Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IP/ICMP Translation Algorithm
	Author(s)       : X. Li, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2009-10-19

This document specifies an update to the Stateless IP/ICMP
Translation Algorithm (SIIT) described in RFC 2765.  The algorithm
translates between IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers (including ICMP
headers).

This specification addresses both a stateless and a stateful mode.
In the stateless mode, translation information is carried in the
address itself, permitting both IPv4->IPv6 and IPv6->IPv4 session
establishment without maintaining state in the IP/ICMP translator.
In the stateful mode, translation state is maintained between IPv4
address/transport port tuples and IPv6 address/transport port tuples,
enabling IPv6 systems to open sessions with IPv4 systems.  The choice
of operational mode is made by the operator deploying the network and
is critical to the operation of the applications using it.

Significant issues exist in the stateless and stateful modes that are
not addressed in this document, related to the address assignment and
the maintenance of the translation tables, respectively.  This
document confines itself to the actual translation.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is a product of the 2008-2009 effort to define a
replacement for NAT-PT.  It is an update to and directly derivative
from Erik Nordmark's [RFC2765], which similarly provides both
stateless and stateful translation between IPv4 [RFC0791] and IPv6
[RFC2460], and between ICMPv4 [RFC0792] and ICMPv6 [RFC4443].  The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect five components:

1.  Redescribing the network model to map to present and projected

 usage [I-D.ietf-behave-v6v4-framework].

2.  Moving the address format to the address format document

 [I-D.ietf-behave-address-format], to coordinate with other drafts

 on the topic.

3.  Describing both stateful and stateless operation.
4.  Some changes in ICMP.

5.  Updating references.

Requirements

The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
document are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-v6v4-xlate-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.