Subject: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Verification Involving PSTN Reachability: Requirements and Architecture Overview
	Author(s)       : J. Rosenberg, C. Jennings
	Filename        : draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-00.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2009-11-08

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has seen widespread deployment
within individual domains, typically supporting voice and video
communications.  Though it was designed from the outset to support
inter-domain federation over the public Internet, such federation has
not materialized.  The primary reasons for this are the complexities
of inter-domain phone number routing, and concerns over security.
This document reviews this problem space, outlines requirements, and
then describes a new model and technique for inter-domain federation
with SIP, called Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (ViPR).
ViPR addresses the problems that have prevented inter-domain
federation over the Internet.  It provides fully distributed inter-
domain routing for phone numbers, authorized mappings from phone
numbers to domains, a new technique for automated VOIP anti-spam, and
privacy of number ownership, all while preserving the trapezoidal
model of SIP.

Legal

This documents and the information contained therein are provided on
an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE
REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE
IETF TRUST AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL
WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION THEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE
ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on May 12, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.