Subject: I-D Action:draft-zhang-fibaggregation-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : FIB Aggregation
	Author(s)       : B. Zhang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-zhang-fibaggregation-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2009-10-26

The rapid growth of Forwarding Information Base (FIB) has raised
concerns among many Internet Service Providers.  One potential
solution to this problem is FIB aggregation, i.e. letting each router
aggregate its FIB entries without affecting the forwarding paths
taken by data traffic.  It is a simple local software optimization
within a router, requiring no changes to routing protocols or router
hardware.  To understand the effectiveness of using FIB aggregation
to extend router lifetime, in this draft we present several FIB
aggregation algorithms and evaluate their performance using routing
tables and updates collected from tens of networks.  Our results show
that FIB aggregation can reduce the FIB table size by as much as 70%
with small computational overhead.  We also show that the
computational overhead can be controlled through various mechanisms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-fibaggregation-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.