Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-API" (BIA)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2009-10-18

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-API" (BIA) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family. 

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity. In the dual stack
network case, single address family applications in the host will
communicate directly with other hosts using the same address family.
In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination, IPv4-
originated communications have to be be translated into IPv6. IPv6
communications may have to translated similarly to IPv4. Technically,
the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the
destination and behaves according to received responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Seungyun
Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and Erik Nordmark's
[RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host means to
communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect three components:

1. Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2. Supporting IPv4 only network connections

3. Supporting Well Known Prefix

4. Removing Applicability and Disclaimer

The goal of this mechanism is the same as that of the Bump-in-the-
stack mechanism, but this mechanism provides the translation method
between the IPv4 APIs and IPv6 APIs.  Thus, the goal is simply
achieved without IP header translation.

Huang, et al.

Expires April 22, 2010

  [page 2]

RFC 3338bis

Dual Stack Hosts Using BIA

  October 2009

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.