Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-ancp-framework-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 03:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Access Node Control Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Framework and Requirements for an Access Node Control Mechanism in Broadband Multi-Service Networks
	Author(s)       : S. Ooghe, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ancp-framework-12.txt
	Pages           : 55
	Date            : 2009-10-05

The purpose of this document is to define a framework for an Access
Node Control Mechanism between a Network Access Server (NAS) and an
Access Node (e.g. a Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer
(DSLAM)) in a multi-service reference architecture in order to
perform QoS-related, service-related and Subscriber-related
operations.  The Access Node Control Mechanism will ensure that the
transmission of the information does not need to go through distinct
element managers but rather using a direct device-device
communication.  This allows for performing access link related
operations within those network elements, while avoiding impact on
the existing Operational Support Systems (OSSes).

This document first identifies a number of use cases for which the
Access Node Control Mechanism may be appropriate.  It then presents
the requirements for the Access Node Control Protocol that must be
taken into account during protocol design.  Finally, it describes
requirements for the network elements that need to support ANCP and
the described use cases.  These requirements should be seen as
guidelines rather than as absolute requirements.  RFC 2119 therefore
does not apply to the nodal requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ancp-framework-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.