Subject: I-D Action:draft-yao-opsawg-anycast-ping-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A tool for checking Anycast Group Configuration (AGC)
	Author(s)       : C. Yao
	Filename        : draft-yao-opsawg-anycast-ping-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2009-11-18

Anycast is applied in many protocols to provide automatically fault 
recovery (high availability) and scalability, i.e Anycast RP in PIM, 
Cooperative Home Agent and Cooperative Foreign Agent in Mobile IP. 

When the Operator's engineer completing configuring an anycast group,
they need a tool to check whether each group member can be reached
by the anycast address (instead of by each member's  unicast address)

When the anycast group members are changed, e.g. there are some new
members added on, there are some old members deleted from the group,
a tool is needed to check whether the changed group/member can be 
reached by the anycast address as it should be.

When an anycast group have been canceled by configuration, there need 
a tool to check whether the anycast group configuration have been wiped 
off from all group members.

The existing method is to use existent PING command to ping the 
anycast address. This existing method can only prove whether one 
member in the anycast group instead of all members of the anycast 
group identified by the anycast address can be reached by that 
anycast address. Hence it cannot satisfy above problems.

This document provides a solution to prove that each member of a 
given anycast group can be arrived by that anycast address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yao-opsawg-anycast-ping-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.