Subject: I-D Action:draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:15:04 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.
	Author(s)       : O. Gudmundsson, S. Rose
	Filename        : draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2009-11-16

RFC 2119 defines words that are used in IETF standards documents to
indicate standards compliance.  These words are fine for defining new
protocols, but there are certain deficiencies in using them when it
comes to protocol maintainability.  Protocols are maintained by
either updating the core specifications or via changes in protocol
registries.

For example, protocols often use external algorithms to to provide
security functionality such as cryptography.  Cryptographic
algorithms frequently have limited life cycles as new algorithms are
phased in to replace older algorithms.

This document proposes standard terms to use in protocol registries
and possibly in standards track documents to indicate the life cycle
support of protocol features and operations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.