Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-zou-avt-new-tlv-element-rams-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: A new TLV RAMS-I element for RAMS
	Author(s)	: Z. Zou, Y. Wang
	Filename	: draft-zou-avt-new-tlv-element-rams-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 2009-11-24
	
[I-D.ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp] defines a method for rapid 
   acquisition of multicast sessions (RAMS).  Upon accepting the first 
   RAMS-R message, RS MUST echo an RAMS-I message as a response to RR.  
   This document proposes to optionally convey a parameter called 
   unicast backspace in the RAMS-I message.  Unicast backspace is the 
   RTP timestamp difference between the first unicast burst packet to be 
   sent and the latest primary multicast packet in the buffer of RS.  
   The RTP timestamps values for these packets are taken from the 
   primary multicast stream.  The parameter is a constant once RS 
   chooses a starting point for the unicast burst.  This parameter can 
   be used by RR to determine when to join the primary multicast session. 
   RR would not rely on RAMS-I to revise the earliest multicast join 
   time after the burst rate is changed by RS and therefore is immune to 
   the lose of RAMS-I. Moreover, if this parameter is known, RR with 
   appropriate playback control can reduce the additional end-to-end 
   delay introduced by the RAMS process or can enable the RS to serve 
   the RR with shorter burst duration and therefore save the bandwidth 
   of RS export and the burst forwarding path. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zou-avt-new-tlv-element-rams-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.