Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobility for IP: Performance, Signaling and Handoff Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Fast Handovers for Proxy Mobile IPv6
	Author(s)       : H. Yokota, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-11.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2009-11-28

Mobile IPv6 (MIPv6) [RFC3775] provides a mobile node with IP mobility
when it performs a handover from one access router to another and
fast handovers for Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) [RFC5568] are specified to
enhance the handover performance in terms of latency and packet loss.
While MIPv6 (and FMIPv6 as well) requires the participation of the
mobile node in the mobility-related signaling, Proxy Mobile IPv6
(PMIPv6) [RFC5213] provides IP mobility to mobile nodes that either
have or do not have MIPv6 functionality without such involvement.
Nevertheless, the basic performance of PMIPv6 in terms of handover
latency and packet loss is considered not any different from that of
MIPv6.

When the fast handover is considered in such an environment, several
modifications are needed to FMIPv6 to adapt to the network-based
mobility management.  This document specifies the usage of Fast
Mobile IPv6 (FMIPv6) when Proxy Mobile IPv6 is used as the mobility
management protocol.  Necessary extensions are specified for FMIPv6
to support the scenario when the mobile node does not have IP
mobility functionality and hence is not involved with either MIPv6 or
FMIPv6 operations.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.
Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 1, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-pfmipv6-11.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.