeneity
in loads of peer nodes.  Other sources for load imbalance are
frequent arrival and departure of nodes (i.e. churn) and the
variation in both the size and the popularity of objects.  Load
balancing in structured P2P systems has been thoroughly studied
during the past years.  In this draft, we introduce and compare the
existing fundamental load balancing models.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-harjula-p2psip-loadbalancing-survey-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.